Viewing 28 posts - 161 through 188 (of 188 total)
  • Just accquired a Mac
  • binners

Have you tried turning it off, then turning it back on again?

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought Macs didn’t need that?

binners

They don’t. At least they don’t when anyone else other than you is involved

Jus’ ‘sayin

binners

Oh… and you owe Binners IT Support Ltd £300 for that

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok so here’s something. When I use Cmd+Space to bring up the spotlight search thingy for an app, I have to type in exactly the name of the app, do I? In Windows I can type in for example ‘Word’ or ‘Wo’ and it finds Microsoft Word. Seems that in Sierra I have to start typing the exact name i.e. ‘Microsoft Wo’.

That correct?

scrumfled
    Free Member

Nope, molgrips. it does a smart search.

binners

Do you find you have problems with shoe-laces, doors, bottle openers and other non-windows based stuff you encounter Molls? Or is this purely a Mac-related thing? 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

When I type wo I get some folder.. when I type in word I get normal.dotm. That’s *so* intuitive, I wonder why Microsoft haven’t thought of it? 🙂

Sandwich

Here’s what ‘Sherlock’ (for all us older users) gives when I type wo

I’m guessing you’ve remapped your keyboard to give non-standard output.

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course I haven’t. But I don’t get that. Not a problem to type extra – just wondering what its behaviour is meant to be.

Sandwich

Could be that your disk isn’t fully indexed yet if you nuked and re-installed. It can take a few days even with it running with your login-active.

Jamie
    Free Member

Of course I haven’t.

Of course you haven’t what?

Sandwich

As a follow up it can be a bit slow to react while indexing if you’ve lots of music and documents to catalogue.

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe because I haven’t used word much yet?

Sandwich

Unlikely, as I use word very rarely. The last time was over a month ago.

molgrips
    Free Member

So here’s another one. On Windows, if I get a facebook message it pings on all three of my devices (computer and two phones). Then when I respond on one of them for a period of time it only notifies me on the device I’ve actually used to reply.

That doesn’t seem to happen on the Mac? I am getting ping spammed constantly. Something to do with notifications being managed centrally on MacOS perhaps…?

Anyone else get this, or not?

binners

molgrips
    Free Member

You don’t need God to make it stop. You can make it stop. Just don’t open the thread. Do us all a favour.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I think we need a thread where binners is forced to work on a pc for a week! 😆

zilog6128

if I get a facebook message it pings on all three of my devices (computer and two phones)

[quote]That doesn’t seem to happen on the Mac? I am getting ping spammed constantly. [/quote]Weird. The default behaviour should be for it only to notify you on whatever MacOS/iOS device you’re currently using – in your case either your Mac or one of your two iPhones. No idea why that isn’t working properly.

binners

seosamh77
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Weird. The default behaviour should be for it only to notify you on whatever MacOS/iOS device you’re currently using – in your case either your Mac or one of your two iPhones. No idea why that isn’t working properly.

I haven’t got iPhones, they are Android – and I’m not using iMessage either….. This may be the problem I suspect.

binners

molgrips
    Free Member

Fonts still look crap on an HD screen.

binners

binners

molgrips
    Free Member

Not got any colouring in to do?

Or is all that white space in your pics what’s fashionable these days? 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 161 through 188 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘Just accquired a Mac’ is closed to new replies.