Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Kid friendly loops in the Peak district?
  • piemann
    Free Member

Day off tomorrow for democracy, yaay.

I’m looking for a nice route to take the kids on that won’t totally break them or me (so horrible climbs are out). I’m in Manchester so the Peak would be ideal.

My eldest is on a 20″ 6-speed islabike and the youngest is on the bikeseat.

I reckon we could aim for a loop of about 15-20 miles over the course of a whole day. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Iain

jekkyl

Round ladybower. gently undulating round the res is ideal with a stop at the slippery stones for lunch. Much of it completely traffic free.

scaled
    Free Member

Get yerself down the Monsal trail and back. Cracking views, good cake in Bakewell and flat as you like for the nipper.

https://www.strava.com/activities/410210543/overview

Did that with my daughter when she was 5, had the baby on the bike seat as well.

Garry_Lager

Round Ladybower / Derwent / Howden reservoirs is nice with the kids – it’s about 12 miles I think. Nothing properly steep, but a couple of slopes that your eldest will prob need to walk. Easy surface. Nothing there on the way round, but there’s a cafe at Fairholmes.

Granted when I did it with mine of a similar size it was the worst ride in history [seriously, my kids remember it to this day] – the rain and wind came in and we were sheltering under the bridge at slippery stones like refugees. But if the weather is nice it’s a pleasant spin.

Aside from that you’ve got the old railway lines which are nice with the family. Monsal trail, Tissington trail.

flyingmonkeycorps

Maybe do a lap of the reservoir / s from Fairholmes? If you head north it’s all fireroad with some lovely views across, you could add on a loop heading south to extend it a bit too.

There’s stuff like the Monsal Trail too, but I don’t know so much about that.

**edit** too slow! But yeah, what he said.

ebennett

+1 for wot Jekkyl says, but stop at the Ladybower Inn for a pint!

piemann
    Free Member

Great stuff chaps – lots to look at there.

monksie
    Free Member

Middlewood Way in Marple toward Macc. Pan flat, *all* off road, some nice views and a lovely playground at Bollington.
    Rosie & Jim Cafe next to the canal at Higher Poynton.
    Easy, free parking at the start and much closer to Manchester than Monsall Trail etc.
    The Ladybower Loop has a couple of ascents that the youngsters might not like and the road isn’t closed mid week so it can get a few cars going both ways and I’d say “gently undulating” is stretching it…..more than a little.

stevextc
    Free Member

You could do far worse to see if Jon is booked up

jon@extratimecoaching.co.uk

We did a day’s ride with him last Easter and he planned a great route for me and the 6yr old… probably too technical for your youngest in the bike seat but he planned this one based on my kid’s ability and he did it perfectly.

We basically got back to the cars at exactly the right time. Kid rode EVERYTHING Jon planned by watching videos of him…

stevextc
    Free Member
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Kid friendly loops in the Peak district?’ is closed to new replies.