Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Just the one bike……..
  • yoshimi

yep just the 575 – although even thats hardly getting ridden at the moment <hangs head>

cp

Unless there's a need to *really* free up some cash, I don't see the point in getting rid of bikes unless there are duplicates…

After several years of just one bike, my collection has grown to a peak of 7 a couple of months ago. I'm now on 5, and it will stay like that I think – they all have discrete usage…

muddy winter mtb (fully rigid singlespeed 456)
    fun mtb – cotic hemlock
    ss winter/spinny road bike – tricross singlecross
    nice road bike for dry days and triathlon – focus cayo
    hack/commuter/round town – old inbred with mainly broken bits off other bikes.

edd

I've only ever had one bike at a time. Currently an Independent Fabrication Deluxe. Gets used in the Mendips, Wales, Alps, Indian and Nepalese Himalayas, Oman, UAE. I would like a full suspension bike, maybe an Orange Alpine 160, for the Alps but can't really justify if for 2 weeks a year – anyway the Indy Fab does fine, it was built erring on the hardcore hardtail end of the spectrum anyway.

(Actually I also have a '70s Dawes rescue bike that I use as a pub/ town bike)

oldgit
    Free Member

I'm finding one of each type of bike works fine. Using them for race and riding.
    Hardtail MTB
    Road bike
    Cross bike
    Though this winter has made me think about getting a road/cross hack as the road bikes too precious and I like to keep the cross bike race ready.

a11y

One bike – that is never going to happen with me…

1 x CX bike – commuting
    1 x hardtail – general riding
    1 x singlespeed/Alfined 29er – winter/crappiest conditions riding
    1 x big full-susser – just because

I'm trying hard to resist a 5th bike (another hardtail but different purpose) but something else would have to give way, and I don't want to lose any of my current bikes.

jimmers
    Free Member

I've done it and I have only been riding one off road bike for nearly two years now after selling the full susser.

Went to an Inbred, and now a slot dropout Scandal. Althought it is only one bike it does get changed over alot.

Winter = SS + rigid fork
    Summer = SS + suspension fork
    Summer (big hills) = 1×9 setup + suspension fork

Also with two wheelsets this also make it easier to have a spare wheelset if one of them is bust.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I've considered this. I've got 9 bikes.

That's silly isn't it.

RealMan
    Free Member

Just the one mountain bike – a santa cruz chameleon. But then I have 3 bmxs, a road bike, and a unicycle.. And saving up for a new road bike.

gruffalosoldier
    Free Member

I've managed to get it down to three.

1. Shiny new Anthem X2 for the long sunny days to come…..I hope!!
    2. Orange Clockwork (newer one) for muddy/winter duties
    3. Cove Stiffee 69er….best bike I've ever had.

In my defence, number 3 isn't ridden anymore as it's now become something of a family heirloom. It's so good I named my son after it (Cove….not Stiffee!!) so I want to pass it on to him.

sor
    Free Member

One MTB (On-one 456) and one road bike (Dawes thingy). But both my commuters (EBC Courier and Singlecross) are happily off- and on-roadable.

So maybe I have one and two-halfs MTBs, and one and two-halfs road bikes.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I ride bikes for a living, and I've only got one bike.

Wait…
    Hang on…

Well, there is the old rigid MTB I use on the turbo and on the road. And I do really want a hardtail for keeping up with the vertically-motivated guests…

So that could easily be 3…. 😳

hicksville
    Free Member

one bike but 2 sets of forks and wheels……………light and heavy versions. Brill

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Those of you that seem to be on some sort of religious quest to get down to "just one bike"…
    …do you take the same approach to other essential things in life? jackets?, shoes?,… underwear?!.

i only have one coat! and a bike as an essential thing? sheesh! i've ridden the alps on my hardtail and loved it. and cross country. and toured. i really think it is you, sir, who needs to convince me!

cookeaa

2 MTBs (plus others) here but they are quite different; a 4” forked “trail/XC” HT and a 7” forked DH-HT, I did have a Proper DH bike and a trail bike and a 24” wheeled Dirt MTB for a while but it was a waste when 2 bikes will do for all my MTB riding, I keep starting to fancy a 4X type build but then I have a BMX and I think that is a better buy for getting your jumpy thrills and I’d probably not really bother racing 4x, plus I have a Road bike for commuting, the ideal tool for that particular job….

I think I’m at about the right number of bikes right now, all of my riding bases are covered, there is no duplication of function and I’m not spending lots on maintenance and spares…

I’ve “rationalised” FS bikes out altogether and I’m quite happy with that, I do find myself mulling over “fantasy” builds, then I start costing them up and factor in the amount of use they would actually receive… my current 4 bikes is pretty much optimum for my purposes as it stands right now and for the foreseeable future….

It’s all horses for courses, if I didn’t have a garage I couldn’t spare the space for this many bikes, and if I had any less spare time I couldn’t justify the ownership of the bikes I have…

Other peoples riding will be more or less varied, they will have more or less free time and cash to spend on kit, I don’t think it should be a matter of aspiration to have X number of bikes, more a desire to have the right kit for the cycling that you do…

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Just the one bike……..’ is closed to new replies.