Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Lakes virgins, travelling by rail.. with a tiny baby advice sought
  • zbonty

Me and the Mrs plus a nearly three month old are trekking up to Oxenholme, then onwards from the South on the 23/7 for a long weekend for some fresh air and a mooch about. Probably staying in Windermere the first night then open to options (that arent too pricey)
    Sadly no bikes in tow on this one 🙁

Does the STW faithfull have any top tips for a good location/ possible accomodation? The main (limiting?) factors will be no car and a small baby.

Sorry if its a bit vague but you know as much as me at this stage!

Junkyard
    Free Member

if on train you are fairly limited

Personally I would pick ambleside for stuff to do during the day or Staveley for not quite in the lakes but only walking and Wilfs as options

totalshell

train only goes so sfar as windermere.. so i d jump in a taxi/bus and get to ambleside or grasmere plenty for all in ambleside take a boat ride up and down lake as well.. accomadtion may be the thing.. its not cheap and most will want you to pay for three nights at the weekend.

boxelder

If you can find something that suits then Rydal Hall is ace – big gardens/grounds, cafe, walks to Grasmere and Ambleside. They do glamping/pods type stuff. Looks like they have Herdyhuts available, but don’t know how much they cost.
    Don’t worry about the Christian centre bit – totally non ‘inyerface’

zbonty

Thanks all. We paniced and booked a couple of nights near Windermere and will head out from there with taxis i guess. Should be fun, if a little challenging!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Errr, get the bus?

There’s even Moutain goat busses that take you to the further flungoutposts. And if you’re hoping to get a train transfer from oxenholme to windermere you’ve cocked up. You’d need to get the connection at Lancaster or get the bus/cab from oxenholme to kendal station (about 2/3 miles)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Lakes virgins, travelling by rail.. with a tiny baby advice sought’ is closed to new replies.