Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • lands end john o'groats off road??
  • mikeclarke
    Free Member

Right had a look on net and cant find jack, has anyone any idea of the off road route used for this and anyone got gps files for it?? Having heard about it i now want to challenge myself. cheers

kayak23

Yeah. I’ve just been following the blog of a bloke on Facebook who did exactly that. Seems it took him just under a month I think…
    Stephens off road lejog on Facebook

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I once met two ladies on horseback who were riding JoGlE via canal towpaths and bridleways, they reckoned it would take about six weeks.
    Sounds like a cool way to spend a couple of months 🙂

bedmaker

Right at the start of that facebook blog there is a photo of the route but you can’t zoom in. Looks great.

druidh
    Free Member

That’s the one that Stephen (of the Facebook link above) used. I’ve not had a detailed look at all of it, but I could have thought of a more “off-road” route for some of the areas I know.

johnoliversbattery
    Free Member

I have a mate who did it alone last year in three weeks all offroad with a bob trailer – I will see if he can identify the route, I know he got it off someone else. I will get back to you.

mikeclarke
    Free Member

had a look at the route on fb link, Druidh – can u expand on ur areas of knowledge for more off road as like u i think it could be made more off road in places but not knowing the trails its hard to say if sections would be ridable? johnoliversbattery – that would be great if u could find anything….cheers guys

downshep

Perhaps the difficulty in compiling a true off road LeJog is local knowledge of the little nicky nacky hidden paths linking the recognised long distance routes. Most of us could ride through our local area off road but not many will have the level of detailed knowledge along the length of the country to plan a genuine off road route.

Would be a great idea for a website. Local riders the length of the country submitting links between LDPs and the NCN, working together to compile an off road route.

Anyone from Cornwall…..?

druidh
    Free Member

downshep – I was thinking that too – a sort of Wiki. Thing is, we’d need an arbiter to determine which “local patches” to join up 🙂

mikeclarke – As it happens, there will soon be a Scottish E2E trail published and signposted. It’s designed for walkers, but Scottish access laws mean that it would be usable by cyclists too.

shaggy

The CTC publish a 1200 mile off-road end to end route called the X1 or XUK1. I can’t find it on their website but might be worth giving them a call.

druidh
    Free Member

A ride of 1,201 miles, ascending over 130,000 feet and enjoying along the way the delights of: The Camel Trail, Bodmin Moor, The Tarka Trail, Exmoor, Dunkery Beacon, The Quantocks, Cheddar Gorge, The Mendips, Avon Gorge, The Black Mountains, Radnor Forest, Wenlock Edge, Ironbridge, The Way for the Millennium, Tissington Trail, Cut Gate, The Pennine Bridleway, Leeds-Liverpool Canal, Cam High Road, Lady Anne Clifford’s Highway, The Maiden Way, Craik Forest, Black Law, The Trossachs, The West Highland Way, The Great Glen, Gleann Mor and the wilds of Northern Scotland…

http://www.ctc-maps.org.uk/routes/route/1372

pingu66
    Free Member

Brilliant idea, anyone wanna volunteer to do this next year for Help for Heroes with me, need to plan and get support.

Look at May between the two bank holidays, need to start plotting the maps into Garmin etc.

nick3216
    Free Member

Estimated Cycling Time unknown, but at least 60 hours, 49 minutes

Estimated Cycling Time… 60 hours 49 minutes

Estimated Cycling Time … 60 hours 49 minutes

Estimatedminutes

Can someone explain the concept of an estimate to the CTC?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Don’t get it?

edlong
    Free Member

fourbanger

I think the point is that 60 hours would be a sensible estimate, or conceivably 61 hours might be, but 60 hours and 49 minutes is a ridiculous “estimate” as it’s so precise (i.e. to within 60 seconds)

nick3216
    Free Member

An estimate accurate to one part in 3500 or, 0.03%, is not an estimate.

Both my figures are approximated (^_-)

bedmaker
    ian martin
    Free Member

I’m in. I just need to convince the missus.

nick3216
    Free Member

bedmaker – Member
    Get the packraft out!

LOL

pingu66
    Free Member

That link is broke.

Anyone up for it next year, even thought of throwing a big twist in and doing the 3 Peaks along the way. Now that would be an epic, might take longer to plan as in 2014 but hey why the hell not, and I dont think its been done before.

Pretty sure we could get corporate sponsors for something like that, and it would get me fit!

mikeclarke
    Free Member

JohnsOB – thanks ive tried the link nothing im interested in the routes ur friend has could u email my on mjc_226@yahoo.co.uk cheers mike

mikeclarke
    Free Member

pingu66 – i could be very interested, as im planning to do the trip either sept or april next yr… as for corporate spons, my x gf works for berghaus so im gonna be intouch with her closer to the date, mike

pingu66
    Free Member

Mike thats cool not even sure what bikes would be best at this point? A CX maybe but I just think it would be a great adventure especially if you throw in the 3 peaks which will add a few days.

I was looking at doint it between the May Bank Holidays.

pingu66
    Free Member

If I could get the routes also pete.nugent66@gmail.com

johnoliversbattery
    Free Member

pingu66 Pete and mikeclake I have sent you a direct contact with Stewart, who did the LEJOG mtb trip – John

Macavity
    Free Member
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘lands end john o'groats off road??’ is closed to new replies.