Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Knee pads- which?
  • hora
    Free Member

Try spam box?

peateater
    Free Member

I can ride all day in my Endura MT500 pads, and no I’m not from Surrey…

Suggsey
    Free Member

I’ve been using G Forms for XC riding……any pads that make you sore or you dont wear as they aren’t comfortable are pointless….as I have found out like lots of other big lads. I’ve crashed in the GForms at Kirrouhtree on a rocky chute and they did the job spot on…..so all the neigh sayers about their level of protection are wrong IME. Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t wear them at Antur though.
    I tried some of the Leatt 3DF elbows, lovely and comfy but after less than 12 months use the retention bands lost its stickiness and they just slide down. The knee versions in XXL I got on….just but the bottom edge material was cutting deep into my calf as was the top into my quad….struggled to get them off.
    Pads sizing across the market is messed up I’m sure that they don’t increase the girth of pads in the same proportions as they size them up. There’s stack of us struggle with pads issues!

hora
    Free Member

Wow the g-forms look abIt mad but not in a bad way looking at a review. I might have to order these too

Woodentop
    Free Member

Anyone used the Bliss ARG Minimalist Knee Pads ?? I like the idea behind them but not sure what they’d be like in an impact.
    Cheers

heckler73
    Free Member

Poc vpds , awesome I feel they even support my crappy right knee, once they warm up u actually forget they’re on tbh , pricey but glad I got a pair I don’t feel like selling after a couple of rides

Suggsey
    Free Member

Hora, the GForms come in all black too…. But I’m tight so bought the yellow as they’re a few quid cheaper 😆
    And on the back of this thread, I hold you all responsible but mainly Hora as I’ve just ordered some XL POC VPD to try on…..if they fit I’ll keep them for riding where I wouldn’t necessarily trust the side coverage of the GForms….if they don’t I’ll just send them back and stick with full length hard shells.

hora
    Free Member

Bah its like I pressed your finger on order 😉

survivor

In the same boat as OP. Fox Launch Pro’s have died on me but have had my money’s worth out of them so can’t complain. Can be hot and occasionaly chafed on longer rides so after reading all the posts here I’ve ordered a couple of sizes in the Race Face Ambush as fancied trying some D3O ones out.

If I’m not happy I’ll just re-order some Launch Pro’s again. Thanks for the input folks 🙂

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I was wearing G Form when this happened http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-this-wound-healing-ok

Now i wear the Fox

hora
    Free Member

Pad stayed in place but wasnt enough protection?

honourablegeorge

Hob Nob – Member

Tried the Leatt’s – probably the worst fitting pad of the lot of me!

Heh. We’re into the realm of saddles and helmets here, it’s all personal.

And I find trying them on isn’t always conclusive – need a few rides to decide. Have bought quite a few I thought I was OK with but ended up not liking. Elbows are worse, they all seem to give me arm pump.

Del

posted this before. WRT D30 check their care instructions:
    pdf
    you’re not supposed to wash the stuff. 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Really? I might ping them an email to clarify.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Nothing in spam either hora…

It’s mailtocuriousyellow at gmail dot com

MSP

Anyone tried the bliss arg vertical knee pads

http://www.blisscamp.com/en/bike/protection/bliss-vertical-knee-pad/a-18798/

The size chart seems to sugest the xl might actually fit me, may also be of interest to suggsey.

hora
    Free Member

I saw a review that put me off- will have a relook – Edit different pads.

curious- resent from another address

pcosmic
    Free Member

love my gforms. full day in them and I barely notice. They’re amazing.

hora
    Free Member

The ‘problem’ with G forms is they aren’t massively cheaper than D3o pads? The other thing is the styling is very very marmite 😀

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a set of the 7 iDP Controls, they are probably the only non bulky pad I haven’t tried yet.

Sods law at £80 they will be the best fitting & most comfortable 🙄

hora
    Free Member

curiousyellow – get someone else to try sending you an email. I’ve sent you one from two different servers/emails (and copied/cut as required/double-checked). Maybe you have an anti-bollocks filter fitted 8)

phy7tes
    Free Member

I have Raceface Indy pads. D30 so flexible but should be decent in a crash (I haven’t yet). Very comfortable and lightweight so I never even think about not putting them on.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

hora – Member

curiousyellow – get someone else to try sending you an email. I’ve sent you one from two different servers/emails (and copied/cut as required/double-checked). Maybe you have an anti-bollocks filter fitted

mailtocuriousyellow at gmail dot com

Tried it from a couple of accounts I’ve got and it seems fine. Checked Spam and Trash. I’ve not known anything to silently filter e-mail from people.

I even tried copying and pasting what I’ve posted here in case I was spelling my address wrong, but that’s come through as well. Very strange.

I can try and e-mail you if you’re comfortable supplying your address?

hora
    Free Member

markhoracekuk at yahooooooooooooodot com

hora
    Free Member

661 Evo D3o Medium and large arrived. Not much in them sizewise (medium better wierdly) but on both the bottom of the D3o gently ‘digs’ into the top of my shins. Just a reminder that its there but over time could it trap/rub any dust or dirt into the shin/rub?

So they are going back 🙁

gelert
    Free Member

Just wanted to update my experience with Fox Launch Pro XL verses Raceface Ambush D30 XLs.

I’m leaning towards using the Ambush pads for longer / hotter / sweatier rides and the Welsh Enduro Series race this weekend.

Both pads feel really comfortable on but there’s a difference once you get riding.

I’ve tested both pads this week on after work rides up local 800ft+ road climbs. Both rides were comparably “sweaty” by the time I got back home. I much preferred the Ambush pads feel and there was no irritation at all – I forgot they were there. I was getting irritated by the Fox pads and any longer spent in them was going to begin hurting.

I’ll keep swapping between them now I can’t send either back depending on the kind of ride I’m going on.

shiatostorm
    Free Member

interesting thread. After being in a recent car crash (no real serious injuries, just smacked about a bit with various aches to get through) it got me wondering about body armour etc.
    I’ve never ridden with knee pads – even out in the alps never had them, just made sure I didn’t ever fall off! I tend to fall in the ride-all-day-but-fast/xc category rather than the fad of ‘enduro’ which seems more downhill than actually follow it’s prescribed name of ‘endurance’ oddly. Still, assuming they’re a good idea – and recognising LBS’s tend not to stock huge ranges (just one or two makes) which are the decent lightweight ones – rather than the iron-man-bulletproof-exoskeleton ones worth checking out? Er-ing towards them maybe being a good idea as I hit some of the downhill trails pretty hard, bit of scrape protection for that one time I dismount probably would’t go amiss!

hora
    Free Member

Ordered both 5400 & 5450 in medium. Should be a close fit to negate them slipping plus I’ll emulate core-sick rider Binnersemnuk

koldun
    Free Member

Horses for courses i guess. I use the Fox Launch Pro’s and haven’t had any irritation though i sweat a lot. Plus they’ve always stayed in place and protected my knees in (the many) crashes.

mudsoul
    Free Member

@Woodentop: I have the Bliss ARG Minimalist and they’re as comfy as the G-Form pads (which started coming apart at the seams after about a year). Can’t comment on protection as I haven’t tested them in a crash yet :), but Enduro mag did a lab test (real world conditions may vary) of the protectiveness of the pads (among others) and they seem to like them.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Hora, the POC VPD 2.0 knee pads arrived in XL and they are simply superb! Fit better than a pair of Leatt3DF, with better retention straps, as comfortable as GForms with slightly better coverage and better protection. The other benefit over the GForms is I have found GForms ‘stick’ a little to longs/shorts and actually cause my lower clothing to move down.
    I’m now saving for the POC Elbow Pads. 😆
    So my recommendation is for POC….. It appears you get what you pay for!

honourablegeorge

Where did you get the POCs in XL? Didn’t think they did an XL

Woodentop
    Free Member

@mudsoul: I actually ordered a pair earlier on, have used some old Xeno/Hardknox pads for years (about 18!) but stopped wearing them a while back as they’d seen better days, I don’t expect these to offer the same protection, but they should be a lot more comfy, plus they’ll be better than no pads !
    I read that lab test aswell, I think they’re worth a shot …hopefully won’t need to test them!

SOAP
    Free Member

POC have Air and VPD2’s both really good.

Suggsey
    Free Member

CRC have XL POC in stock and super fast delivery!

Suggsey
    Free Member

And they are proper XL size not euro slim!

hora
    Free Member

I thought I was big legged 🙁 . My upper leg is 17inch/34 waist/98kg/6ft2.

I think I have girls legs, mans barrel top

fr0sty125
    Free Member

That sounds like a good look…..

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Picked up my POCs from Merlin, they have fatty fatty bum bum size in stock.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

661 Evo D3o Medium and large arrived. Not much in them sizewise (medium better wierdly) but on both the bottom of the D3o gently ‘digs’ into the top of my shins. Just a reminder that its there but over time could it trap/rub any dust or dirt into the shin/rub?

I found I had to size down from my usual medium on these, as there was a lot of extra pad & material in the middle. They are quite tight around the lower leg, but I never had any issue with pain etc.

My 7 iDP Controls turned up. Typical, they are probably the most comfortable pads I think I’ve ever tried on. Looks like they were an expensive tester.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Knee pads- which?’ is closed to new replies.