Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Lane hogging anyone?
  • chip
    Free Member

You drive religiously at 30 on 30mph roads, you get beeped flashed and regularly offered a Nescafé ( I think that’s what they are saying).

As you will find an ever increasing gap between you and the car in front.
    And the person behind up your arse getting very upset.

trout
    Free Member

I hope this is joke, because if it’s not it’s absolute bollocks.

No its not certainly in the CleckHuddersFax area where there are a gazzillion steath speed cameras I have been driving through here all week and cruising along at the speed limit only to have driving gods Flashing me / trying to pass at every blind bend / passing at said blind bends / generally being pillocks

allthepies
    Free Member

Not sure what that’s got to do with middle lane hogging or driving on motorways. Anyway, you’re clearly set in your ways and relatively harmless so I’m oot 🙂

chip
    Free Member

It’s to do with why I go 75 on motoways.
    As travelling at the speed limit upsets people. And 75 keeps me from upsetting the law.

As a child I was part of the 100 plus brigade, but I grew up.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No its not certainly in the CleckHuddersFax area where there are a gazzillion steath speed cameras I have been driving through here all week and cruising along at the speed limit only to have driving gods Flashing me / trying to pass at every blind bend / passing at said blind bends / generally being pillocks

I’m assuming ‘Hudders’ = Huddersfield
    That’s where my brother lives. I know it reasonably well and have been going there reasonably regularly for many years now.
    Some time ago I worked out that (as I was driving all over the UK for a job) it’s pretty pointless driving fast everywhere. You can’t sustain it and a) Keep your license and b) Relax
    Now, don’t get me wrong, now and again I’ll let loose and I’ve got a vehicle I can really do that with, but I commute 50 miles a day in traffic and I sit at 70 all the time. On longer journeys I set the cruise at 65. I use the inside lane as intended. Any more than a ten second gap and I pull in. It’s not hard. I sit and watch everyone else go past me. I don’t take part in what they do, I just stay out of the way. I’ve done tens if not hundreds of thousands of miles like this. It’s easy to maintain 65-70mph and it’s single numbers of minutes slower per journey than trying to do 80-90 and a lot less stressful.

So that’s two of you talking bollocks now. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Also, what Chip said.. Agreed.

chip
    Free Member

You have the acceleration to pull out.
    If you drive a piece of shit you have to plan pulling out . 😀

sofatester
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Correct

chip – Incorrect

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You have the acceleration to pull out.

If you’re aware of what’s going in around you, no change of speed is necessary.

project
    Free Member

Just back from 1k miles towing a caravan across France, (& around the south of England).

you should have left it there to many of the stupid things cluttering up the roads and nice fields.

Also as the maximum sped for a car is 70 mph why do you need to overtake a vehicle if its doing 70mph

jambourgie
    Free Member

Also 2am deserted motorway why stay in middle lane as this is very dangerous

Could you explain why? Surely if it’s deserted what does it matter what lane you use?

garage-dweller

Peter Poddy +1

I have never found the driving characteristics of what I drive have affected my Lane discipline from tediously slow hire vans to v6 estates and a fair few things in between good Lane discipline is easy. Once they are up to speed of the slip road you anticipate, plan and manoeuvre accordingly.

joepose
    Free Member

Chinese have it sussed, they use whichever lane is most convenient.
    Works a treat 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

I hog the middle lane out of principle and years of owning a smiley transit with the acceleration and maneuverability of a canal boat.

It was suprisingly common for someone to fly down the outside cutting across my lane with about six inches to spare between them and me into the inside lane at 90 mph (I can only imagine they did this to make a point that maybe I was a bad driver ) only for them to have to brake really really hard narrowly avoid ploughing into the back of a lorry.

Cocks.
    I just undertake cocks who drive in the middle lane and cut across from the inside.

chip
    Free Member

If you’re aware of what’s going in around you, no change of speed is necessary.
    POSTED 10 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

You obviously have never driven a vehicle that requires you to add gradient and momentum into your driving strategy.
    Where you capitalise on the downs. And have to utilise the crawler lanes. And if you drop below certain revs you have no where to go but to keep down shifting because the gradient dictates it.

jambourgie
    Free Member

You’re awesome.

scubashark
    Free Member

Chip try going on an Advanced Motorist course, they teach how to drive at the speed limit but obey the rules and teach you Observation, this is key to making progress. I can sit with cruise control on and use all 3 lanes progressively without having to slow or speed up massively, sometimes deselect cruise for 20 seconds to match speed but nothing more.
    With Observation and matching speed to traffic flow you can keep left Except when overtaking.

chip
    Free Member

You’re awesome.

I know,
    Blessed I am.

chip
    Free Member

Cruise control, you crack me up.

I will have cruise control when you are being driven round in a driverless car.

chip
    Free Member

Sorry I have only just stopped laughing at cruise control.
    I am going to have to go as my sides are proper hurting.

grahamh
    Free Member
    peterfile
    Free Member

chip = surfmat

mudmuncher

Yeah but they are speeders.

How many people are killed every year by lane hoggers, less than people speeding I would say.

I do a lot of motorway miles and 90%+ of the road rage I see has been triggered by numpty lane hogs, – undertaking, tailgating, swerving across 3 lanes etc., so I suspect a good proportion of accidents are actually precipitated by lane hogs.

It’s a simple equation. Inconsiderate selfish driving = others drivers getting wound up = road rage = more dangerous driving = accidents and death.

large418
    Free Member

I can’t understand the Chip way of thinking. Is it complete ignorance or inconsideration for others using the road? I feel quite glad I don’t drive much…

crankboy
    Free Member

Chip I drive a panda it is really easy to drive at the speed limit in the correct lane and with observation change lanes to overtake . Perhaps you need some extra tuition .

grahamt1980

Chip isn’t surfmat.
    Surfmat was the end of a bell, but even he wasn’t that bad.

Go drive on the M1 on any day and see what happens when dumbasses refuse to pull into the left lane.
    You just end up with miles of people slowing down and braking while the knobber continues his happy way at 65 with no one inside them.
    I think a system of snipers and hydraulic rams under the roads should be implemented. Simple rule really – In the middle lane with no one inside you for more than a mile = warning shot to the engine block and a hydraulic ram to get the car off the road.
    Simple solution and I bet after a few weeks would change most peoples driving habits

sweepy
    Free Member

Taking Chip in the spirit of his original post I think he’s right. I’ll not be pulling in and out of the inside lane every few seconds to make it marginally easier for someone else to exceed the speed limit without impeding someone else exceeding the speed limit even more. People seem to be overstating what he said to undermine his point.

molgrips
    Free Member

So, should we pull into the left lane after passing every lorry? Even if it means pulling back out again after 10 seconds? Except it doesn’t, it means having to slow down and wait because the person who was behind you has now crept alongside you. This happens every single time.

So I propose that it is safer, more economics and better for traffic flow to remain in the middle lane doing 70 when there are more lorries coming up.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

As a trucker, restricted to 56mph I’ve been verbally reprimanded for both undertaking (using lane 1) and tailgating in lane 2 yet the numpty in lane 2 was allowed to bimble off at 50mph oblivious.

Use your commen sense. In heavy traffic it’s not worth pulling left, the car behind will automatically accelerate to fill the gap you’ve created and then sit there alongside effectively boxing you in. It’s a bit like candy crush.
    Once the traffic thins get left. I believe keeping left keeps you awake and aware of the traffic around you.

It’s not up to you or I to control others who wish to speed. Sitting in lane 2 at 70 claiming anyone wanting to go faster is a badman is petty and pedantic. I believe it’s instant ban for being above 100mph so leave it too the police. Speeding is the least of my concerns when I see people messing about on iPads, phones, paperwork, make-up and even masterbating.

If your car has cruise control use it, it’ll save you money. If your vehicle struggles to climb a hill get out the way. Tailgate a truck, it’ll pull you up. When a truck is overtaking you, don’t speed up.

I’m ranting, I know

jambourgie
    Free Member

Speeding is the least of my concerns when I see people messing about on iPads, phones, paperwork, make-up and even masterbating.

😯 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

and even masterbating

Let me guess;shitty old transit? 🙂

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Dirty ole tranny

stumpy01

Lane hoggers are among the worst driving morons out there.
    Not quite as bad as the slow middle lane hoggers who magically speed up as you overtake, then overtake you as soon as you pull back in and then slow down in front of you.

Funnily enough, the bank holiday does seem to bring out extra middle lane numpties and infrequent drivers who seem more concerned about the dog being sick, the kid’s portable DVD player or how to open the Haribo Starmix…

JulianA
    Free Member

Chip = asshat or troll.

Too many crappy morons inhabit the middle lane when the inside lane is empty. Get into the inside lane or get off the road. You are self-righteous, ignorant, dangerous mongtards.

simmy
    Free Member

Lane hoggers are among the worst driving morons out there.
    Not quite as bad as the slow middle lane hoggers who magically speed up as you overtake, then overtake you as soon as you pull back in and then slow down in front of you.

Or the ones who refuse to go in lane 3.

In the van, I sit at 55 – 60 mph, any faster and I use loads of fuel and its so noisy its unbearable.

So say there is a vehicle in front of Me whilst I’m in lane 1 and I’m catching up to it so I’m planning to move to lane 2 to pass. Lane 2 has a vehicle travelling at same speed as Me overtaking the vehicle I’m planning to overtake.

Dolly daydream comes flying up lane 2, slows behind the vehicle which is overtaking and sits at the side of Me so I can’t pull out instead of them maintaining speed and moving into lane 3.

Then, when the vehicle has completed its overtake, dolly daydream then floors it staying in Lane 2 until they catch upto another vehicle then they start all over again.

Just move to lane 3 and keep your speed…….

robdob
    Free Member

A lot of people undertake middle land idiots on the M621/M62 now. It’s safer than joining the queue of traffic nose to tail in the outside lane at 70-75mph.

I never go above 30mph in a 30mph zone now after doing my speed awareness course (which was excellent) and finding out that you are 3 times more likely to kill someone at 35mph than 30mph. It’s all to do with the physics when a body hits a car. It’s not nice driving to the law in that way – morons inches away from your back end getting insanely infuriated.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Middle Lane driving is normally a symptom of something else which is a complete lack of awareness of the rest of the world, then throw in a fear of changing lanes (which I’ve heard quite a few use as a reason).
    Add in the complete lack of enforcement on motorways and it’s not going to get better.
    My first proper commute was back in 99 on the m1 past Leicester, in 30 miles I reckon I saw at least 2 traffic cops (normally talking to people) each way. 10 years later I could drive from Glasgow to Manchester weekly at busy times and see none.
    For those that are there they can probably only deal with the top 1% of idiots so this stuff just gets ignored.

crankboy
    Free Member

Re the people who tailgate if you drive at the speedlimit just easing off on the accelerator a tad normally makes them drop back . It does not reduce their anger but they were probably suffering some issues anyway.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I usually aim to drive at 60-65 if I can. As such I use all lanes to my advantage to try to maintain that speed.
    I do love the middle lane hogged who catch me up, sit on my tail until I overtake. I then pull back into the first lane as I should. The middle lane hogger then speeds up to overtake me to then slow back down when the reach the inevitable lorry that will be taking 4 miles to do his overtake of another lorry that’s travelling 1/2 a MPH slower than he can.

Meanwhile I’ve cruised past the middle lane hogged at 65 in lane three only to repeat the process some distance later.

I wonder what goes on in their minds really, the middle lane hogged that is. Are they happy or frustrated or plain terrified of moving lanes?

Whatever they are, they are cocks who can’t drive correctly.

br
    Free Member

I wonder what does on in their minds really, the middle lane hogger that is

Nothing, absolutely nothing.

I reckon they’re on a level with my Spaniels

Q Why should you always buy Spaniels in pairs?
    A To guarantee at least one brain cell…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Lane hogging anyone?’ is closed to new replies.