Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Kid’s trailers – suggestions
  • DickBarton

I’ve done a quick search but can’t seem to find anything…clearly I’m not searching for the right words (or the search might be borked for now!).

Anyway, my daughter is 1 year old in a week’s time and I’m thinking it is about time we got her out on a bike – well in a bike trailer so we can start going for some afternoon adventures on the bikes – nothing extreme but a wee bit of very tame offroad would be nice.

Really not sure what is out there or pricing but would appreciate some tips on what is available.

In my head, I’m thinking a seat mounted in front of the rider is the way forward as the rider acts as a sort of roll cage/barrier – but this could rely on the wee one being able to hold on to something. She is walking about with holding fingers and can sit up and do all that sort of stuff so the support thing isn’t a real issue now.

I suspect the front-mounted thing won’t last long and I reckon a trailer will outlast it by a few years.

So lokoing for advice and pointers please – both bikes are full bouncers with no rack mounts so a rear seat is out (and not one I like the idea of anyway).

Cheers (and sorry for posting another thread on child seats/trailers)…

jonathan
    Free Member

We’ve had 4 years use out of our trailer, with another one on the way for a few more years use. Our’s is a Chariot CX1 – not cheap, but worth the money (if that makes sense). Lightweight, stable, foldable, strong (nothing’s broken), off-roadable (has suspension), safe (had a couple of rolls with no ill effect to child!). I reviewed it in a past issue of the magazine (37 perhaps?)

With the CHariot baby-support harness we used it from about 8 months onwards. He still uses it now occasionally, but prefers to be on his bike or the tag-along. Properly weatherproof so you can use it all year round – with the “bunting” bag and the trailer all sealed up he’s been happy in sub zero temps and rain/snow/etc. Certainly happier than the puller 😉

Can’t recommend it enough – cost about the same as an entry level bike but enabled so much more riding and outdooring to be done.

EDIT: just checked prices and the pound hasn’t been kind – currently about £900! We paid about £750 including lots of accessories.

Stoner
    Free Member

weve had 2 great years so far out of our Croozer.

it comes with bits to use as an offroad buggy and a stroller in the purchase price of about £380 ish.

Huge boot in it for shopping and kids stuff. Get a baby insert for when theyre little.

jms
    Free Member

Another recommendation for the Chariot trailers. I have the Cougar 2 and with the baby kit, used it for my daughter (with the baby kit) from 5 months.

Bought it as well regarded as one of the most stable trailers + does have suspension. Also you can get the various accessories to convert it for running and using as a buggy.

Probably looking to sell this soon…

EdwardH

I recommend the Chariot trailers, we have a CX2. The build quality is excellent and it is really strong. I managed to roll it into a ditch, the wee fella (as he was then) wasn’t too impressed but was unmarked. We now take both boys (It has a hammock like arrangement for babies that cant sit up) and the suspension can be set to account for the differing weights on each wheel. Re-sale prices hold up well, so you can almost get your money back when you sell it on. We also have one of the accessory packs that allows my wife to go running with it.

The only warning I would give is to stick to the advised speed limits. I apparently had it up on one wheel on a fire road corner. My wife rather strongly suggested I slow down somewhat……

Just dont let the price put you off

aviemoron
    Free Member

Hi Richard, fit like? I “borrowed” a Chariot off a friend for some family fun during the Spring good weather (!) and found it an excellent bit of kit. Handled our local tame trails nae bother and the missus also found it nae bother to tow(I had number 1 son on the tag-a-long). However, I haven’t bought one as number 2 son will have to make do with our hand me down Rhode Gear rear kid seat – which served Fergs well for many a 2-3 hr Rothiemurchus jaunt.
    Paul.

simonm
    Free Member

great and timely thread for me, my Daughter is near 5months and I’m considering the same. I guess though untill she can sit unaided its a no go with any of the types above ?

Cheers.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just got a Chariot Cougar II. Costly although we were able to “import” it form the states nice and easily which saved a lot. We chose that one cos it has the suspension and the Mrs didn’t want to wait a year before doing anything interesting. Meg was only two months old when we took her out in it on a canal towpath (in the baby sling of course) – she has pretty good head control for that age but even so we were a bit paranoid. Now at 2.5 months she’s fine in it if we take it really easy. Although the suspension does actually work a bit better at slightly higher speeds.

Best thing though is how fantastic it is as a normal pushchair. It’s way better than any other I’ve tried, really really nice to use. Only thing is that the 2 kid one is a bit wide, but no wider than a twin pushchair. Only had one or two problems in shops though despite the width. If you had a 1 kid one you’d be laughing. Brilliant bit of kit.

mugsys_m8

We bought a Chariot Cougar off here used for £220 posted last month.
    We're well happy with it.

Buy better spec model but secondahnd seems to be worthwhile rather than buying a cheaper spec one

smogmonster

Dunno if its any use to you but i have a Trek Super GoBug for sale….check out the classifieds from yesterday.

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

I find the cheap and cheerful Ridgeback AT2 is a great trailer, takes 2 kinds and 100lbs of weight (!!!) light alloy frame and wheels, no suspension but ‘real’ offroading is not something I would takle with a trailer – maybe forest roads at most.

It attaches to the dropout – held by the QR (ditch the lightweight skewer and bung a cheapo shimano on – much better). I got my trailer in a sale for £120 rrp was £170 but that was 3 years ago.

I looked at better trailers but I thought I would not use enough, which I dont, knees take a beating! On the upside, very comfy for little ‘un – even falls asleep in it + cars give you a wide berth (may stick it on for my daily commute).

Rikoshea
    Free Member

Croozer here, Lil rt was in it on smooth roads at 12 weeks in the insert. can’t recommed enough. These are tied in with chariot but come with the jogger and stroller wheels in with the price.

DickBarton

Will let the boss know Smogmonster, thanks.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

OrangeChammy – Member
    I find the cheap and cheerful Ridgeback AT2 is a great trailer, takes 2 kinds and 100lbs of weight (!!!) light alloy frame and wheels, no suspension but ‘real’ offroading is not something I would takle with a trailer – maybe forest roads at most.

It attaches to the dropout – held by the QR (ditch the lightweight skewer and bung a cheapo shimano on – much better). I got my trailer in a sale for £120 rrp was £170 but that was 3 years ago.

I looked at better trailers but I thought I would not use enough, which I dont, knees take a beating! On the upside, very comfy for little ‘un – even falls asleep in it + cars give you a wide berth (may stick it on for my daily commute).

This is what we have and i do use it weekly for taking my littlest to nursary and also picking the elder up from her child minders on the way home. The are very good and you can get a fully water proof cover for it as well as the shower proof one it comes with. In fact this was shoot from ours.

simonm
    Free Member

are either of the above comfy enough (for litte un) on trails like Tissington trail, around Ladby bower etc ?

jamieandangela
    Free Member

Richard

Phone me mate we have a Burley Solo, cracking wee trailler for on and off road use, wee Katie loves it. It attaches via a quick release skewer set up so no damage to the bike even does my carbon fibre road bike.
    Bring up your bike if you want to try it and it folds down great and you will hardly see it in the back of your S-Max.

Cheers
    Jamie

oxym0r0n

Watching this thread with interest as we have twins on the way in 3 months or so…!

antigee

ref Tissington / Ladybower / tpt stuff yes ideal 9months plus bit rough and shakey but damage to both of mine insufficient to stop them becoming lawyers and chasing me thru courts

if on own found it useful to carry couple of planks for those horse/mx wooden box things
    fitted sunblinds (not kevin and tracey stylee! almost) to ours – pull downs
    and depends on bike / tyres / trailer – with a trek thing ended up bolting a bit of perspex on front to stop mud spraying in from tyre

enjoy – kids love it and its good exercise

hamilton589
    Free Member

The thing to consider here is how much are you going to spend on a normal high quality puchchair, then it starts to put the price into perspective.

The Chariot trailers are by far the most advance, the housing systems for all the attatchments allow you to convert on the go and not have to return to the car for the pieces. When converting from trailer to stroller to jogger not to mention hiking harness and cross country skiing conversions, you just simply clip the pieces on and off the trailer for each configuration.

Always choose the two seater you wont regreat it for the extra stability, space you never know when number two child will magically appear or you may have nieces and nephews who can jump in beside your little ones.

When you see what the used Chariots go for price wise you will understand how good an investment it is. Use it for four years or so sell it on for about half of the original price and you are down to less than £1 a week for the privilage of owning the best transport system for your kids. NOT TO MENTION HOW ENVIOUS ALL THE NEIGHBOURS KIDS ARE WHEN THEY SEE IT IN ACTION. 😀

simonm
    Free Member

has anyone used / know anything about the ones that Madison sell, the Adventure AT3 etc ? look simular to others at same price level.. any cons ?

midlifecrashes

I had very good experience with one of these

Hardbase trailer

Ours was branded Phillips and I’ve also seen them with Raleigh branding. Having a hard base which is pretty robust I had no worries of sticks and rocks coming through the base when offroad, and it was easy to attach a child car seat inside. I used straps but it really is solid enough to drill and bolt stuff on if that made you feel better. Also, it was a fantastic thing for getting a full week’s shop from the supermarket, and had loads of space for luggage even with two kids inside.

petrieboy

Croozer and Chariot both look good – sadly a bit rich for my pocket new and e-bay doesn’t seem to have anything on. if anyone is selling, my e-mail is in profile.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Kid’s trailers – suggestions’ is closed to new replies.