• This topic has 28 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by aP.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Knog-style sillicone bike lights
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend me some silicone low-profile “quick-release” lights?

What’s brightest?
    Can you get a front one that is actually good for seeing where you’re going
    What’s best value for money? Knogs, or £5 ebay jobs?

JoB
    Free Member

ir_bandito – Member
    Can anyone recommend me some silicone low-profile “quick-release” lights?

no

buy a proper light that you can see with and be seen by and doesn’t pack up at the first hint of damp

Kahurangi

The knog boomers I have are bright and use AAA’s but weren’t waterproof enough for MTBing without mudguards, which is why they haven’t been out this winter.

The cheap DX knog frog ripoffs were temperamental and rubbish. The proper Knog frogs (for the shop) are much brighter, have different flashing modes and live on the road bike.

Though if it’s going to be actually dark I’ll take torch off my commuter and clip it on the bars and the 1/2 W smart and clip it on the saddle bag.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of Topeak Whitelite II’s on the front of my commuter. Easy to remove and pocket size. They seem weather proof – no combination of rain, snow or sub-zero temperatures has killed them yet.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

buy a proper light that you can see with and be seen by and doesn’t pack up at the first hint of damp

I’ve got some of them. But they’re relativly big, and a faff to take on and off when the bike is locked up outside in public.

All I’m after is something i can whip on and off any bike for darting around town in the dark. Not planning on doing anything extreme. Although a new rear light may find its way into more regular use.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

The proper Knog frogs

got a pair of them, but they’re on my lad’s Scoot and he won’t let me borrow them!

JoB
    Free Member

ir_bandito – Member
    All I’m after is something i can whip on and off any bike for darting around town in the dark. Not planning on doing anything extreme. Although a new rear light may find its way into more regular use.

Exposure Flash and Flare

i’ve lost count of the times i’ve been out with people who have hipster cysts on their bikes and politely told them how invisible their lights are, achingly cool but invisible

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Flash and FLare look good, thanks.

brassneck

i’ve lost count of the times i’ve been out with people who have hipster cysts on their bikes and politely told them how invisible their lights are, achingly cool but invisible

To avoid hipster accusations, you can get them in Wilkinsons for around a fiver.

The Giant ones are good too, my kids have them on their bike, about the only things that fit the dinky tubes. Costs a fortune in CR2032s though.

argyle
    Free Member

niterider ones are good and bright too

pixelmix
    Free Member

As above, I have the Niterider ones front and rear to supplment my other lights.

The rear one is the Stinger and my front is one of the single LED jobs. Handy for days when I’m taking the CX or MTB to work instead of the usual commuting bike, as they can quickly be swapped over. No issues with either thus far.

As above, the small lights are really an addition to other lights – I use my front Niterider on flashing while I have a helmet light or a bigger bar light set to “on”.

The Stinger would be bright enough on its own, but I run another light on my rucksack anyway.

smudge
    Free Member

Ir_Bandito,

I have some front ones coming into stock in a few weeks time like the rear ones I currently sell that are similar to what you are looking for.

If you would like a front one FOC I can send you one in return for a quick review afterwards. Please email me if this is any good to you.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Decathlon do some neat ones for around 6 quid. They’re quite cute too, in a Wall-e/Johnny5 kind of a way!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Smudge – ygm

titusrider
    Free Member

the knog rear light i had was awful.

As everyone has said they are barely even water resistant and mine packed up within about 3 months

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Got one of smudge’s rear lights on the mtb, nice little thing and surprisingly bright. Seems pretty secure, doesn’t rattle about. My mudguard keeps it clean and dry. Perfect for the mtb really

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Knog are utter pish.

I have a Moon 60 rear that can be used as a strap-on (Ooo, err, missus) and it’s brighter than the sun. Ish.

inbred853

Kong, front and back, translucent case so it lights up **** bright, had them for over two years now and used them in all weathers with no issues.

jamiep
    Free Member

The ebay copies aren’t worth it.

I’ve got a Skully when they were about a fiver and free postage from on=one which are very bright for a pocket light. The ones on there at the minute aren’t the original ones

However, these are bright too, but it’s now £2.50 postage
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/LISMRTMINI/smart_mini_led_light_set

Phil_H

Knog frogs are £3 each on chain reaction at the moment

aP
    Free Member

I dallied with knog and IMO they’re on a par with CB for quality and longevity. I use either flash/flare or electron backup USB charge lights.

spyke85
    Free Member

The Revolution ones from Edinburgh Bicycle are awesome. No batteries, just charge them up via USB. Check them out.

jamiep
    Free Member

dunno if it’s what you are after, but I’ve just seen the Smart R1 is now only £11 on CRC, which is a steal

unovolo
    Free Member

I have a kong boomer on the seat post which is very bright and has been ok in the wet so far for me.
    Also got a Knog beetle on the h/bars of my road bike which did start playing up a bit after a proper deluge,dried it out and it’s been fine ever since, and…… Got some Knog frogs on oe of my helmets(ooh errr) which have been totally weatherproof but not mega bright.
    Main front light duties fall to a Cree light off deal extreme.

cozz
    Free Member

ive got the twin led ones from decathlon, and they seem pretty god to me, and in all diff colours

stoney
    Free Member

I Had a couple of the smart 1/2 watt lights….

Insanly bright but had no real water resistance…

So, Got a silicone Knog.. thinking this will be ace….. Errrrrrmmmm. NO 😉 Total rubbish when it got wet. (and believe me it got wet on a regular basis, after each was removed, taken appart and placed on a rad to dry) Still utter garbage…..

Now running a Scully…..Had 1 pack in due to not taking it off to dry 😳

relaced without question and am now on No 2.

All of a sudden when you mount up the money spent on rear lights, you may as well have got the Hope Distict Rear…… 😯

or maybe NOT……… 😉

Seems to me that no-one can come up with a rear light thats affordable! 🙄

bigbloke
    Free Member

I use a Knog Frog Strobe on my rear without issues at all so far.

xdownhiller
    Free Member

i use knog front and rear on the road with no issues at all buy genuine knog not cheap crap
    shaun

aP
    Free Member

Knog stuff is still unutterable rubbish. Just buy decent, reliable lights.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Knog-style sillicone bike lights’ is closed to new replies.