Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Kilt buying
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Anyone reccomend me somewhere to get a kilt in scotland ? – not based on price but quality and service

Needs to be the davidson tartan

http://www.tartans.scotland.net/tartan_info.cfm@tartan_id=372.htm

Im based in aberdeen but will travel as i appreciate prices in the north east are probably inflated

Got a few weddings next year im not involved in the ceremonies but i still want to wear a kilt …. Would a grey tweed jacket and waist coat be suitable bearing in mind im only 25 – my grandad wears a green tweed jacket for his day outfit with the kilt .

Something like a crail jacket Im not doing a bonny prince charlie and i want to throttle people who turn up to wedding ceremonys ( fair enough to evening partys but not the day ) in jacobite shirts when i worked behind the bar

epicyclo

Chisholms in Inverness have been doing this for generations. Proper kilt shop.

Don’t know what the service is like these days, but it used to be really good.

Wear what you like with your kilt. The rules only apply to sassenachs.

organic355
    Free Member

couple of decent shops in dundee, and loads in st andrews.

These guys sorted me out for my wedding: http://www.thekiltstore.com/

but if you wanted more traditional try

http://www.keithscottkilts.co.uk

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bagstard
    Free Member

I got mine from Geoffrey Tailor and was very pleased with the service, quality and fit for the whole outfit. The grey tweed would be quite nice with your tartan, I went for a more contempory style grey tweed jacket to go with my Thomson blue kilt, a good blend of traditional, but not fuddy duddy.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I had mine made byThe Sporran Shop Perth and highly recommend them. Beautifully made and very reasonable for the whole outfit. They came up with a few things other shops didn’t, like pleat sizing, and where the pleats are folded to pick out a certain colour in the tartan

As far as tartans go, you need to have a look through different sample books as all tartans vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer. There are also different versions of each tartan such as hunting, ancient, dress, muted etc.

A grey Argyll jacket will look smart, but also consider a black one which is OK for both daywear and evening

bedmaker

Got mine from Chisolms in Inverness 21 years ago, ex hire so already quite well used.
    I have also used it well in that time as a piper, 100+ weddings, summer busking stints, foreign drinking sprees etc.
    Still in perfect nick.
    Never washed it though 😯 I think that is the secret to it not falling apart, sort of like samsons hair.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

seconded Keith Scott’s in Dundee
    Got mine from there – not the cheapest and took a couple of weeks, but the service and attention were excellent. A few years ago now, but doubt if it’s changed much
    Acessories – your choice. I tend to wear a crail jacket and waistcoat or giant woolie jersey (north ronaldsay wool). For the belt and sporran, i went to these people. Plain Sporran in oxblood, belt in same colour with stag’s head buckle and antler kilt pin. the red of the belt and sporran work well with the tartan (mine’s is Johnson, dark green/black, quite similar to Davidson)

not a good picture, it’s more pewter, like this \/ \/

bigG
    Free Member

had mine made by geoffrey tailor in Glasgow, along with a bespoke black jacket and waistcoat. Geoffrey himslef did the measuring up and fittings.

I had three fittings in total and the whole process was pretty smooth, they have a great selection of tartans,but had to source mine (at no extra cost).

Total cost was around a grand from memory. Money well spent as I don’t think i’ll ever need to buy another kilt.

G

duckman

A hat-trick for Keith Scotts Terry. Old fashioned service,(Wee chubby guy has wandering hands, but never look a gift horse etc) Better quality than Slainte etc IMO.

GrahamS

Got mine from Clan Albanach in South Queensferry, Edinburgh.
    Small shop, decent price for a full rig out (the old Bonnie Prince for me), well made and able to source the specific tartan I wanted (Stewart of Appin Hunting Ancient).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cheers guys food for thought didn really rate slainte when i looked in ! Not that i know the first thing about kilts really

Ps stuart/duckman jayne landed on her feet with a full time perminant position in st machar academy and is enjoyin it !

beinbhan

2nd The Sporran shop in Perth

tails
    Free Member

Out of interest how often do you see people wearing kilts in Scotland? Is there anywhere, where the kilt is preferred to trousers? Would people wear one to an interview or are they just for weddings?

organic355
    Free Member

Out of interest how often do you see people wearing kilts in Scotland? Is there anywhere, where the kilt is preferred to trousers? Would people wear one to an interview or are they just for weddings?

😆

messiah
    Free Member

Any excuse is good enough. Birthday meal at a restaurant, corporate function, and some people do wear them for work. I have a Tweed kilt I use for less formal events.

trail-rat – I bought mine at the place on School Hill, by the time you’ve hunted around and travelled half the country any saving will be gone on petrol. Go in to the shops in Aberdeen and buy from the one that gives you the best service or the product you want.

The only reason to travel to Edinburgh or Glasgow is if you want something a little special like a leather kilt… 🙄

:mrgreen:

GrahamS

tails: they are worn formally at weddings and funerals etc. Often less formally at Hogmanay (New Year) and ceilidhs, and much less formally for rugby matches, highland games etc.

I don’t think many folk in the central belt wear them on a day-to-day basis and wouldn’t wear them for an interview or anything. Next time mine will get an outing will be my work Christmas night out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not to interviews but any oter formal occasion or party

scotsman
    Free Member

Alex Scott’s on School Hill/Back Wynd is as good as any and reasonably priced and good service, avoid McCalls on Bridge Street bunch of…………………

DrJ

Marks and Sparks sell some nice tartan skirts at reasonable prices.

GrahamS

Marks and Sparks sell some nice tartan skirts at reasonable prices.

*Sassenach Alert*

Men, get the tiny plastic knives out of your socks and prepare for battle.

epicyclo

GrahamS – Member
    ‘Marks and Sparks sell some nice tartan skirts at reasonable prices.
    *Sassenach Alert*”
    Men, get the tiny plastic knives out of your socks and prepare for battle.

Mine is a Fairbairn-Sykes I converted. Much more effective than those plastic jobbies. 🙂

MrGrim

Would people wear one to an interview or are they just for weddings?

Maybe an interview as a piper 😉

I’ll recommend my local which is Kingdom Kilts in Dunfermline. Always had good service, but I wouldn’t travel too far for the privilege.

If I remember you’re originally from the Broath. Is that place up Guthrie Port still there? Last time I went in is for my prom mind.

AlasdairMc

I went to the place in Musselburgh, specifically because my dad got his there and we wanted the exact same weave of tartan.

I completely agree about Jacobite shirts, they look awful – especially if you’re the groom… 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

No mr grim thats a ladbrokes now ! Thats where my grandad got his and my first port of call 🙁 tey retired !

trail_rat
    Free Member

Went there fir my prom too !

GrahamS

I completely agree about Jacobite shirts, they look awful

http://www.kilts.com/jacobiteshirt.htm

😯

MrGrim

Shows last time I was up that part of the toun! Prom was in the Colliston then naked golf at 5am at Letham Grange.

duckman

That’s a result in current times Terry. Machar had the rep for being a mixed school with a good staff…And a police station 😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

Still does ! She enjoys the challenge – says the management are excellent when there is trouble

Mr grim are you 28 or 29 ? Just curious as my mate regales such tales and he is that age

jamiec360
    Free Member

Got mine at Slanj in Glasgow good service and better range of fabrics in my Tartan but it’s the same as the owner’s so he had sought out some better mid weight fabrics.
    Also had the option to have the fabric made as I really wanted my ancient hunting rather than the Craig modern but need 2 kilt lengths at £1500 before the actual tailoring so just got the modern. Good range of accessories as well but I actually got my Sporran, kilt pin and Ghillie shirts from Hector Morris as they were quite a lot cheaper.

Definitely recommend one of the kilt rolls for transporting it mines’s been to the US, India and Aus and came through unscathed every time.

Need to get some new Ghillie brogues Might wait until Lidl have them in again see what they’re like were only £20 when they had them last year.

druidh
    Free Member

jamiec360 – Member
    Definitely recommend one of the kilt rolls for transporting it mines’s been to the US, India and Aus and came through unscathed every time.

I use a camera tripod bag I got from Jessops years back.

druidh
    Free Member

Just because…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7bBI0GZrmg[/video]

duckman

Shows last time I was up that part of the toun! Prom was in the Colliston then naked golf at 5am at Letham Grange.

Prom in the Colliston? Living the dream there! I though Letham Grange had their own armed community wardens to keep the riff-raff out? With the right to use lethal force on any punter from Mayfield!

DrJ

Acessories – your choice. I tend to wear a crail jacket and waistcoat or giant woolie jersey (north ronaldsay wool). For the belt and sporran, i went to these people. Plain Sporran in oxblood, belt in same colour with stag’s head buckle and antler kilt pin. the red of the belt and sporran work well with the tartan (mine’s is Johnson, dark green/black, quite similar to Davidson)

Bit unadventurous. What about …

ketchup
    Free Member

I’ve hired one out of a shop on Rosemount before but can’t remember the name of the shop right now. It wasn’t the tartan you’re after but the guy seemed quite knowledgeable about his kilts so he would probably be able to source it for you.

I’ve been to the one on the corner of Back Wynd aswell (Scott’s?) and was impressed with the service I got from them, they didn’t have my size in stock so they phoned round the other shops in town and then pointed me in the direction of the Rosemout one.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cheers kona bunny but neither of those are my tartan

globalti
    Free Member

I know a bloke who has a mould-making business in Burnley. He unpacks and distributes all the cast metal bits from factories in China that end up being built into belt buckles, sporrans etc. He sells them on the the people who make all the Scottish paraphernalia, most of which is exported to the USA. His biggest customer is in Leeds. Every time I see him he laughs while he tells me the cost of the metal bits then the retail price of the sporrans…. a few pennies from a metal-casting factory in China to hundreds of dollars for an elaborate dress sporran. The other really lucrative line is buckles and bits and pieces for the goth/metal/biker scene. Oh and he also designs bondage gear, a visit to his place can be quite an eye-opener.

konabunny
    Free Member

Mine is a Fairbairn-Sykes I converted.

I’d never buy a Fairbairn-Sykes after all the trouble they caused in the Middle East.

GrahamS

Every time I see him he laughs while he tells me the cost of the metal bits then the retail price of the sporrans…. a few pennies from a metal-casting factory in China to hundreds of dollars for an elaborate dress sporran.

Same could be said for 99.9% of bike bits.. no? How much do you think it actually costs to press out a chainring?

Besides the metalwork is a small part of the sporran. It’s the fur that makes it:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Kilt buying’ is closed to new replies.