• This topic has 140 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Keef.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)
  • Just rode back from the shop on my newly built 29er, feels weird…………
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

………but in a good kind of wow this bike actually fits me way. First experiences of other people riding they’re 29ers? Will it take some getting used to?

stratobiker
    Free Member

I had a go on stoners 29er. After 10 mins I forgot I was riding it.

It just feels right to me.
    26″ wheels feel like half way between a BMX and a proper mountain bike now.

Google
    Free Member

None of my bikes are 26″ now.
    29er all the way. As soon as you get used to it, 26″ feels like a toy bike.

Stoner
    Free Member

I had a go on a 26er the other day. Damned near killed myself! 🙂

29ers all the way here.

clunker

Give a few good rides out on some decent trails and you will be fine. Like anything new it takes some bedding in.

bigsi
    Free Member

As per the above.

I also found i had to alter my riding “style” a bit in tight twisty stuff to get the best out of it. Basically i find i need to be a bit more forceful with it but that could just me my lack of finesse 🙄

Bikes are great. 29er’s are better 😉

lipseal
    Free Member

Sold all my 26″ stable and now ride 29ers, I just think they roll over stuff better. Still fall off it though 😳

bol

I’ve got the experience to come next week when I get my first 29er built up. I’ve resisted for ages, but have now jumped in feet first with a Niner RIP 9. Decided to keep with a 26er hardtail for now to wring what I can out of the rather uninspiring local terrain, and go 29 for bigger days out. Can’t wait to see what it’s like.

mastakillah
    Free Member

You’ll love it when you’ve riden it more. It’s not a pure case of better or worse than a 26″ bike, just different. Most people that ride a 29er love them, but there not for everyone! Well not until you ride the right one. Just finished building up my 2nd 29er, a single speed at that! I’ll never go back. Enjoy 😀

singlespeedstu

Anyone that tries to jump on the 29er bandwagonwheel is just following the mainstream crowd.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Can 29ers be hammered though? I just imagine the wheels to twang on corners… I’ve no experience at all though. Genuine question. 😕

singlespeedstu

robsoctane – Member

Can 29ers be hammered though?

No that’d be totaly impossible.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ask all the people me and him /\ hammered past on the downhills at the dyfi.

singlespeedstu

😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCi8yEkGYO8&feature=related[/video]
    Still makes me chuckle…..

singlespeedstu

😆

shinsplints

Bought cheap 29r 2 weeks ago to try it out.
    Loved it.
    Sold 2 x 26″ wheeled bikes.
    Ordered new nicerer 29r.
    Will not go back.
    😀

robsoctane
    Free Member

After seeing that video I want to try one. That showed the lot of them, eh? Well done… 😉

shinsplints

roboctane – don’t go thinking that if you get one you will be able to ride like Stu. Stu is a legend… 😉

rOcKeTdOg

He’s got flabby arms in that video though

boxelder

Liking my scandal 29er after approx a year, but the wheels are not as good through rocks, especially at slower speed. Swoopy trail centre type riding feels great though – irons out brake stutter and corners well. Smoother pedally stuff is faster too. Still have 26″ FS and SS though.

bigsi
    Free Member

^^^^^ Look at em all on the smooth line. Pah 😆

Paceman
    Free Member

After seeing that video I want to try one. That showed the lot of them, eh? Well done…

Not necessarily down to choice of bike / wheel size though, more likely better riding skills and aggressive race tactics. Most of the overtaken group look like they can’t really be bothered to even pedal or move around on the bike.

It does look like it rolls well though.

singlespeedstu

rocketdog.
    You try riding fast on the rough line with a shite fork and see how much your arms move. 😉

ruscle
    Free Member

I just can’t imagine the wheels holding up when being blasted through natural rock gardens, over serious root sections and off drops/over jumps. To me their like the wheels on women’s shopping bikes and suited to similar terrain! Can honestly say their not for me or the type of terrain and style i like to ride (no trail centres) Don’t get me wrong I may change my mind 1 day, maybe when I’m old and lost my driving license and need transport to go to the shops! 🙂

singlespeedstu

ruscle – Member

I just can’t imagine the wheels holding up when being blasted through natural rock gardens, over serious root sections and off drops/over jumps.

ruscle – Member
    if I could only cycle in 1 place till I die would be the Quantocks.

Oh dear you seem a little confused and not half as gnarlcore radsik as you’re trying to make out. 😉

bigsi
    Free Member

I just can’t imagine the wheels…

You’ll find life becomes a lot more enjoyable when you stop letting your lack of imagination hold you back.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Horrible things! 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

Busted aren’t that hideous….

ruscle
    Free Member

Not trying to kid anyone, honest I’m crap on a bike but that is also a point as would probably fold the wheels with my ham fisted riding ability! and its how you ride not where imo. Seemed to have touched a nerve! Don’t see any 29ers at quantocks but then their probably mincing about on some smooth stuff somewhere else. Anyway its only my opinion which is only worth something in my mind! Put Steve peat on a 29er and I’m positive he would show me different…

phatstanley
    Free Member

ummmm…….this debate (i.e. “are 29ers tuff enough for the rough stuff?”) is easily solved, but ya jes gotta look in the right places:

http://vimeo.com/27054980

how popular they are/will become is another issue entirely, but they can certainly handle (as long as it’s a frame/build that is used for its intended purpose…)the abuse that your average mortal could inflict on it.

I’ve broken 4 29er frames.
    I haven’t buckled a 29er rim yet.
    In my experience, the wheels are not the weak point.

dasilva
    Free Member

There’s less than 20mm difference in wheelbase between my 26″ Whippet and my 29er Race bike, yes the whole bike is some 3″ longer but that’s at the wheel ends, the tyre contact is in roughly the same place so for me the perception that 29ers are more of a handful through the tight stuff doesn’t hold up.

Wheels are more likely to flex more but for robustness I’ve never had any reason to question them. Smaller incident angles over the same rocks, bigger tyre volumes and higher axle centers seem to be more than enough to compensate. There is also more free length of spoke to take the strain as the wheel deflects in its rotational plane.

singlespeedstu

Don’t see any 29ers at quantocks but then their probably mincing about on some smooth stuff somewhere else.

You make this far to easy. 8)

2008_1210qride0005 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

2008_1210qride0006 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

Even girls on 29ers think the Q’s are a bit lightweight. 😉

2008_1210qride0002 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

big_n_daft
    Free Member

ruscle – Member
    I just can’t imagine the wheels holding up when being blasted through natural rock gardens, over serious root sections and off drops/over jumps. To me their like the wheels on women’s shopping bikes and suited to similar terrain!

tripe really, show me the stories of broken 29er wheels. I’m 17 stone and regularly ride places like Lee Quarry and local trails and a wheel has never let me down, also never seen a 29er wheel fail at the Brownbacks races which hammer bikes

Can honestly say their not for me or the type of terrain and style i like to ride (no trail centres)

how do you know? until you have tried a few you can’t really have a view which is based on experience.

rOcKeTdOg

my wheels just snapped just after this and it’s hardly technical, i’d steer clear if i were you, it’s far too dangeous to ride 29″ off road

rooty line III by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

new set of wheels needed after riding “houns” bridge too, even this was too gnarly for them

the Wyre Forest ride by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

this is where they belong, so you get a nice soft landing when it all collapses beneath you

swift+gull by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

29ers look ridoculous

rOcKeTdOg

dirk_pumpa – Member
    singlespeedstu’s 29er looks ridoculous

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Just rode back from the shop on my newly built 29er, feels weird…………’ is closed to new replies.