Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Lands End to John O'Groats
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

I was down in Cornwall at the weekend and overtook a couple of cyclists with Lands End to John O'Groats printed on their shirts and I thought "you must be bloody mental". Has anyone here done it? Do you have to be slightly unhinged or is it not as bad as I am imagining?

Waderider
    Free Member

Several of my pals have done it so I'll imagine you'll get a few on here. Personally the idea doesn't appeal to me. Off road c2c – a different matter. But doing that when you could spend the time cycle touring on the West Coast of Scotland – why bother?!*

*No answer required thanks, I've got a different opinion.

timpol
    Free Member

Yea did it a while ago, going through scotland was by far the best bit. Can obviously make it as hard or easy as you like. We did it with some inexperienced guys in 9 days

sockpuppet

rode it in 2004, unsupported, over 13 days. very enjoyable, the trip's best riding is in scotland.

having another crack this year over nine days – looking forward to it. touring is a really nice experience.

trb
    Free Member

I was down in Cornwall at the weekend and overtook a couple of cyclists with Lands End to John O'Groats printed on their shirts and I thought "you must be bloody mental".

They are – I see them quite often going up & down the A30 when just a mile or so to either side there are some fantastic country lanes to enjoy, and they are there slogging along dodging caravans in the diesel fumes – mental.

Dinger
    Free Member

I am doing it next June – looking to do it in 9 to 10 days

sandwicheater

On a tandem. Had a giggle and not that hard. Really opened my eye to how nice the majority of people in Britain are. We rode for MacMillan unsupported and were stopped daily by well wishers, people wanting to bye us lunch and give to the charity. Scotland by a thin margin for scenery.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Rob Lee will shortly be doing it OFF-ROAD! Fair play.

sockpuppet

They are – I see them quite often going up & down the A30 when just a mile or so to either side there are some fantastic country lanes to enjoy, and they are there slogging along dodging caravans in the diesel fumes – mental.

any local knowledge gratefully used to improve the route.

my experience of cornish lanes is that they can be anywhere from excellent to awful, and it's difficult to tell from the map which are the ones that will slow you down.

beaker

My brother at this moment is between Liverpool and Kendal doing LE to JOG. He set out last monday and is pushing hard. Not bad for someone who got his first road bike in the spring! He's doing it for charity- Help for Heroes.

If you can spare a few quid please sponsor him at http://www.justgiving.com/The-Full-Length

Sorry blatant plug I know but for someone that doesn't do much cycling he's doing really well

DavidB
    Free Member

"Rob Lee will shortly be doing it OFF-ROAD! Fair play."

Been done already hasn't it?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Is there a recognised route to give a standard distance or do people just go which way they feel is best for them?

timpol
    Free Member

there are a couple of standard routes, they link hostels together which imo if the best way to do it.

105champ
    Free Member

done it both ways le-jog, jog-le. really not too tough, better doing it le-jog, as wind is more often southerly.

scholarsgate
    Free Member
    jamesb
    Free Member

One of the best cycle holidays I have ever done.1050 miles, away from main roads, 15 days supported organised camping. Do not rely on southerlies! Last section, across from Lairg to Bettyhill, tehn along north coast Scotland big battle against strong NE winds, rain but still fabulous. Make a trip to Dunnet Head, most NORTHERLY point UK mainland and look south from it, and think of all miles covered to get there. Hope you manage to egt to do it, and enjoy

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

I'm doing it next May, aiming for 9 days – Me on the bike and the Mrs driving the Motorhome!!

Have a look at this NUTTER!!!

Ben MADMAN Rockett

MrSparkle

Ooh, that makes my ass feel sore just thinking about it. Good luck with that.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I did a few years back now. On road. Got the good pub guide and picked a pub every 35 miles for lunch & dinner, then distilleries in Scotland.

Tried to stay off mainroads as much as poss.

Loved it & plan to have a go again wehn time / family commitments allow

freeform5spot
    Free Member

on the to do list thats for sure!

brack
    Free Member

Did it in 2006 2 days after landing back in the UK following a year of travelling. Picked up my 96 kona Killy from a mates house and packed enough stuff to fill a 20 litre rucksack. A train ticket to Scotland and off I set.

No training, no route, nothing planned whatsoever.

Pissed a lot of Joglers off who had been training, planning and arranging support vehicles etc

My advice to anyone is quite simple…. Keep your preparations simple….fully challenge yourself! You will learn a lot and have a blast!

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Did it the other way, from J o'G to Lands End. Took 9 days. Really good fun and as others say, the best riding is in Scotland.

First couple of days were hard but after that, not too bad as I recall

cbike
    Free Member

There are two blokes doing it just now on a conference bike for cancer research. You can join in if you want.

http://www.cobiuk.com
    http://www.cosybike.co.uk

fubar
    Free Member

I am doing it next June – looking to do it in 9 to 10 days

I'm also pencilled in for June (June 12th JOG to 25th LE) – wave as you pass.

Edric64
    Free Member

does anyone make the detour to The Lizard which is the most Southerly point of the mainland?

fubar
    Free Member

does anyone make the detour to The Lizard which is the most Southerly point of the mainland?

Yes – think it's call End-to-End then…We plan on doing JOGLE and End-To-End just to cover both bases. It doesn't add much at the top and about 40 or 50 miles to the bottom.

Edric64
    Free Member

If you do there is a nice hostel in Lizard and a pub called the Witchball inn that does great seafood especially the bass

speaker2animals

My mates did rode round the coast of Britain (mainland) last year. Took him 2.5 months and he'd planned on 3. He camped mainly though I think he did stay in a couple of hostels a couple of friends houses on the route and one strangers house who offered him a bed when he had asked for the nearest campsite (there wasn't one). He reckoned the hardest part was Devon, the continual ups and downs.

He was 74 at the time and he did about 4500 miles.

He's only riding the coast of N&S Ireland this year, pussy. About 1800 miles.

Bloody pensioners!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Lands End to John O'Groats’ is closed to new replies.