• This topic has 140 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Keef.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 141 total)
  • Just rode back from the shop on my newly built 29er, feels weird…………
  • sioffofwebbs
    Free Member

Its amazing just got back from a ride in FOD where i dared to ride my rigid singular Gryphon 29er, bearing in mind im an all out roadie who just doesnt do off piste and it was ridiculously good! did all the trails and single track put in front of me and the bike just rolled like a dream, not a stray spoke in sight. Will never ride small wheels again.

ahwiles
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

ahwiles.

Stop it now you’re just confuslicating the subject with sensible talk.

We’ll have none of that on here thank you very much.

i had a look at a 29er in a shop earlier today, it left me so weak i needed help to leave the shop.

better?

🙂

tollah
    Free Member

LOL @ SioffofWebbs, you were truly hardcore today but just imagine how much hardcorer you’d need to be if you was to ride the Q’s 😉

singlespeedstu

i had a look at a 29er in a shop earlier today

I hope you didn’t take any children into to shop with you. Next time one of them bigwheels explodes it could be a childs face that has it.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Sioffofwebbs has joined singletrack 🙂

Have you seen your pain face from friday night yet?

sioffofwebbs
    Free Member

Yes much pain @ rollapaluzza. Mountain biking is much more civilized. Nice work trickydisco that was an amazing ride. Did you take those “fans” to your after party? 😉

matt_outandabout

I haven’t yet seen a 29er round my way (West Yorks/Peaks etc), maybe they aren’t as well suited to the trails? I don’t know.

That’s cos under us lanky lads, they look normal.

Matt, 29er int’ Peak in 2008

tollah
    Free Member

Sioffofwebbs riding a 29er dropbar rigid without the wheels exploding.

Si Off Of Webbs by sheldonattwood, on Flickr

sioffofwebbs
    Free Member

complete with roadie tights :-)))

singlespeedstu

tollah – Member

Sioffofwebbs riding a 29er dropbar rigid without the wheels exploding.

But how do we know the wheels didn’t explode just after that picture?

And besides that there’s no rockgardens in that picture like there is on the Q’s.

Though there might be a few leaves and a few bit’s of pointy grass just out of shot.

shinsplints

Rumour has it that the Dyfi Enduro is moving to the Quantocks next year as the organisers now think it isn’t rocky enough 😉
    Each entrant must wear regulation safety spectacles (like those ones off of biology lessons at school) to protect themselves from flying 29er exploded wheel shrapnel.
    Ruscle will obviously win.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

martymac – Member

would anyone care to remind me what size of wheels are ridden in paris roubaix?

Ruscle’s point proven: P-R features a veritable bonanza of exploding 29er wheels!

And in case you 29erist forget where it all started, Johann “the Lion of Flanders” Museuw piloted the worlds first 29er full susser at P-R in the 94 edition. Alas, and all too predictably, his wheel exploded.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=5800

EDIT: p.s. Don’t know how “the hell of the north” compares to the Quantocks. Does the latter have a pithy nickname by which we could judge its notoriety?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

the niche attention whores seem to have a bit of sand in the old vag…

singlespeedstu

29ers? niche?

Are you retarded? Even Specialized make em now. That’s as un niche as it gets. 😆

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Had a shot of a lynskey 29er today at GT, was sooooo disappointed when the wheels didn’t go pop, on the upside there will be a lovely carbon 456 for sale next month to help me buy the new scandal 29er when it arrives 🙂

shinsplints

Lol @ Stu

chvck
    Free Member

If 29ers roll better over roots etc… does that not make them skill compensators? 😛

tazzymtb

oes that not make them skill compensators?

yep, I’ll take all the help I can get to make me ride like a god…..it’s to make up for having no friends and smelling a bit like a baboon smoking a pipe full of baccy that the dog’s wee’d in (mind you that’s fairly common in the world of single speed big wheelers)

singlespeedstu

does that not make them skill compensators?

Yes but lets not tell everyone all they’ll not be amazed by our radsik rigid bike skillz innit.

tazy.

You smell more like monkeyspunk than dogweebacky. well you do to me anyway.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

29ers? niche?

Are you retarded? Even Specialized make em now. That’s as un niche as it gets.

Indeed.. and with people now doing the old phat bike thing. Maybe time to find another sport.

tazzymtb

You smell more like monkeyspunk

…..hmmmm the smell of salty bananas, and strangely tastes like forgoodnessshakes 😀

singlespeedstu

Maybe time to find another sport.

After starting schoolboy mx at 5-14, bmx at 10-17, adult mx at 14-17, enduros at 17-23 mtbs at 18-? and still going strong at 43 i think it’s fare to say that i’m still going to be riding bikes for a long while yet. Thanks for your help though. 😉

Maybe you should just consentrate on being a fatfucker and leave the riding to riders. 😉

pedro101
    Free Member

sat behind three 29ers today patiently waiting for said explosions …………nothing! there was a fair bit of prawn barfing though 😆

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljQMpgVY5mg&feature=related[/video]

singlecrack
    Free Member

Chuck Norris rides a 29er….. 😉

trickydisco
    Free Member

@sioffofwebbs. Yep.crazy night was had. Got in at 6am went partying with said girls. Need to work our how to beat that Polka jersey spd wearing guy. Anyway Must have another go on 29er preferably a singular

thekingofsweden

Sorry I’m late got stuck under half a dozen exploding wheels in my garage !

Stu your the best FACT

Si you would have shamed about 99% of the readers on here today with your non wheel exploding antics on your “silly” bike

Tricky you can always borrow one of my Singulars anytime (swift or gryphon) as long as you take the correct safety advice and beware of exploding wheels especially if I’ve built them 😉

And it’s a fact the Q’s are so tough on man and machine I have been known to ride a tandem around them 🙂

tk46hal
    Free Member

Off to the garage to get my dangerous bike out! Am I being over cautious?

zippykona

Do you not think that if off road cycling was allowed to evolve in europe with no u.s intervention we’d all be riding 29ers.
    As a kid my tracker bike was a racer with knobblies and cowhorns.

drofluf
    Free Member

Dodged a bullet today. Rode my 29er and nothing exploded. I know I’m on borrowed time but I like to live on the edge

bunnerscj
    Free Member

‘booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom’ !
    There go my wheels now :o(

tollah
    Free Member

I passed a truck on the M1 earlier, good job he wasn’t near the Q’s otherwise his wheels may have exploded too.

bol

The slightly alarming thing, to a soon to be first time 29er rider like myself, is that Teadrinker has already split and sold the bike he referred to in the initial post. What happened TD? (I note that the wheels you sold had no mention of explodedness).

…a soon to be first time 29er rider like myself…

Don’t do it Bol, you’re a young man with your whole life ahead of you. Think of the future.

teadrinker
    Free Member

is that Teadrinker has already split and sold the bike he referred to in the initial post. What happened TD?

Slight problem with the back of the house and a lot of money needed to fix the problem! Hence sale of the bike which I only rode for two miles. Never even got to see the wheels explode. Gutted 😥

singlespeedstu

This thread has got me a bit worried now.
    I’ve got to get on a ferry to Ireland on Thursday and there’ll be some of these exploding 29er wheel in the back of my car. What if they go off while i’m on the ferry and sink it. They could kill hundreds of innocent people and I’d be to blame. 😳

Keef
    Free Member

Stu,if its the Swansea-Cork ferry,worry not,for me and the Pirate will be taking our dangerously over-sized wheeled bikes on it Wenzdee night.
    So of course by Thurzdee it will have been destroyed and sunked by the hooge explosions of our wheels halfway across the wet bit…. 🙄

singlespeedstu

That’ll be two explodicated ferrys then as i’m going Fishguard Rosslare. 😳

Oh well at least there’ll be two fatwheels in the car too so maybe any survivors can use them as a makeshift liferaft. 😕

tk46hal
    Free Member

Fear not Guys! I’ll be out with the life boat Weds and Thurs just in case the wheels misbehave them selves!

Keef
    Free Member

tk46hal, I shall sleep easier whilst onboard,you old salty seadog you !

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Just rode back from the shop on my newly built 29er, feels weird…………’ is closed to new replies.