Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • KMC chain???
  • cubemeup
    Free Member

people i see loads of riders going on about KMC chain, whats all the fuss about i really dont know.
    i heard that u dont need to lube them so do u take them off while washing your bike???
    are they worth buying if so i should think you need to buy top end

scaredypants

i heard that u dont need to lube them

I doubt that, A LOT (unless you’re in California maybe) !

their chains are fine IME – used cheap 8,9sp ones and fancyish 10sp

cubemeup
    Free Member

anyone??

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve got a KMC chain. It doesn’t seem to lost it’s finish like Shimano or low end SRAM chains do, but it needs just as much lube as the next chain.

Otherwise your chainrings get worn out quicker, innit.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Been using the silver/grey ones for a few months, 8 and 9 speed. They do seem pretty good. Of course they need to be lubed, not noticed rust when I’ve left it after a wet ride though.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Being using KMC for years for races and dossing, better than duraace and xtr, cheaper as well. Have them on MTB’s and road bikes.

Never snapped one, snapped a few top end shimano and sram.

The best chain IMO. They do need oil as every chain does.

avdave2

KMC hub/single spped specific chain here and it seems very good. It’s used in the worst conditions daily and gets no more than a wipe over and GT85. It’s perhaps not as smooth on occasions as the previous cheap SRAM chain but after initial stretching I haven’t adjusted the ebb in months. It’s been running happily for a year nowand as PJM1974 says they don’t lose their finish, it still comes up shiny if i rub the dried up mud off it.

stumpy01

I’m sold on KMC chains – been using them for a few yrs now.

SRAM seem to wear quickly & a couple of mates who always use them seem to snap chains several times/year.

The KMC ones just seem to work, but i don’t understand why you wouldn’t need to lube them.

rootes1

after using shimano, sram and kmc they all seem much of a muchness at all price points…

wippermann chains however do really seem to last longer

obviously for winter use it is a shame the default ‘Sedis Black’ is not available…. cheap and just the job for winter

cubemeup
    Free Member

iv just heard down my LBS that they dont need to be lubed. saying that mind the guy doesnt have a clue!!

Scamper
    Free Member

No complaints with my KMC 9L’s. In my limited experience seem to last a lot longer than SRAM.

pitduck
    Free Member

it needs oil 😀

woffle
    Free Member

KMC shiny gold one here – been fine for past 6 months or so – does need lube though…

DT78
    Free Member

I’m a serial chain snapper (yes I know, learn to change gears) and since moving to KMC SL chains I have only snapped one chain and that took a few chain ring teeth with it. Much stronger than shimano & sram.

They do still need lubing. Whoever told you they don’t is a moron.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘KMC chain???’ is closed to new replies.