Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Burnley and Pendle locals – an election question.
  • RustySpanner

Several colleagues, neighbours and friends are planning on voting for Gordon Birtwhistle, even though they’ve previously been Labour voters.

As a recent incomer, I’m aware of the positive regeneration in the area but not sure how much involvement GB has had.
    No experience of the previous Labour MP either.

I’m voting Labour – it’s a key marginal, I like the Labour candidate and I don’t like Birtwhistle’s anti gay marriage stance.
    Not local myself so would appreciate any opinions.

Ta.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well done, glad your voting. Good luck and keep it up.

RustySpanner

Your point?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Vote for who you want to, other people can make their own mind up. You sound like you are disappointed in the fact that people are not voting Labour. You’re asking for opinions but for no reason as you have made your mind up so whats the point of the post?

RustySpanner

I am doing.
    I always have done.

I’d like to be able to discuss the matter in greater depth with the bourgouise, running dog traitors involved.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

with the bourgouise, running dog traitors involved.

How very civil of me reminds me of all the best bits of democracy.

mefty
    Free Member

bourgeoisie

MSP

Gordon Birtwhistle, sounds like the kind of man who wears tweed, has a round red face and a ginger moustache and says harrumph when other people are talking, I definitely wouldn’t vote for him.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Gordon Birtwhistle- liked him on the Krypton Factor but he is a Lib Dem so for that reason I am out

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

traitors? Wha?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Gordon Birtwhistle

What a wonderful name.

I guess voting LibDem is the lucky dip of British politics – you never really know what you’re voting for. Will they be backing a Tory Prime Minister or a Labour Prime Minister? Will they be doing what they have pledged to do or will they do the complete opposite? The suspense for LibDem voters must be palpable.

I’d like to be able to discuss the matter in greater depth with the bourgouise, running dog traitors involved.

If you’re bothered with bourgeois running dog traitors why are you voting Labour? Discuss in greater depth why you won’t be voting Green.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Rusty discussing politics with his colleagues and friends earlier

RustySpanner

Conditioning and cowardice mainly.
    🙂

I’ve voted Green in bolted on Labour seats, but this is a Lib Dem/Labour marginal.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So again what are you trying to work out? How to achieve an SNP government?

RustySpanner

You see that gap in the crowd?
    Front centre?

In the original, you can see the back of Ernie’s head.
    Rapha cap too.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Gordon Birtwhistle, sounds like the kind of man who wears tweed, has a round red face and a ginger moustache and says harrumph when other people are talking, I definitely wouldn’t vote for him.

No I would vote for the man with a tweed jacket and grey beard.

And all the more so after reading this : Ex-singer out to follow ‘love interest’ Margaret Thatcher into the Commons

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think he is working out how to avoid a tory govt

mikewsmith
    Free Member

anyway I always thought Burnley tended towards the BNP when I passed through, thought they would just treat the green candidate as long pig.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

In the original, you can see the back of Ernie’s head.

I love that picture but I know it more like this :

I now understand why the crowd is often not included – a lot of people don’t appear to be paying much attention.

Northwind

ernie_lynch – Member

I guess voting LibDem is the lucky dip of British politics – you never really know what you’re voting for. Will they be backing a Tory Prime Minister or a Labour Prime Minister? Will they be doing what they have pledged to do or will they do the complete opposite? The suspense for LibDem voters must be palpable.

QFT.

Riksbar

Voted birtwistle last time after getting a leaflet the day before the election which I had thought was BNP but turned out to be labour. Will be going labour this time as the candidate seems not to be the careerist carpetbagger we had as a candidate last time, And also to avoid a conservative government (see above).

FWIW I think Gordon Birtwistles work had as much to do with preserving NHS services in Burnley as George Osbourne’s had with engineering the “recovery”.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Check out http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24793/gordon_birtwistle/burnley/votes

According to that Gordon Birtwistle:

Voted strongly against equal gay rights
    Voted moderately against allowing marriage between two people of same sex
    Voted a mixture of for and against laws to promote equality and human rights
    Voted moderately for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the “bedroom tax”)
    Voted very strongly against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices
    Voted strongly against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability
    Voted strongly for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits
    Voted moderately against spending public money to create guaranteed jobs for young people who have spent a long time unemployed
    Voted moderately for higher taxes on alcoholic drinks
    Voted moderately against a banker’s bonus tax
    Voted very strongly for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year
    Voted very strongly for ending financial support for some 16-19 year olds in training and further education
    Voted very strongly for university tuition fees
    Voted moderately for requiring the mass retention of information about communications
    Voted strongly against slowing the rise in rail fares
    Voted very strongly for selling England’s state owned forests
    Voted moderately against restrictions on fees charged to tenants by letting agents

I had to double check what party he was standing for…!

oldboy
    Free Member

Libdem vote totally wasted in Burnley. You might as well have
    given it to the Muslim candidate (whoever he is), who no doubt spent the last couple of months collecting sack-fulls of blank postal ballot papers!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I had to double check what party he was standing for..

Its hard to find something either liberal or democratic on that list

Kinda of proves ernie point about the lucky dip of politics

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Burnley and Pendle locals – an election question.’ is closed to new replies.