Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lapierre Zesty 314…opinions?
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Anyone got "realworld" experience of this bike at all?

lesinge
    Free Member

Had mine a year now, replaced the saddle after 3 months because it basically disintegrated. Seat clamp was fudged after 8 months. Replaced 1st bottom bracket after 6 months, just replaced the headset and now having to replace another bottom bracket. Having said that, all this gets forgotten as soon as you get it on the trail, the bike is an absolute scream. Definitely recommended if your thinking of buying one (just be prepared for some maintenance issues 😕 )

matthewmountain
    Free Member

How are the pivot bearings holding up? Have you replaced them? I'm thinking of ordering a 314 this week, after much research!!The maintenance doesn't sound that bad after all most bikes come with crap headsets even at £2.5K plus! Pound for pound i'm not sure a press fit BB works out any more expsnive than a Hope BB given the replacement bearings are £30 a set!! Less bling value though!!

I'm also after folks thoughts about real world Zesty experience, especially in the winter/mud. how do those bearings hold up?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No idea about longjevity, but had a brief demo on one and even on a relatively tame bit of trail I swear there was some witchcraft going on.

The price is what I cant justify, anyone else remember when MBR's "ultimate trail bike" test was for bikes arround £2k, with bling cutom builds at £3k?

Every full susser is about 30% more expensive than I could ever justify. And the entry level seems to have been pushed upto about £1700. Its just daft!

lesinge
    Free Member

So far all good regarding pivot bearings, I've been meaning to whip the shock out to have a proper looky. There's only the main pivot thats an enduro bearing IIRC, the rest are bushes I think.

You're right about the headset being crap, was surprised by the cheapness of it, hardly any sealing to speak of either, Hope integral fitted and a million times better.

They are a deceptively fast bike, especially with that rear Race King fitted, I'd say go for it and order one 😀 You won't regret it

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Maintenance wise they are no worse than any other bike.
    4 bearings in the link and 2 in the main pivot. Re-grease every now and again (start winter, end winter and mid summer) and they'll run for ages…mine are 16 months old and just needing replaced. Pivot (bush) near the rear axle needs cleaning every few weeks in winter as it tends to get filled with sticky crap. 16 months and still on the original headset (re-greased every 3 months or so) and first BB lasted 12 months.

nasher
    Free Member

they dont like being washed!!!! especially around the BB, if you do make sure you remove the seatpost and place upside down overnight.

water and moisture builds up in the BB shell and destroyes the bearings..

matthewmountain
    Free Member

Does the 314 suffer from a lack of propedal on the shock?

My Lapierre dealer says it doesn't need it as the frame is designed to work withou it, in which case why do the higher up models come with propedal shocks?

Being phoned back with a price for 314!!

lesinge
    Free Member

Not exactly sure why the difference in shocks, but I notice that the higher end ones have boost valving too which may be the reason??? As for the standard Float R, there's hardly any pedal bob at all unless you really move about the cockpit a lot. A mate of mine was following me up a climb a while back, when we got to the top he was looking for the pro pedal lever, the design does work very well 😆

hughjengin
    Free Member

I have a 09 314 with the standard Float R fitted. I have to say I love the bike, I dont notice too much bob when pedalling, so its never really an issue, and to be honest I am very much a set and forget sort of rider (I rarely bother with locking out my forks or faffing with stuff mid ride to be honest) That being said, a mate of mine just got a 2010 carbon 714 with the RP2 shock with propedal on. And it does props up in its travel better for climbing than mine so he can get in a better climbing position, but would I say it really bothers me ? not so much really ! I run mine at the upper end of the sag range (nearer to 20-25% sag as opposed to 30%)

Its a great bike, for battering over silly stuff with a cavalier attitude that otherwise you would be far more cautious on a different machine.

I have been through a couple of lower shock eyelet bushing since having it a year ago, but I have rode it through this crappy winter just gone.

nickegg
    Free Member

I don't own a 314 but i do have a 514….i'm only a few weeks into owning it but it is amazing.

It just absolutly flies and i just want to ride everything as fast as possible! It also seems to want to take off at every opportunity. I've been cleaning climbs i have struggled to do in the past on my old Orange 5.

I only use the propedal to help prop the bike up and steepen the angles abit when doing road sections or climbs. I also own a Cove Handjob so i prefer a stiffer rear end when climbing most stuff.

….and it is completely bob-free in any gear.

Don't hesitate…buy it!

chakaping
    Free Member

I got a 214 the other day, albeit with quite a few upgrades (but not the shock).

Don't worry about the Float R. It's really taut and climbs very well.

Before I bought it I was thinking about getting the shock Pushed, but I don't think I need to now I've ridden it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lapierre Zesty 314…opinions?’ is closed to new replies.