Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Kill me now! Recommend me a mattress, please.
  • Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Having spent the last 2 years sleeping on the mattress from hell, we need a new one.

Criteria – King Size, NOT memory foam (had them, don’t like them as too warm) Mid softness. Cost not really important for a good one as I seem to spend half my life on one it may as well be a good one.

Recommend away please.

stumpyjon

Need to try them really but expect to spend a lot for a good one, grand or more.

mick_r

We like our pocket sprung one by Hypnos, was about £800 a few years ago for king size. Still feels like new so seems to be lasting well.

daftvader
    Free Member

we recently got one from bensons… the manager told us that it may not be the most expensive mattress that is best (our budget was up to about 1200) and for a super king ours cost about 600 quid, also a pocket sprung. go and jump around on a few, just don’t get an ikea one as they are crap!

DaveBro
    Free Member

Isn’t this supposed to be next door?

Anyway, a short while ago I stayed in a nice hotel and found out how comfortable a mattress can be / how poor my one is!

So, last week I found out the mattress type (Hypnos pocket sprung…) and after getting over the shock of the cost, I bought one.

It’s going to change the quality of my life, hopefully (probably more than the wheels I also considered spending the money on).

sweepy
    Free Member

I got a king size pocket sprung off ebay for under £150 and its well comfy. When it deteriorates i’ll get another and not only will it be comfy it’ll be sweat free. I don’t think i’d want to spend five times as much and have it last five times as long when it cant be washed and i’m sweating half a litre(?) a night.

nealglover
    Free Member

Hypnos here too.

I was sceptical at first (cost vs benefit), but after sleeping on it, my mind was changed !

_daveR
    Free Member

Do yourself a favour and buy a VI-Spring. We bought a super king Supreme a few years ago and it’s excellent. Medium side for me, soft side for the wife.

You spend more time on a matress than anything else, don’t scrimp! I looked everywhere and these guys beat everyone by miles. I got well over £1000 discount off the list price.

http://www.bedsareuzzz.com/bedroom/vi-spring-range/vi-spring-bedstead-mattress-range/the-bedstead-supreme-mattress/222/954

sig123
    Free Member

When you had memory foam was it on a slatted base ,as I found ours to hot until we where advised that they should go on a slatted base

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

No need for slaughter…it’s a much more important purchase than a chuffing bicycle!

Do yourself a favour and buy a VI-Spring. We bought a super king Supreme a few years ago and it’s excellent. Medium side for me, soft side for the wife.

I looked everywhere and these guys beat everyone by miles. I got well over £1000 discount off the list price.Vi-Spring do make superb mattresses. Also check out Factory Beds Direct who use the same Calico spring bases, the same quality fillings (comparable or better filling weight etc.) but sell for around 1/2 the price.

You spend more time on a matress than anything else, don’t scrimp!

Top advice! 1/3 of someone’s life, on average…don’t baulk at a few grand, work out the cost per hour over, say, 10 years.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Yes, it was on a slatted base. Just don’t like it, keep waking up in the middle of the night in a puddle of sweat, blurgh!

Thanks for recommendations so far, I’m not minted by any stretch but it’s not like I don’t sleep on the thing every night so don’t mind parting with whatever it takes within reason to get a good nights sleep.

EDIT Although having said that just checked out the V-Spring and the other one linked and that might be a bit rich…

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Vi-Spring here too. Mrs took some persuading, but both now agree money well spent.

honeybadgerx

Ikea King size pocket sprung thing in ‘firm’ – absolutely spot on and doesn’t break the bank.

_daveR
    Free Member

Don’t underestimate the discounts you can get. I think ours was supposed to be something like £3500-4000 and I paid just over £2k for it.

Look what you spend on bikes to justify it 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

£2k for a mattress!!?!

Holy cow!

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

loddrik – Member
    £2k for a mattress!!?!

Holy cow!I know…it’s a bargain, isn’t it! For the ‘average’ 8 hours a night:

£2k / 10y = £200 a year = 55p a day = 7p an hour

And we all know how important good rest is to general health & well being…not to mention ‘recovery’ for the keen, ahem, athlete!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

To be fair, I don’t reckon I’ve spend more than £200 on one before let alone £2k! need to go for a mooch around I reckon and lie on some before parting with the folding.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I can get you a prison mattress for £43. They can’t be that bad cos 80,000 prisoners use them.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Recommended these on here before.

http://www.factory-beds-direct.co.uk/who-owns-what-mattress-brand

I.e. Don’t go to Bensons or other similar outlets

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I can get you a prison mattress for £43. They can’t be that bad cos 80,000 prisoners use them.

It’ll be covered in blood, shit and spunk, but whadda you expect for £43!

Erm…I’m not a mattress salesman, btw!

sig123
    Free Member

thats why you was in a poodle of sweat cheap sh*t

bearnecessities

Rest-Assured here, 1400 spring thingy. Everyone says how comfy it is 8)

More seriously though, it is a fantastic mattress for the money – doesn’t require turning etc and like you, I can’t stand memory foam for same reason. Had it now for about 2 years.

Can’t remember model, but was about £700ish.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’ll be covered in blood, shit and spunk, but whadda you expect for £43!

Nooo, that’s brand spanking new, still in the bag! The shitty spunky blood stained one’s get sent back.

bigblackshed

Daftvader.

Can you expand on why you think IKEA mattresses are crap? Genuine question. I’m about to buy one, same spec in name brands are 2-3 times the price, with only 1 year guarantee compared to IKEA’s 25 years.

bigG
    Free Member

I’d highly recommend buying one from the blindcraft workshops charity if you’re in Scotland. Great mattresses, great quality and a great charity. Also much cheaper than equivalent mattresses from standard retailers.

shermer75
    Free Member

I used to have one of Ikea’s cheaper ones, it was the one and only time I noticed the mattress I was sleeping on because as it wasn’t comfortable.

globalti
    Free Member

Believe it or not, cotton Futon mattresses are extremely comfortable!

But yes, a new, good quality mattress will do you a lot of good and a recent new mattress has cured my and Mrs Gti’s nagging back pain.

skiprat
    Free Member

Tried a waterbed? We got ours about 4 years ago now and its spot on. Will never need to bother getting a new mattress as you can’t wear water out. Couple of people i know have had them for 20 years+

A few nights playing about getting the firmness/softness right, just add or take out water and you’re good to go.

Heated so nice to get in in winter and the water absorbs your body heat so not sweaty in summer. You only use a 4 tog duvet so not weighed down by heavy covers trying to keep warm.

My mrs suffered with fibromyalgia. Since getting the bed shes been loads better on a night time so happy here.

This is who we got ours off http://www.aquastarsleep.co.uk/

jumble
    Free Member

Had 2 of the top range Hypnos mattresses. Neither latest more than 5 years before they lost their shape. Also had memory foam.

By far the most comfortable bed in our experience is Jensen that we have now. Eye wateringly expensive, but just a brilliant balance of support and comfort. You can try them at John Lewis.

natrix
    Free Member

Always been happy with the service at Bensons, lots of advice on how to try out a mattress and what to look for.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hypnos.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Kill me now! Recommend me a mattress, please.’ is closed to new replies.