Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • KS LEV in 27.2mm Diameter – Are they actually available anywhere?
  • chives
    Free Member

Thanks Nicholas – think I’ll drop the LEV off my list then.

warpcow
    Free Member

nicholas_yiu – Member
    Well, I have been using my 27.2 KS Lev and the inner cable has snapped (This is a common problem with Lev I believe)

I tried replacing the inner cable but it does not seem to come apart the same way as the bigger diameter version. I ended up unthreading the “air rod” from the piston by mistake. It has now lost all pressure and still doesn’t come apart for cable replacement.

I have contacted KS to get it repaired (probably at my own cost) and ordered a new Hilo (shouldn’t have sold it in the first place!)

The KS will be up for sale when it comes back from repair. (probably for quite a low price) That inner cable is a design weak point for the post. It’s not so much of a problem for the bigger diameter ones as it’s easily replaceable. However, seeing that you probably have to send it back every time the inner cable snap on the 27.2, I think the simpler Hilo is a better option.

You mean the cable cable??? You couldn’t change the cable?

IA

You mean the cable cable??? You couldn’t change the cable?

I’d assume he means the thin cable that’s internal to the post – it’s how the manage the static cable routing.

warpcow
    Free Member

Aah, sorry. That makes more sense.

nicholas_yiu

Yup, it’s the cable internal to the seatpost that’s snapped. It’s a unique Kevlar cable that needs to be ordered from KS if broken.

I think the main design problem there is because it is clamped by a grub screw. I don’t think clamping a Kevlar cable is a great idea as it’s probably sheared quite a bit just by clamping. I think it will be much stronger if it’s threaded through a hole and simply tie a knot at the end.

singlespeedstu

There’s a small cap between the grubscrew and the cable to protect it from any damage…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Finally got around to fitting mine last night. Return speed is very slow. The construction seems to be the same as my 31.6 just the air valve is missing. Bit disappointed really compared to the larger version.

Not ridden it in anger yet and before anyone suggests to seat clamp is too tight, I’ve also proved it with the seat clamp loose.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Right then. I’ve managed to get it returning a good bit quicker.

The Kevlar cord was slightly too long. By the time the hook had pulled to the bottom of the chamber under the red cap, the plunger under the cap on the bottom of the post still hadn’t been fully depressed.

All I’ve done is shortened the effective length of the cord my about 3mm and it’s much happier now. Not lightening fast, but now appears “normal” rather than slow.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘KS LEV in 27.2mm Diameter – Are they actually available anywhere?’ is closed to new replies.