Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lakes route for one night bikepacking trip?
  • samtmg
    Free Member

Any help would be much appreciated.

I’m planning on doing my first overnight bike packing trip at the end of the month.
    I’m new to bikepacking but familiar to lakes riding.
    After a bit more experience with venturing out with just me and the stead, I would like to conquer the pennine way and then further a field. Any tips and advice would be awesome too!

Thanks for any help

Keep riding

boxelder

What are you packing- tent, bivi? How far/remote do you want? Any area in particular?

samtmg
    Free Member

I’ll be packing a bivi. As remote as possible. I’m thinking about max 30mile a day. Preferably North East lakes but not totally fussed.
    Thanks for replying so swiftly

tomaso
    Free Member

Go north and west to avoid beardy bivi types around Kentmere

boxelder

There’s great wilder riding east of Ullswater and round the back of Skiddaw and Blencathra. Have a look at the maps and mail me for info once you have an idea of where you’ll ride. You could go from Patterdale, east and over Boredale Hause, Howtown and along the lake shore to Pooley Bridge. Up the road and across the old Coach Rd to Threlkeld. Up towards Skiddaw House and head north then west around the back of Skiddaw on mine tracks. From Bassenthwaite village area head up to Skiddaw House again and continue down over Latrigg to Keswick. Finish over Stick Pass.
    Mail for further/other ideas/info

Chew
    Free Member

The biggest piece of advice for your first trip would be to keep it local or somewhere you’ve already ridden.

From your first trip you’ll learn loads (and probably make a few mistakes).
    If your first trip is close to home its not too far back for a warm bath and a big mug of tea.

postierich
    Free Member

What tomaso says!

Basil

First time out tends to be when you find your setup has let the wheel wear through your sleeping bag

samtmg
    Free Member

Thank you all for the help.
    Boxelder I will have a ganders at the map and definitely post you my plans, then any more advise would be cracking.
    Just, today, got back from 3 lakes challenge (kayak- Coniston, Windermere, Ullswater). Awesome time and great fun but all I kept thinking, while admiring the breathtaking views, was I wish I was on me bike shredding down those ribbons of singletrack i could see 😉

boxelder

My Bro-in-law did that 3 lakes thing last week! Another fella on it was laughing at his bike (Tiagra equipped Giant), so after he rode all the way up the struggle to Kirkstone he waited for Mr carbon posh bike to finish walking and pushing the steep bit and offered a bike swap. 😀

samtmg
    Free Member

Haha. That’s hilarious. Just goes to show, it doesn’t matter what the ride it all depends on the engine

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lakes route for one night bikepacking trip?’ is closed to new replies.