Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Just ordered SLX brakes- have I done the right thing?
  • hora
    Free Member

I've had first generation Saint brakes for 5yrs but recently the rear brake has had a fair few problems.

So…..I found SLX's (M665) on a for a great deal (half RRP) and ordered both…

Have I done the right thing? Limited reviews on line (inc mtbr)…..

I will be using my existing 180 rear and 203 front XT rotors.

Tell me your positives (and negatives)….

jam-bo

Someone will get a good deal when you flog them.

richcc
    Free Member

Yes, yes you have. Got SLX, albeit only on commuter and they're good. Factor in needing an extortionately priced olive and insert for when you need to cut the hoses

hora
    Free Member

I don't sell brakes as a rule as they tend to be ****. I still have my Hayes Mags in a cupboard.

Why on just a commuter?!!!!

ton

no, they are crap to set up and crap to keep set up.

i use new saints…………….ding dong……….. 8)

hora
    Free Member

ton new saints are three times the price.

ton

mark……………quality has no price old mate……. 😉

coogan
    Free Member

They are ace. And for the money a flippin' bargain.

CalD
    Free Member

Slx's are awesome, much more reliable than the newer xt brakes. I've got two sets and they've both been perfect, one set vie owned since they were released. Unless your fat, like to brake alot (slow) or have a dh bike you don't need saints (I have a pair of the new ones on my dh bike)
    Enjoy!

hora
    Free Member

I am fat and do like to brake alot but the first gen Saints had the same caliper as the Deores so weren't really 'DH' and as such I hopefully wont miss any power. 🙂

Keep the positives coming – I'd have loved a set of new Saints (partly for the stopping piece of mind) however at the moment I really can't justify spending £200 over the £96 I paid for the new SLX's.

MrGreedy

Isn't it usually better to ask for advice *before* you order?

But yeah, they're great for the money, doubt you'll be disappointed.

CalD
    Free Member

Haha I meant the new saints! I wouldn't want them on a trail bike they're too powerful make revelations+rebas flex rather alot… Not good for the bushings

hora
    Free Member

MrGreedy I fear I have alittle post-purchase cognitive dissonance?

Theres a common theme 'good for the money'. My fear is they are cheap brakes that are slightly cheap in performance. 'You get what you pay for'?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Hora, I had a pair on my prophet when they first cam out. They were great. Apart from the plastic there's no difference in feel to the xtr's that I have at the moment.

ahwiles
    Free Member

my slx have been powerfull, modulatable, reliable, and other good stuff, for 2 years.

oh, yes, and cheap.

the olive+pin costs a quid, and i even like the split-pin pad retention system; there's no need to go mental and bend it over at a right angle, i've found that a simple little 20 degree tweak has been completely reliable, and re-usable, with the added confidence that it'll never seize in place with corrosion after a dirty weekend in the cellar… (i'm looking at you, hope).

as for 'quality' – i'd say it's top-notch, the levers are a bit different from the Xt levers, but not in any way that i could say is worse, or better…

if ever anything stops working, you can get a new calliper, ready assembled, with pads, for £25. and a new lever for about the same.

if you're not impressed, i would be delighted to take them off your hands.

i've got 5 sets of shimano brakes in the cellar (2 deore, 1 slx, 1 lx, 1 xt) and had zero problems for at least 2 years, the deores have been going for more than 4 years.

bleeding is about as tricky as any other brand, and the mineral oil is practically harmless, unlike dot fluid which will make your skin fall off.

the nukeproof 'enduro' pads are very good; long lasting and powerfull – about the same at shimano XTR 'metal', with the added bonus of being very quiet and a bit cheaper.

downsides: they're not 'sexy' – noone will ever point at your brakes approvingly, they're just brakes, and they work quite well.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

i personally would not touch any shimano hydro brake.hassle all the way.a sod to bleed aswel.

Northwind

Good choice, I just said this in another thread but I have the XTs and every time I've used SLX they've annoyed me by being almost identical, but far cheaper.

Big-Bud – Member

"i personally would not touch any shimano hydro brake.hassle all the way. a sod to bleed aswel. "

If you were to touch them, or even actually own them, I reckon you'd find out how wrong you are. My XTs have given a slight niggle when a piston got sticky but have otherwise been perfect, and are very easy to bleed (provided you have the slightest idea what you're doing anyway).

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

You won't go far wrong with them, I have got SLX and XT's and there is little if any difference in power or modulation, however I do prefer the shape of the SLX lever.

no, they are crap to set up and crap to keep set up.

The set I bought from you Tony are still going great and have needed little fettlin' 8)

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

They're shit off brilliant.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I've only got Shimano brakes on my bikes, brilliant, next to zero maintenance and just work.

hora
    Free Member

Noticed the calipers are slightly different from the SLX to the XT's- the XT and XTR's have a slot to allow removal of the pistons for maintenance?

Ah the SLX is a two-piece caliper whereas the XT is one piece hence the access slot for the piston etc.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

gonna be getting me a set as soon as i've got some wonga (and before i head back to the alps in sept…).

hora
    Free Member

Hungry Monkey – £96 posted for the pair- I'd get them now before they sell out.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i've never had to remove the pistons…

once in a while, if i'm bored, i'll take the pads out, pump the lever a few times to pump the pistons out, and dribble a little mineral oil onto the exposed pistons, and push them back in.

i've never needed to do this, it just seems like the right thing to do. except the deore brakes have never recieved this treatment, and they work like new.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Hora- that's just what they cost off ribble.

Northwind

"hora – Member

Noticed the calipers are slightly different from the SLX to the XT's- the XT and XTR's have a slot to allow removal of the pistons for maintenance?"

As I think you figured out, that's a machining hole not for maintenance, monoblock so they machine out the bores then blank off the entrance wound with the cap.

cookeaa

Shit No! You actually went and bought them? everyone who suggested them was just joking! they'll explode and kill you for sure…

hora
    Free Member

Ok main differences:

1. Circa +70gm extra weight of the SLX brakeset
    2. One piece body on XT, two-piece on SLX
    3. Fugly (well uglier) levers on XT
    4. contact pad adjust feature on the XT – apparently you'd be hard pressed to spot the difference (Bikeradar review)
    5. Retention split pin in SLX, bolt in XT.

The decider:
    You get a better bleed circuit* on the SLX and the same power without the pointless bite adjust of the XT.

* Apparently the bleed circuit on the XT is a nightmare to get right/remove the air.

Thats it.

H
    Free Member

Please can you point me in the direction of where you can buy them for £96.

Cheers!

hora
    Free Member

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/mtb-bmx-bike/Disc-Brake-Kits/DIBK

Enter TRIP7 in the coupon section as well.

Remember these are without rotors.

H
    Free Member

Many thanks 🙂

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i'll get them… but i really need some money first!

someone buy my tandem or kona A!!!

poppa
    Free Member

You may find them spongy feeling in comparison to your old ones – this is not a mistake, its the servo-wave doodah and gives you more pad clearance. Learn to love it.

richcc
    Free Member

They're on my commuter because that's the bike I needed brakes for and I couldn't find anything else that was better VFM. Got annoyed by my V brakes so swapped for the SLX discs – more brake than is necessary, oh yes!

2hottie
    Free Member

Love mine, best brakes i've owned as they just work, all the time unlike my old hopes which needed too much tlc. They are more function over form and are alittle bulky but i wouldn't change them now.

slowrider
    Free Member

i hope they are reliable, your brakes seem to get a lot of use! 😛

hora
    Free Member

your brakes seem to get a lot of use!

😆

hora
    Free Member

Why do I still crave the XT's? Is it a case of get the best now or is it a case of its got more features and has a higher model-designation 🙄

johni
    Free Member

I got some SLX 2 months ago. Same as all my other Shimano brakes …. Easy to fit, zero maintenance, easy to swap pads, simple to bleed (I use a syringe and small piece of rubber tube) and plenty of power/no fade.

I've had Hayes, Hope and Avid brakes too and Shimano are reliable and much less hassle.

Grimy
    Free Member

I have the XT versions and I have to tell you, the freestroke adjustment isn't pointless. When you establish how to adjust them correctly they make for a lovely sharp and incredibly powerfull brake. The SLX work fine, but they just dont feel quite as nice to me as the xt with an agressive cam adjustment.

Youll still be happy with the SLX i'm sure.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Just ordered SLX brakes- have I done the right thing?’ is closed to new replies.