Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Kanye @ Glastonbury =
  • Klunk
    Free Member

didn’t see it, but I do find it odd that Greenpeace still associates it’s self with this event. Kanye west and his ilk are all about self interest, conspicuous consumption and flaunting wealth.

Our vision
    Last edited 27 May 2011 at 11:10am

The underlying goal of all our work is a green and peaceful world – an earth that is ecologically healthy and able to nurture life in all its diversity.

Until now, modern governments and businesses have treated the Earth as a commodity to be exploited and used up to serve human needs and desires. Our whole economic system is built on the belief that a thing is only of value if it creates money.

By these standards a forest is worthless unless it is cut down and sold. When economists balance the books, they don’t take into account the value of the work that forests do to provide rainfall, regulate the climate and provide habitat for most of the world’s plants and animals, not to mention food and shelter for millions of local people.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have a line DebZ!!! I have a line!!!

😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

Bloody hell, there’s some right old grandad comments on here ‘call that singing?’ ‘Call that music?’
    You really don’t realise that sort of bollocks has been said since jeez, probably before Bill Haley…

Didn’t see him, but just watched this –
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNkPn0JrTFQ

To quote one of the youtube comments “AIDS was the second worst thing to ever happen to Freddie Mercury” 😀

TiRed

There have been controversial acts booked in that slot before but both JayZ and Beyonce absolutely killed it with really involving sets of actual hits, filled with humour and inclusiveness.

This. Not a fan of either of those two, but recognise a good performance when I see it, regardless of musical tastes. Last night was poor and fell flat.

As I said, even on a large screen with all the best surround sound, I just couldn’t get it. Plenty of other options though.

doris5000

Kanye west and his ilk are all about self interest, conspicuous consumption and flaunting wealth.

who are ‘his ilk’?

other Glastonbury headliners like U2, the Rolling Stones et al? you might have a point

Klunk
    Free Member

U2, the Rolling Stones

them too, but as long as there’s free tickets knocking around and an eco tent.

chewkw
    Free Member

The rap crap. 😆

mikey74
    Free Member

Dear god that us awful.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

commenting how crap it is, sad. Really pathetic.

I agree, it would be boring if we all liked the same things.

ninfan
    Free Member

Dear god that us awful.

I like the bit about 27s in where he’s doing a John Redwood after forgetting the lyrics (to one of the worlds best known songs)

leffeboy

The singing was so poor I thought maybe it was one of those dubbed versions

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Im glad I went to Download. Didn’t see one pair of Hunters Wellies!

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Didn’t watch any of it so don’t have an opinion either way but can’t see the point in people getting worked up over the ‘greatest living rockstar’ business and strutting.

Come on people, the whole overblown ego/arrogance/confidence thing is an integral part of the persona/act. It’s just his schtick. His USP. I’m sure if you chatted to him one to one over his cornflakes he’d say ‘course it’s crap and I cringe when I have say this stuff but it keeps attention on me and brings in the cash’

DezB
    Free Member

is an integral part of the persona/act. It’s just his schtick.

I dunno.. I’ve seen a few clips of him talking and he does seem a right dick.
    Doesn’t effect my opinion of the music in the slightest though.

parkesie
    Free Member

Best bit ive seen is someone waving a giant flag with a still from a certain naughty video on it.

CountZero

IoW was better than Glasto this year, truly glad I missed out on Glasto and went to the IoW, I enjoyed everyone I saw on the main stage, which was everyone listed, bar the first band on on one day.
    That included Pharrell, who I did enjoy, despite having no interest in his music; he put on a great show and engaged with the audience, although I could have done with a little less overt advertising by Adidas…

13thfloormonk

is an integral part of the persona/act. It’s just his schtick.

Or to repeat something I read elsewhere regarding the Trump: ‘chumming the media with the trash of his personality’ which seems to explain a hell of a lot of celebrity culture…

Northwind

I dunno, I quite like his music and the stageset/stagework was pretty damn good but is there not some mandatory minimum amount of live music, in a live music set?

sc-xc

Probably not. Sleaford mods (who I really like) just use a laptop and a space bar

dawson

I liked the part of Mark Radcliffe’s intro where he pointed out that an anagram of ‘Kanye West’ is ‘Sweaty Ken’ 😆

fluided
    Free Member

I heard someone say today that Kanye west looked like he was throwing shapes in a microwave 😆

monkeychild
    Free Member

I like the video of him falling on his arse trying to freestyle rap on a radio show.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Great producer. Shit live act.
    Pharell is good at both though.

stevestunts
    Free Member

It’s also an anagram of Wankeyest.

he kept disappearing from the stage for one reason or another

I’m trying to find a possible link between having a massive, massive ego, and periodically needing to do something in private…

cbike
    Free Member

672 Parcans apparently. Entire rig left at working height. Because it had more talent.

Car crash tele and strangely compelling. I thought he was going to stomp off in a huff. He was not happy in that cherry picker.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Just watched the set on BBC iplayer and it was pretty OK.

As anyone who has seen rap live can testify, it is pretty hard to do live, and he held the huge audience well the whole way through the set, which is no mean feat.

If he was genuinely sh1t then the crowd would have given up on him.

He is a rapper/wordsmith, not a singer. He often uses a vocoder to sing but doesn’t try to hide it – it’s not like auto-tune where people are pretending to be decent singers. If a vocoder was good enough for Herbie Hancock…

He repertoire includes a lot of fairly awesome sounding productions with some pretty good lyrical content. It may not be your thing but he has a lot more talent than someone like Kylie, who can do no wrong according to this forum.

All of these guys have ego problems – basically because they are followed by a lot of ass-kissers – and they don’t live in the real world anymore – he’s been sucked into that alternate reality that KK inhabits.

A lot of people here showing their age…

He deserves some props for that set and the number of peoples attention he held…

mikey74
    Free Member

A lot of people here showing their age…

So people disliking something is suddenly an “age-thing” is it? Get a grip.

nbt

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwN6dPNXklg[/video]

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

no – it does seem to be so – people get stuck liking what they did as kids – in the old days of HMV, etc you only had to go in to the shops on a Saturday to see what the middle-aged people were buying.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

nbt

I was under the impression that a large percentage of the crowd left during his set? I didn’t watch it (not my thing) and am not sure if leaving early is the done thing during the last set to avoid the rush…

DezB
    Free Member

It’s definitely not – but the way people are expressing their dislike certainly is!
    “Call that singing!” etc!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

was under the impression that a large percentage of the crowd left during his set

Here’s a screen grab from iplayer from the final few minutes of his set – still an awful lot of people there…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And I wonder what Freddie Mercury would be like trying to rap…

isto
    Free Member

I don’t the whole woo haa about him headlining – he’s popular so he gets booked to headline…there’s plenty of other things on so go see (or red button) one of those and stop creating **** pointless petitions.

At the same time I think most of the stuff he has done is absolutely shite. This is not age related as I like plenty of less mainstream hip hop acts who I would happily watch. I also think he is a complete cock – if evidence is needed on this then watch his whole Beck Grammy fandango. What a muppet.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Here’s some acts I would have seen if I was there:

gaslamp killer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02txxfr/glastonbury-2015-the-gaslamp-killer#group=b007r6vx

gregory porter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02txvmc/glastonbury-2015-gregory-porter#group=b007r6vx

sbtrkt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02tvt4c/glastonbury-2015-sbtrkt#group=b007r6vx

alabama shakes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02tstld/glastonbury-2015-alabama-shakes#group=b007r6vx

and soil & pimp sessions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02txwt0/glastonbury-2015-soilpimpsessions#group=b007r6vx

took the wife to see S&PS in a smallish club in london – risky as she hates noodly jazz, but she liked this ‘death jazz’ set. You know those adverts where the guy is in front of the large speaker with his hair blown back from his face – it was like that for the whole concert…

Northwind

TurnerGuy – Member

And I wonder what Freddie Mercury would be like trying to rap…

Probably alright- can’t think if he ever did it “properly” but stone cold crazy came pretty close. Can’t think of a kanye song he couldn’t stroll, anyway, though he never had the power to be a chuck d or similiar with throw-weight in the words.

Thing is though, if Freddie tried it in practice and it didn’t work, he wouldn’t do it in front of an audience.

ninfan
    Free Member

I most definitley don’t think its a thing against rap – in fact if anyone saw Kate Tempests set from one of the other stages it was a masterclass in the art of rap, and shows how well accepted it is

The problem was that Ken West’s gig was Crap not Rap!

(Ps. It’s worth saying that once upon a time Ken was q genuinley exciting up and coming new rapper, it seems he’s just completley and utterley lost his way)

Notter
    Free Member

As the OP my initial post was really a reflection of the bits of his set that I saw all being done through autotune (or vocode, is that the same thing?!), hence the “Brian the Robot” picture.

I’m all in agreement of different strokes for different folks, and I’m sure my own musical tastes won’t be the same as everyone elses and that’s cool, it’s the way it should be. But……I do think that someone who’s natural singing voice, should be able to do so a hell of a lot better than the Bohemian Rhapsody intro bit I heard from a de-vocoded Kanye.

DezB
    Free Member

and soil & pimp sessions

I caught that on TV, I think it was the worst thing I’ve ever heard in my life.
    Well, maybe not as bad as Robbie Williams, but close.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Kanye @ Glastonbury =’ is closed to new replies.