Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lakes- trail help. What is this called?
  • hora
    Free Member

Rode with a mate (local Cumbrian lad) today. He doesnt know the name of the route- just always ridden it. We pulled into a carpark across from a tall- thin white pub alongside a huge lake. Climbed/pushed up for about 45mins and could clearly see Helvellyn and the descent arching back into the carparking area across the valley. Descended down the other side and looped round following really rocky singletrack stepdowns/drop offs (classed as a Bridleway) along the length of the Lake back again- that was the stunning part. Any idea what that range was called? Patterdale?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Sounds like High Street to me 🙂

The push will have been Hartsop/The Knott – was there a lake half way up? At the top, you’ll have had a great view of Haweswater from the Straits of Riggindale

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yep and that single track that runs back along Ullswater rates as the best in the country.

neilb67
    Free Member

Is this the start of the singletrack along Ullswater

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

Sounds like the Boredale Hause climb to me (45 mins),into either Bannerdale or Boredale, returning anticlockwise via the Lakeshore?

Might be wrong though?

hora
    Free Member

neilb67 it was closer along the lake gradually losing height yet undulating and very very rocky- no smooth parts at any point- alot of step downs etc! Hardwork on the Chameleon to avoid pinchflatting the rear but very rewarding!

neilb67
    Free Member

Yes if its the one in my photo then that track leads down to the shoreline and runs along the shore, its very rocky and halfway down there is a nice viewing area looking over Ullswater

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Sounds like the Boredale Hause climb

oh yes, it might have been – in which case you’d probably have spotted another parallel track just below, the footpath – and going that way you’d have missed the bit in the photo above.

The climb:

neilb67
    Free Member

Any of this look familiar…

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

I supose its part of it,The best bit and more technical starts from Sandwick and follows the edge of the lake,it does split in a couple of places onto a slightly higher track.

I have seen some pretty handy riding on it over the years,seeing Max Cousins ride UP some of the rock steps was impressive a while back. 😯

hora
    Free Member

fullbouncebill bingo! The climb on this walkers site looks VERY familiar!
    http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/w0026.htm
    and most of this route:
    http://www.industrialfellbiking.co.uk/2007/04/ullswater_outing.html
    STUNNING.

It was impossible to ride up the steps on the trail as there were too many walkers – friendly but it wasnt safe as the step-up’s tended to have a sudden hidden kink so you’d ride your front wheel straight into someone.

neilb67
    Free Member

Thats the same one as I did Hora.. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Knackered. Funnily my mind could re-ride that ride allover again now however my body needs a wee rest 😀
    neilb67 nice pics- funnily, no photo known to man can do the trails the justice they deserve can they?!!!

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

Yep its a classic route,best done in the summer evenings to avoid the walkers,Theres always something to challenge everyones level of riding ability on it, and that makes it so different to the usual trails in the Lakes. 😉

The grassy decent down Beda fell is probably underated as well,and is preferable to the more popular rocky gully into Boardale (last years Merida decent) 🙂

hora
    Free Member

The first part- off the Hause(?) over the other side on the grassy descent- I didnt like at all (everyones different I guess) but I hate deep ruts in grass- scares me that I’m going to get high-sided etc. My mate left me for utter dead on that part whilst I minced down it 🙁

neilb67
    Free Member

No Hora, no photo does it justice. That was my first trip to the Lakes and cant wait to get back a lot more this summer

hora
    Free Member

neilb67…..a STW ride organised nearer the Summer? 🙂

Edit, actually- I’d like to camp there (walking distance to the pub) and ride that the first day then Helvellyn on the next??

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lakes- trail help. What is this called?’ is closed to new replies.