Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Knee pad advice
  • bigpole
    Free Member

I ‘kneed’ some advice on getting some knee pads, I know that it would be cheaper if I didnt keep falling off my bike, but somtines I do, and find I cant ride for weeks! and I only have one set of knees that I want to keep!.
    I want them mainly to ride around trail centres, so need them to be quite light, comfy, but most of all to protect my knees.
    I have been looking at Kyle straits , but there is also Fox and even Endura Mt’s to consider, any advice, experiances etc Thanks.

tracknicko
    Free Member

I only have one set of knees that I want to keep!.

Kyle Straits

TLD Bones.

hora
    Free Member

In Jan I did this to my knee thinking about what I was going to have for my tea whilst going down the Beast in the Peaks. Following that I decided to buy Kyle strait pads. AMAZING. I used to own a set of Roach/Raceface knee/shin pads but never used them as you ALWAYS knew they were there.

The Kyle Straits though, you ‘think’ they will be there/obvious but they aren’t..

hora
    Free Member

Ps. I have nobbly knees normally.

tracknicko
    Free Member

In July 2009 I did this to my knee whils wearing kyle straits, thinking about getting up to speed for the pearce DH round i was practising for.

I also own a set of TLD Bones pads but wasnt using them as they were slightly less comfy.

Up to you if you prioritise comfort. but if you do. what’s the point in pads at all?

tracknicko
    Free Member

PS i still walk with a limp, struggle to get up and down stairs, and have a 20cm scar down my right knee after 2 operations and pretty much a whole year off the bike.

hora
    Free Member

tracknicko ouch however I don’t ride DH or get any air. Purely singletrack mincing on rocky trails.

Rickos
    Free Member

POC Knee VPD’s for the win. Comfy and good protection. The pricier end of the scale though. Had mine 2 years and they’re wearing very well, in fact so well that some chap I ride with didn’t believe they were 2 years old. Quality kit.

tracknicko
    Free Member

i slid out on a rooty corner at approx 10mph.

admittedly onto a tree stump… but I wasn’t getting particularly radical, it wasnt even a particularly hard bump.

don’t think that scenario is limited to DH…

biga1
    Free Member

PS i still walk with a limp, struggle to get up and down stairs, and have a 20cm scar down my right knee after 2 operations and pretty much a whole year off the bike.

Same here,

The xray I had pre surgery showed a right mess. Patella was totally shattered. Had op to flush out all the small bits and then pinned and wired the two big bits together.

That was may 23rd 2010, been back on a regular mountain bike since march this year but still feel it and not sure if it’ll ever be right.

Funny thing was I did this on a really nice easy woodland path which I would have never have thought about putting pads on for anyway.

Anyway tried kyle straits and Alpinestars, still not found anything that I would feel comfortable riding a bike in all day. New endura ones seem fairly minimilist though!

jedi

hard shell for the win

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Knee pad advice’ is closed to new replies.