Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lake District Help please
  • justa
    Free Member

Hello

Staying at Grange over Sands in one of these cheapo caravan holidays soon – with the intention of driving up into the lakes.

Just thought I’d check if there are any places around Grange over Sands that are worth a visit or is it as bad as I fear ?! Never been around the coast there – is it best ignored and heading for the lakes instead ?

oh and is there anywhere nice to eat nearby or in GOS ?

thanks very much

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

there’s interesting riding round Newby Bridge and Canny Hill

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If your staying in Grange, I’d recommend taking a bmx and riding the “street” obstacles along the prom, along with the skate park. Its amazin

justa
    Free Member

oops forgot to add not taking a bike !!

walking with Mrs…

Esme
    Free Member

You’re quite close to the Miniature Village
    It’s not a big commercial enterprise, just a labour of love in a private garden

Cougar

You’re not far from my old dropzone if you fancy a spot of skydiving…

Esme
    Free Member

And the Hospice on Hampsfell is worth a walk. I love all the poems inside

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

second the hospice and hampstead fell for walking. easily done straight out of the town. Cracking view on a clear day.

snakebite
    Free Member

Just done that this weekend, we had a carvery in ‘The Engine’ up the road, was OK. Went up to Grizedale 12 miles or so for my fix….

Trekster

Grange over Sands that are worth a visit or is it as bad as I fear ?! Never been around the coast there – is it best ignored and heading for the lakes instead ?

You are in the Lakes 💡

What type of things are you interested in and would want to visit?

You will pass by the miniture railway and there are boat trip on the Lake from Newby Bridge.
    Not far from Grizdale for biking, walking and visitor centre with good cafe(not been to new one yet)
    A visit to Staveley for lunch @ Wilfs cafe and a browse through Wheelbase for biking interests.Loads of walking and dinner at the pub in Ings across the road 😆

justa
    Free Member

Thanks for replies folks – love that minature village !

jwt
    Free Member

You’re probably about 5 miles from my house, I’m doing a local ride on sunday along the lines of SFB’s link if you have any time………….
    someplace to eat, Rogans and L’enclume in Cartmel, Lymehurst in Grange, Log house in Ambelside, The Jumble Room in Grasmere.
    Many more are available………

m-a-t-t
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack, but could anyone recommend any iter good restaurants in the South/Central Lakes area? Up there next weekend for our first anniversary. The Jumble Room looks interesting!

Pieface

Cartmell is a lovely little village.

The best thing about that part of the lakes is its really quiet. The fells around Grange / Cartmel are nice.

tommytowtruck

The wild animal park near Dalton is worth a visit (about half an hour form Grange), as is the Black Dog just down the road from it for good beer and food.

Ulverston for a walk up to the Hoad or just a general wander around, Dock Museum in Barrow, nice beach at Roan head with ace views back over the lake district, or a walk up Black Combe. Oh, Furness Abbey is worth a look too.

As above, Hampsfell is worth a walk up if it’s decent weather. Not much to do in Grange really, Cartmel is nice and worth a wander round although it’s a shadow of it’s former self, now mainly populated by offcomers! The church is well worth a look though. Apparently L’Enclume and Rogans other food place are very good.

Shame you wont have your bike!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lake District Help please’ is closed to new replies.