Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Knackered garage door! help!
  • ElectricWorry
    Free Member

Got home from a weekend of exmoorish riding only to attempt to open the garage door and be foiled by a detached handle and door catch. handle turns but doesn't release the top catch.

Question is how the hell do I get into the garage to reattach the door mechanism?!? no window, no extra doors.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Is it an up and over type?

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

yup. metal up n over. only one catch at the top.

PePPeR

Give it a smack where the top retainer lives and you'll probably be shocked at how easily your secure looking garage door can be opened!

PePPeR

Failing that your local chav will get in there in under 10 seconds for you.

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

disappointingly aware of the smack the top of the door trick, sadly cos the spring is detached from the handle the catch has sprung up further than normal and the whack it ard trick doesn't seem to be doing it. usually park the van right in front of it to stop pesky bike thieves.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Can you see the retaining strap? Cut through it with a hack-saw. Or get a hole saw and cut the door so you can access it further down and pull it down by hand. Then you'll just need to patch it up with plate…

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

rented house so I think I'll try to get to the retaining strap over the top of the garage door with a hacksaw blade, that'll only be £20 to replace as opposed to wrecking the landlady's garage door.
    cheers for the advice.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Knackered garage door! help!’ is closed to new replies.