Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • just saved yet another life – it's getting boring now
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

I got up to number 35 and then was not allowed to anymore as they changed the rules about whole blood products (I had a couple of big ops 20 odd years ago)……****' annoying that I'm not allowed to anymore 👿

satsoma
    Free Member

I'm not allowed, I pass out whenever anyone gets a needle near me. Wish I could get over it, I keep trying!

Drac

Can't give blood for about 4 or 5 reasons on their list.

Bet you haven't saved as many as my mate Merv.

Who's a paramedic.

🙄

Bimbler
    Free Member

I kept trying but could never book as my local collection was always over susbscribed, kind of given up now.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Only started in the last couple of years, but always make a point now since my sister had major surgery. I would always recommend making an appointment rather than just turning up. The last few sessions I've been to have been hugely oversubscribed, with lots of people who turned up without an appointment being turned away.

The nurses were complaining that the new blood service mangement were useless, and not giving them enough staff to cope with demand.

Need to put myself on Organ Donation register as well, and they want me to give platelets. As long as I've got blood to spare, you can 'ave it 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I've done it quite a few times, when the mobile unit used to come to our workplace. But they've stopped that and the appointments they send are always on a day when I commute, so I'm reluctant to give a pint away when I need the energy to ride home.
    Is that a poor excuse?
    Do they still run the mobile units anywhere?

toppers3933
    Free Member

i started donating blood a couple of years ago. recently started donating platelets. going again tomorrow for platelets. the thought is always worse than the experience!

therealhoops
    Free Member

I go to the afternoon sess's and turn up the second they open. Never had to wait more than 20mins and yesterdays biccy assortment was top notch. Minipack of bourbons, mint club and another mint club washed down with some Twinnings Earl Grey! not bad for Stockport.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Local session is a week or two off, I'll go and I'm pretty sure, be told 'thanks but no' happens every summer donation when I'm on anti-histamines – i'd rather 'waste' 2 mins of their time finding out than just simply not turn up….

Gotta love the humour of the nurses, couple of sessions back, lady a couple of beds before I went in was struggling to part with blood whereas it does seem to fall out of me – lady enquires how come I'm 'in and out so quick' (stop giggling at the back) – I pipes up that it must be because i'm fit and healthy and have a strong heart.. (as those here who know me could testify, 'healthy and fit' are a bit of a stretch.. so this was said with a smile and very tongue in cheek!) – nurse pipes up, with a wry smile – 'That's as may be MrMM but, in a accident, you'd bleed to death before this lady does!!'… I laughed all the way to the juice and biscuits 😀

finbar
    Free Member

Last time i went i felt weak on the bike for a good month or so afterwards, so i'm waiting til the end of the season before i go again. Not 100% sure they were related, but i don't want to risk it.

younggeoff

Would love to but not allowed to 🙁

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘just saved yet another life – it's getting boring now’ is closed to new replies.