Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • langsett question: mbr says refreshments available Stanhope Arms = ****
  • antigee

mbr says refreshments available Stanhope Arms in Langsett/snow rd route this month – i ride past probably a couple of times a month and as far as i know it has been shut about 4 years (+) – has it reopened?

(feel free to point out that article is journo/rehash-crap but if is open will take kids in half term)

matt_outandabout

Maybe the ran the route back in 2001 and keep reprinting every few years….

compositepro
    Free Member

Nope as far as i’m aware stanhope is shut…there was talk of it becoming a lapdancing bar though??
    Fox and hounds is just up the road at the back of carlecoates and they used to do cheapish food ,though the prices seem to have gone through the roof otherwise theres t dog and partridge on woodhead but its a bit stay off the moors if you aint from round here….lots of gamekeeper types with their guns still in their defenders

Langsett Caf has had a bit of a refurb not long since

If your feeling a bit dangerous theres a hippy commune just up the road from stanhope rumour has it they have some mega parties in that row of houses

bruneep

Maybe the ran the route back in 2001 and keep reprinting every few years….

Noooooo they would never do that would they?

antigee

Noooooo they would never do that would they?

think so
    thanks compositepro – lapdance bar!!! – manchester and sheffield taxi drivers would like that

must admit never tried the fox and hounds, the langsett cafe is called the daleside – i think and yes is very good/done out cyclist friendly as was in past but more consistent opening now – but with kids is difficulty to get to from TPT (as in cars and truck drivers of a variety of nationalities will try and kill us)

gran0210

Bankside cafe at Langsett, do Latte’s and farm bred ice cream for the kids.There is a little known bridleway that runs up a field from TPT about 2/300m Dunford side of Hazlehead that comes out at the flouch to link to Langsett. It is shown in a route in this months MBR if that helps.
    Apart from a quick sprint across the A628 near the flouch you can get all the way to Langsett without roads.
    I use it regularly, ignore the no cycling sign at the bottom though as the bottom bit from the railway line over a bridge and first 50m up the field is for some bizarre reason a footpath officially, before becoming a bridleway!

pistonbroke
    Free Member

gran- be careful on the footpath-bridleway across Thurlstone Moor, the guy at the house is anti-everything and knows the legallities of that litle bit of footpath. The council has been trying to sort this out for years but not had any success.

gran0210

Thanks, meant don’t be put off by the signs which read like we are not allowed at all when we are if we push the first/last 50m depending which way your going of course.

Will keep an eye out for him, know which one you mean.

simonm
    Free Member

DO NOT RIDE THAT ROUTE IN ANYTHING BUT THE DRIEST DROUGHT !!!

To be honest, Its poor that MBR run that route without researching it, the bridleway from A628 to near Dunford is the boggiest night mare you’ve ever crossed at least 10 months of the year. Last time I rode it there was even a sign up asking walkers not to use it due to erosion.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

“MBR in bad-route” shocker….

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I haven’t seen the MBR route but if it takes in the bit described by Simon (we call it the b@stard hill) they are being irresponsible in publishing it. gran- you will still get an earful even if pushing your bike as it is still illegal to do so and the guy knows it. The history is that the guy won an order to downgrade the BW section from the A616 which runs parallel to the TPT because it ran through his garden, what the council didn’t spot was that the new footpath ran between the end of the Thurlstone Moor BW and the TPT thus making a cul de sac of the BW, they have been trying to upgrade this short bit for about 10 years. I got this from mate who is the ROW officer in Barnsley.
    Stragely, the bit from the A616 is marked as a BW on the 50,000 OS but a FP on the 25,000 and signed as such on the ground.

gran0210

Pistonbroke, you are right about pushing the bike on a footpath but as far as I am aware it is not a criminal offence unless the council has passed a specific bylaw stating no pushing. Been a police officer for 15yrs and yet to see anyone done for that. We have enough on with motor vehicles and can deal with them, the only time I have seen a cyclist prosecuted was repeatedly hurtling round corners nearly killing old ladies on pavements.

Been wrong before but I think it is a civil tresspass matter and would be for the landowner to sue you in court for walking or riding on a footpath, assuming you gave him your name and address for the summons to be served. Police would only get involved if things got ugly ie; fighting. However common sense should prevail, respect for others and environment etc.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Sorry gran, poor choice of words. What I was getting at is that it doesn’t make any difference whether you are pushing or riding the bike. I understand that the guy who lives at the end of the BW is anti everything and also knows the law. Strangely for round here he is also just as aggressive to horse riders hence the barriers at the junction of BW and FP. The council admit they made a cock up with the downgrading but seem powerless to undo it.

compositepro
    Free Member

is this the bloke with the sheepdog ???

gran0210

Don’t know if he has a dog but he lives in the house beside the TPT, right where the path joins the railway line. Never met him and as Pistonbroke said the path avoids his garden now. I don’t want an arguement when I go out but he has to abide by the law too and I don’t like bullys so will continue to use it. Its not an enviromental issue just a bitter old man being awkward.

The practicalities of enforcing this are so difficult I think the only danger is his behaviour. If we behave correctly and don’t allow it to escalate should be fine. Police would only come on blue lights if it borders on fisticuffs.

simonm
    Free Member

Thats interesting, I didn’t know that about the Thurlstone Bridleway / Path, I did ride over that a couple of times, I guess the guy was on Holiday then !

So, its a pretty poor MBR route on many counts !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘langsett question: mbr says refreshments available Stanhope Arms = ****’ is closed to new replies.