Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Land's End to John O Groats by MTB
  • Mounty_73

I have always said that I wanted to cycle Land's End to John O'Groats before I was 40, next month is another year closer…I want to do it for the Alzheimer's Society…

Who has done it? Or better still who else wants to do it?

Can anyone recommend a good guide book or a web site…I need some inspiration…

MrNutt
    Free Member

which route are you thinking of taking? will it be all road?

Nick
    Mounty_73

I have just literally sat down in front of the PC, with no idea, no route, a good standard of fitness and not done anything close…

So its all WIDE open… 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

damn that looks like fun, when where you thinking of doing it?

Mounty_73

No specific dates yet…but September is in my mind….BUT I really want to do this either this year or next year….. and ideally with someone else as I think company on a trip like this would be a huge bonus/advantage…

Like I say its all very open and just a thought in my head at the moment…would this be something you would be interested in MrNutt ?

I am not time wasting on this and I mean this in the way that if anyone else was genuinely interested in doing such a trip, then count me in!

tthew

That would be ace!

MrNutt
    Free Member

by coincidence I just stumbled upon this: http://end-to-end.blog.co.uk/ (whilst looking at property/employment in west cornwall)

I could do with something to train for actually so, yep, could be actually be interested!

Mounty_73

The more I read, the more I want to do it…some of it just sounds too good to miss…

Dont get me wrong I am sure it wil be a real tough one as I have never done anything close to this, the prep & training would be an experience for me…I just really want to do it…

I will read up on some more…

druidh
    Free Member

Why do it "by MTB" when a large portion of the route will be on the road anyway?

trail_rat
    Free Member

was an article in a ctc mag last year about just this …

http://trail-rat-racing.blogspot.com/2009/08/ctc-end-to-end-article.html

there you go – if you click on the photos you can read the article !

anotherstan
    Free Member

mounty, where are you based?

cozz
    Free Member

dude

I'd like to do lejog next year and If i did i'd do it for Alzheimer's Society

but that blog is some time at 23 days duration, I think id do more road miles myself

Im doing coast to coast later this year as a kinda dry run

Daffy

I love STW, it's the only place where stuff like this can be considered "normal"

Fab. 😀

bassspine
    Free Member

did you know they are opening a ferry route from north Devon to south Wales this easter? it would be a bit of a cheat, but it would also open up a load of off-road route options.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would try to think of something slightly more offroad and less dull / common if possible. Most Northerly, easterly, southerly and westerly bits of the mainland?

AgentOrange
    Free Member

Did it in May last year, on my S-Works HT, with 1"slicks. 9 Days unsupported, stopping at b&b's en-route.

You'll have a ball 😀

Trick is to leave early every day – 8am at the latest and eat up the miles at a half decent pace, this then leaves you time for a decent pub lunch stop and to prepare for the next day.

Have a look at the CTC website forum for routes, training and advice from many of the 'old boys' who know all there is to know…..

Good Luck !

MrNutt
    Free Member

Mounty thats cool, I'm thinking if AgentOrange did it in 9 days it could be worth planning for 15 days just incase there's any problems or bits that could be a laugh to ride twice? 😀

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I like your thinking MrNutt, take your time and enjoy the best bits.
    From what I understand there's not a lot to see at John O'Groats anyway 😀

MrNutt
    Free Member

the absence of a doctor who theme park will be worth looking forward to 😀

Expat
    Free Member

Just tell them you did it – 5 secs later and they will all have forgotten about it anyway.

soops
    Free Member

I did it in 1990 on the road when i was 17. A group of 5 of us did it for the NSPCC in 7 days. Raised about £12000. The 2 days of strong headwinds and driving rain in Scotland always stick in my mind!
    Go for it!!!

Mounty_73

druidh

Why not MTB ? A couple of reasons, I no longer have a road bike and I dont see the point in buying one for this trip. Plus you can take a MTB off road/road, but you cant with a road bike…plus I am more interested in doing it and not so much how. 🙂

anotherstan

I am based in Bewdley, Worcestershire, not the best place to start as I am in the middle 😉 Are you thinking of having a go? 😉

Mr Nutt

I too was thinking at least 15 days as I want to enjoy it and take it all in, so not worried so much about the time/destination….more the journey…

AgentOrange

Going to look at a couple of site today, someone else suggested the CTC site, cheers.

Riofer
    Free Member

I've been thinking about this for a while as well, might be difficeult for me to get 15 days freed up but I'm happy to help plan and see what I can do about work and family commitments.

ikimbunza
    Free Member

Couldn't do the whole thing but would be up for joining you for a few miles to offer moral support as you pass through the north-west.

In the spirit of STW, i'd imagine it would be a good morale booster if STW members joined you for a quick spin as you made your merry way north…

anotherstan
    Free Member

mounty, yes, i've fancied giving it a go for a while also. reason for asking your location was for training purposes. i'm in leeds, so looks like training would be a solo affair. i don't own a road bike either (and don't really want to!)
    having said all that, as with riofer, i would also struggle to get 15 days freed up, so am looking more at 7ish. (if the old knees would hold out 😉 )

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I did it, long time ago now, but I did keep my route & put it up here:- Le Jog

Loved it & want to do it again.

We got the good pub guide & found a pub every 35ish miles to provide lunch & dinner, then picked the most scenic route we could.

Do it, enjoy it 🙂

Mounty_73

As mentioned above, how about the C2C to start with, anyone interested?

ski
    Free Member

Mounty, a book for you to read, if you have not already 😉

Another Bewdley Rider:

http://www.cycleuktochina.com/

Mounty_73

Mounty, a book for you to read, if you have not already

A little out of my league…. 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

mrsmw did it on road a couple of years ago. 80 miles/day for 15 days unsupported. It is easier (less hills) and more simple to route (less urban areas) if you go East of the Pennines and up the East Coast

instanthit
    Free Member

Did jogle in 08 in a week on road bike for Alzheimers. Used youth hostels mainly. Best road trip ever. Just do it with mates you can shout at and still stay friends at the end of the day. We had a blog probably still around if you google jogle for alzheimers.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

if off road i can show you/lead you accross the penwith moors, you'll struggle to find the route otherwise and sad to report that large chunks of this great ancient route are pretty much unrideable at present.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

mr nutt…

(whilst looking at property/employment in west cornwall)

free to email me if you want any info from a local, esp regarding property.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Land's End to John O Groats by MTB’ is closed to new replies.