Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Keeping my new Pikes alive
  • Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

Got some new(ish) Pikes. They're fine at the moment, but was wondering what tips you lot might have for getting the best out of them? I've read too many stories of lots of forks dying within a few months. Should I store them the right way up, or upside down? Cleaning with a hose after each ride, but obviously not a high pressure jet wash. Bit of oil around the stanchions and seals? I found a tutorial on how to drop the lowers off and rebuild, but don't really fancy doing that too often!
    Cheers
    Gareth

qwerty
    Free Member

lower leg service

takisawa2

Teflon spray lube on the stanchions occasionally.
    WD40 to make the black paint look nice. 🙂

ferrit
    Free Member

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/how-to-maintain-your-boxxer-forks.html

Video is for boxxers but if they're coil pikes, the procedure is identical.

Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

Cool, thanks for the video.

Any ideas about keeping them the right or wrong way up between rides? Heard something about keeping the seals wet with oil, but also that they can leak if left inverted…
    cheers
    Gareth

walleater

I've had Pikes a year or so and just lean the bike against a wall….

The most important thing to do is keep the seals and stanchions clean. I rub M-Prep onto the seals and stanchions every few rides too. Once applied I cycle the fork a few times and wipe off any remaining grease as it can attract dirt. My fork has no stiction at all.

obirobkeno
    Free Member

I've had mine since late 2006 and never done a thing with them. Usual cleaning, fork oil on the seals and that's it. They're the coils and are still buttery smooth. Lowers are still in good nick and the stanchions show no signs of wear at all… Pretty much fit and forget…

walla24
    Free Member

as i recall store them the correct way up.
    If they are coils? follow my friends service guide here
    and fork juice on the stanchions after cleaning.

grumm
    Free Member

I like that Fork Juice lube. Very worth learning how to take the lowers off and clean the seals every now and then – maybe change the oil too.

It's very easy once you've plucked up the courage – not doing it is probably what knackered my Pike stanchions after a year or so.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

If you've bought them second hand, I'd recommend doing a lower leg lube now. Firstly, RS don't always stick that much oil in from the factory, secondly you don't know what the previous owner did to them. It's really not a difficult job – 15 minutes is easily doable with a bit of practice, but well under an hour even for the first time. They'll feel amazing afterwards as well. Loads of suspension grease in the seals!

mushrooms
    Free Member

The lower leg service is easy but can be messy.
    And compress them when upside down before riding to get oil into the bushings.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Keeping my new Pikes alive’ is closed to new replies.