Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)
  • Just ordered new iMac :drool:
  • grumm
    Free Member

27" i5 – YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

My gf bought it and she works for a uni so cheap 3 year applecare and a free ipod touch as well as a tasty discount. 😀 😀 😀

Yes mac haters it's still expensive but god damn sexy!!!!!! Can't wait for it to arrive! 😀

jon1973
    Free Member

5…4…3…2….

Harry_the_Spider

1…

Nice.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ignorant not trolling- what is the big deal about it ?

jon1973
    Free Member

It comes with a free apple.

spw3

Theyre great, enjoy.

The new ones are pretty damn fast.

stuey
    Free Member

Does it has a free keyboard for your pet stick insect?

j_me
    Free Member

Well in bike terms its kind of like XTR, with the exception that this kit really does make you go faster.

tails
    Free Member

get the full keyboard not that little spaz one as pictured.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So it is for vain types who value style over substance …I see why ou bought it now 😆
    Seriously anyone? Why dod I ask that on STW IGMC 😯

chorlton
    Free Member

🙂

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

you-will-love-it. never regretted it.

_tom_
    Free Member

How much is the apple student discount, 10%?

tomzo
    Free Member

14-15%

j_me
    Free Member

How much is the apple student discount, 10%?

15% plus apple care for not very much.

grumm
    Free Member

+ £130 rebate on any ipod at the moment 🙂

Junkyard – it's just a very powerful, stylish and pleasant to use computer. If you are nerdy but with pretentions of being cool as well then it's quite exciting. 😀

simonralli2
    Free Member

You also save a huge amount of money on Apple software with the student discount too. 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

AND ITS GOT A **** 27" SCREEN!!!!! THAT'S THE SAME SIZE AS MY TELLY!!!!!! 😛

jon1973
    Free Member

how much did it cost grum?

chewkw
    Free Member

27" is very nice. Huge screen!

I nearly bought one last month but ended up building a PC from scratch instead.
    🙂

p/s: crikey with a i5/i7 plus SSD … that's way over £2k!! 😯

grumm
    Free Member

About 15% less than the prices on the Apple website. 😀

(OK fine it cost £1500)

M6TTF
    Free Member

love mine – only had the cash for the entry level 27" when they first came out, but it's still plenty quick enough

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I've been looking at those for ages…

where do you live? 😀 😛

FuzzyWuzzy

Well in bike terms its kind of like XTR, with the exception that this kit really does make you go faster.

Isn't it more like a Jones spaceframe in bike terms? As in expensive but people that have bought into it rave about the benefits whilst the other 90% of people are happy enough with their faster/cheaper alternative?

shoei
    Free Member

Im very tempted for the 27" iMac if my money comes through.
    Dont play games anymore just do photostuff.

molgrips
    Free Member

with the exception that this kit really does make you go faster.

No it doesn't!

You can't read STW any quicker
    You can't write a document any quicker
    You can't touch up photos any quicker..

It may take slightly less time to open a doc or something but that's a tiny proportion of the time you actually spend on a computer…

For £1500 I could get a seriously kick-ass PC too 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think if you're going to sit in front of something and use it all day, it might as well be aesthetically pleasing. Plus, in incorporates everything you need, in one simple box. The nicest OS to use, and minimum faffage. And in my experience, Apple hardware tends to outlast PC equivalents, not least in terms of how long keep plodding away. I have a 10-year old iMac that still works fine.

That one above has a beautiful screen. The quality is stunning. A separate screen of that quality would set you back loads, before you even bought the computer. Buying separate components of that quality would cost more, not look as good, and have to run Windoze.

For £1500 I could get a seriously kick-ass PC too

Of course. It wouldn't be as nice as that though. 😉

grumm
    Free Member

where do you live?

Not telling!

You can't touch up photos any quicker..

It may take slightly less time to open a doc or something but that's a tiny proportion of the time you actually spend on a computer…

Erm… you can touch up photos quicker than the 3 year old Macbook Pro I am using at the mo – it will also process video import/editing quicker, run more plugins on Ableton Live and Logic, etc etc

If I was just doing email and word processing I wouldn't have bothered getting such a fancy 'puter.

Yes you could get a very good PC for £1500 – but as said factor in the value of the screen and the superb Apple software you get bundled with it and you'll find the cost is very similar. Apple also consistently score very highly in reliability surveys, AND have extremely good resale value. And it wouldn't be anywhere near as nice to use or look at. So ner!

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course. It wouldn't be as nice as that though.

Debatable. But it could definitely do more 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Holy cow. Just looked – 27" Iiyama LCD monitor = £250 on scan.co.uk!

That is cheap.

grumm
    Free Member

But it could definitely do more

Define 'do more'. Play the latest games at the very highest frame rates/settings? Who cares. Or did you just mean get more viruses? 😛

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Define 'more'.

My Mac does Photoshoppery, Illustrator and graphic stuff, video, music, internets, boring Office stuff, photos, Skype, Remote Desktop, DVD authoring, Web Design, calendar and organising and all that, email, games and much more. It could do 3-D and scientific stuff if I wanted it to. Oh and I can look at pictures of naked ladies and videos of dancing cats on it.

What more would I want?

IanMunro
    Free Member

In bike terms it's just like having XTR, but you have to move to Norfolk.

Denis99
    Free Member

grum

You won't be disappointed – I bought a 21" IMac about two months ago – super stuff –

molgrips
    Free Member

Just looked at the pro graphics workstations you can get there for £1700 ex vat.

Hex core 3.2GHz 64 bit cpu, 12Gb ram 😯 no screen tho… I bet that'd handle PS pretty flippin quickly 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Play the latest games at the very highest frame rates/settings? Who cares

ME!

tron
    Free Member

If this were any other bit of expensive kit, the hate on here would be legendary.

See also:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/little-things-in-daily-working-life-that-just-make-your-spirit-sink

grumm
    Free Member
    ART

Funny that, about to order one too – also with the benefit of educational discount and extra apple care (thanks Dad!) 😀 Going for 21inch though cause 27 is just HUGE – and bigger than my telly. Quite excited, had my ibook for nearly 8 years now so I deserve nice new shiny, fast toy.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Holy cow. Just looked – 27" Iiyama LCD monitor = £250 on scan.co.uk!

Trust me, it's not even in the same league as the iMac screen.

I bought a 28" screen for £200. So there!

Yes, you can build a 'better' specced PC for the same money. But then you've got to add and install the OS. Download divers. Get the network/wireless card to work etc. Have fun.

Oh, and don't forget to add on the cost of yer Garageband type music software, photo organiser, DVD authoring software, video editing software etc. Included free on iMac.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘Just ordered new iMac :drool:’ is closed to new replies.