Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Just entered my first ever race at 42 years young.
  • SOAP
    Free Member

It’s a Mini Enduro and have not got a clue what to expect.
    Its a month away are there any skills to practise that would help? Any tips would be much appreciated.

skellnonch
    Free Member

I did my first race about the same age, don’t worry too much about it, just enjoy it

SOAP
    Free Member

Obviously a MINI event is not niche or cool enough for you guys.

Euro
    Free Member

I’ve never raced a mountain bike so can’t offer any practical advice but practicing going really fast might help. 😀

flashes
    Free Member

I raced 2 weekends ago. I’m 55, just ride bikes as much as possible up to about a week before. Eat lots of bananas and do your best……

gears_suck
    Free Member

The clue is in the name. It’s not a race so don’t worry about anyone else. Go out ride for yourself and if you get really tired and want to stop. DON’T. Dig deep and finish is all that matters.
    Edit: Hang on. I just realized you called it a race. I though enduro was a challenge only. Am I wrong? After googles help I guess I am. So just remove the, it’s not a race bit, and the rest still applies

epicyclo

Training is cheating, just like taking drugs.

Or so I tell myself… 🙂

tymbian
    Free Member

Is it the FoD enduro…

Get yerself down for a practice,,

jambalaya
    Free Member

Definitely try and have a look at the course and do some rides of similar length / climbing to get an idea of pacing.

Good luck, I’m hoping to do my first “race” this year, 51 🙂

colournoise

Did my first race (also a mini enduro) in November at the age of 43. Just ride your bike, have a laugh, and don’t worry about where you finish.

tymbian
    Free Member

This forums full of old gits…

As an aside..i started to race BMX in 2009 aged 44,
    Am doing my first enduro in August….’Ardrock..
    Gonna try and get entry to the FoD enduro in April..

eskay

You are never too old! I did a load of racing when I was younger (Juvenile and junior as it used to be called) then a load of TT into my mid 20’s. Had an enforced few years off because of a young family but have started up competing again recently. Have had a bash at track cycling over the last 18 months and done a few track league races. Will do a few crits, TTs, cx and mtb events this year (I am now 41).

Now I am older I just turn up and enjoy myself, I don’t beat myself up if I don’t do as well as I want to. I just enjoy the whole day out. The drive to the event, signing on, getting ready, a bit of a chat with fellow riders, suffering and then reflection of the day.

Don’t get too wrapped up with the event you are doing. Treat at ‘dipping your toes in the water’. Don’t expect too much and you won’t be disapointed. You can assess where you are and where you want to go after you have ridden your first event.

Good luck and come back and tell us how you got on.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Just entered my first ever race at 42 years young.’ is closed to new replies.