Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Kinda OT. Riding with diabetes.
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

So, how do you go on?

Ive just been diagnosed, and although its answered a lot of questions, its thrown up a few too..

Like, what energy drinks can you use, if any?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Quite an ironic username for a newly diagnosed diabetic!

I was diagnosed 3 years ago. I eat and drink what I like – just do a lot of cycling. I’m on med’s though. Exercise DEFINTELY helps with this condition.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The double Irony, is I don’t drink Tea, or take sugar.. 😐

Could be time for a forum name change.. 😳

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fontmoss
    Free Member

how about ‘gliclazide rider’

igmc

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Are you type 1 or type 2? Do a search on here it’s come up many times over years. Mrs V8 is type 1 and we found some of the info very useful.

derek_starship
    Free Member

One thing to bear in mind – alcohol lowers blood sugar levels 😀

Are you controlling it with diet or med’s?

Edit: I’m assuming you have Type 2.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Its a learning curve, but there’s a fair few of us on here, so plenty of people will be along to offer advice.

Key to going for a ride is preparation. If you are being treated just by diet and tablets (such as metformin), then the effects of riding won’t be as dramatic as if you are taking insulin. you will find that you get used to how your body copes and the effects of the meds.

Before you set out on a ride, take a blood sugar reading so you know where you are. If you need to, eat before you set out and always take something to munch on with you. make sure you have something that’s going to give you a quick top up of glucose as you’ll need this if you go low. for longer rides, slow releasing foods as well. be prepared to take your tester with you as well.

Get yourself an ID tag with the fact that you are diabetic recorded on it – in a worst case scenario, it could really save you! I’ve got a RoadID for this – customisable text, quick delivery (from USA) and doesn’t look numpty!

Also be prepaired for the effects a good long hard ride will have after you get back and for the next 12 hours or so, you may well find yourself quite low (in sugary sense) compaired to other days

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Nick,

take a nurse out with you.

Tap 😀

DickBarton

Jelly babies!!!

I’m just getting back into exercise and need to relearn it all. Not a problem, just needs a bit more prep and you should be fine. Will take a few months for you to adjust to it all but you should be fine.

Welcome to the not-so-exclusive-as-it-once-was club.

I’m type 1…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Kinda OT. Riding with diabetes.’ is closed to new replies.