Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Just received a 2nd hand pair of Revs and…
  • gcaster
    Free Member

…there’s a fair bit of oil leaked from what appears (on first inspection will double check tomorrow) to be the floodgate adjust seal.
    What would people recommend I do?

I could quite easily replace the seals but I’d be out of pocket for however much the seal/service kit is.
    The seller didn’t mention anything being wrong with them.

Do I:
    a) Man up and live with it (common problem?).
    b) Buy the service kit myself.
    c) Ask seller to go halves.
    d) Ask seller to pay for it.
    e) Send the forks back.

Cheers
    Greg

mieszko
    Free Member

That is where my Reba leaks a bit as well. It probably has too much oil as mine stopped leaking after some time so the excess oil got out and it was fine after that. Try pushing the gate adjuster a bit down. Seems it is a common problem but imho not a big thing.

Jamie
    Free Member

Might have just got some oil where it shouldn’t be in transit if overfilled. Personally my 2010 Rev Races, which I am selling soon, do not leak there.

sv

Loco tuning would be the best place to start for seal(s). The seller may not have had the forks upside down for any period but likely the delivery service did throw them around a bit 😉 speak to Loco the cost of a seal may be very small.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i had this on my rebas – within 2 rides of getting them back from a service too. Apparently the pop-lock versions are prone to this due to the crummy seal at the top. i replaced with a non pop lock top and they have been fine so far (fair bit of riding now)

nuke

Tricky one imo as this is very common on RS forks and in transit they have the potential of being the wrong way up. My Revs will leak if left upside but I’ve not needed to fix them as they’re the right way up all the time. There’s a fair amount of oil in the moco side so unless the lockout has stopped working it might not even need the oil topping up.

Haze

Same on my Revs – leak a touch of oil when I have the bike upside down for any length but no problems at other times.

I’ll probably get around to changing the seals at some point but they’ve been like that for a while now and I’ve not noticed any big problem.

clubber
    Free Member

Tricky one imo as this is very common on RS forks and in transit they have the potential of being the wrong way up.

Ditto – Mine did the same if left flat for a long time but never otherwise. I’d just top the oil up and check that it doesn’t happen again in normal use.

spacecadett
    Free Member

I bought some Revs off here a couple of weeks ago. When they arrived through the post, they had leaked oil– not much oil, just enough to coat the stanctions and cause me concern. I contacted the seller who told me that they had always worked flawlessly so I took his word & fitted them.

I have since used them without any problems at all – there has been no oil leak in every day use so I assume they just leaked a bit whilst upside down in transit.

J0N
    Free Member

Yep. My MC-poplock revs leak from there. Not when upside down but on full compression they hiss and oil come out with the air. Doesn’t affect the performance.
    Find out the cost of a seal, I’m sure its just an o-ring, then decide if its worth the grief of going back to the seller.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

they hiss and oil come out with the air.

Mine leaked a bit from new too and also hissed.

I found a solution to the the hiss on mine – I turn the u-turn back a notch from full travel and they never hissed since. Dunno why.

As for replacing the seal: I dont know your exact model but this guy on ebay sells aftermarket O-rings in a kit for £8 that seem to work well for me:
    http://tinyurl.com/37h9w3z

Jerome
    Free Member

I also bought some Revs off here a couple of weeks ago. When they arrived through the post, they had leaked oil– not much oil, just enough to coat the stanctions and cause me concern.

I have since used them without any problems at all – there has been no oil leak in every day use so I assume they just leaked a bit whilst upside down in transit.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Just received a 2nd hand pair of Revs and…’ is closed to new replies.