Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Jump/street frame as a mini-trail hardtail? Genius or what!?
  • johnny

So, I’m looking at one of These

I’ve got an itch for a silly little jumps/pumps bike. However, I can’t really justify another bike, but my wife’s current bike is a bit XC specific (steep angles, high BB) for when she actually gets on a trail. This is a bit slacker, and as she is 5″3, the geometry would suit her as a mini LT hardtail, set up 1×10 with a 120mm fork. She only really ever rides in the summer, so it would be ideal for pump/BMX tracks, etc for me in the winter…

I reckon with a set of XC wheels for her, and some beefier ones for me, it might just work. Any input anyone?

RobHilton
    Free Member

How stiff are they? I rode a kona stuff for a year & it kicked my ass :mrgreen:

johnny

Good point- they look pretty solidly built… Maybe a nice flexy carbon seatpost for the lady?

endurogangster
    Free Member

Will she be ok single speeding? Looks like horizontal dropouts only? I’ve just looked at something similar, nearly got an xs cotic bfe for wife/play bike, ended up with a kona roast frame off eBay pretty cheap

johnny

Aha, this is a nifty little frame- comes with a slot-in mech hanger to run gears… I like it, bit slacker than most jump bikes and doesn’t weigh as much as a skip lorry.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I still dream of this….

. Used to ride a DJ, always wanted the 4X. The Dj’s loop stays broke, and as it was a gifted frame with faulty clearcoat, there was no warranty.

It was a Medium, running 120mm Recon Airs, 3×9 and mechanical discs. Was pretty good, but did tend to fall over a bit on the climbs.

I also couriered on it, and it was signed by Nicole Cooke. Sigh…

adrec
    Free Member

I’ve got my eye on a sc chameleon with that very idea in mind. She’s about 5,6 so reckon a 16in would be spot on. Cheap set of 100-120 travel forks, my old wheels, 1×8 set up from the parts bin and Roberts your father’s brother. Also means I can justify building another bike without being accused of ‘being silly’

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It’s a great idea. Small frames rock, and girls like riding them because they feel more able to bail and have more appropriate reach.

Also that frame is really nice and will likely appeal to the other half.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I just did the opposite of this… I was offered an extra small BFE which I set up for the pump/BMX tracks.

Has got better tyres on and different chain ring and guide now.

[/url]
    Untitled by passtherizla, on Flickr[/img]

br
    Free Member

Not got a better picture, but my son rides this orange Dr Jekell. Originally it had 24″ and was used for jumps/4X, now set up with 26″ wheels and a 120mm air fork and all light kit.

eltonerino
    Free Member

My wife (5′ 3) has an xs (14″) Kona Shred. With the seat all the way down, it’s like sitting on the rear wheel. It’s 2×8 and not the lightest bike out there, but she loves it. I had it out over Christmas on some of my usual trails, it was harder work on the climbs (I’m 5′ 10″) but so much fun on the downs, drops, jumps and tight twisty bits.

It did remind me that I don’t like the fork on my bike though.

lunge

Don’t do it. I tried it with my wife as I had the same idea, fun bike for me, normal bike for her. Turns out the what she really needed was a light, easy handling xc hardtail to ride around bridle ways and a jump bike with big brakes and heavy tyres (which you say you’ll change when she rides it but you won’t as you will ride it more) isn’t what a girl wants.

In the end I/we ended up with another bike for her and I kept the jump bike. In fact, if you want a Planet X Jack Flash for said jump bike I could be interested in selling.

gonzy
    Free Member

do it. i’ve had a few of those types of frames built with forks ranging from 130 – 150mm and i always loved them. they can be a bit harsh on the body do to the stiffness of the frame but great fun all the same.
    if you’re also planning to use it for all day rides then due to the low standover height of the frame (especially for you), i would suggest getting something like a thomson or blackspire post. anything else will just eventually bend.

rocketman
    Free Member

It can be done. For a couple of years I used a GT Chucker frame as the basis of a mini trail hardtail.

Biggest problem was finding some short-travel trail forks. 100mm DJ forks tend to be blunt instruments and longer forks – even 120 mm – tip the bike back too much, raise the BB and make the already slack seat tube even less pedal-friendly

handyandy
    Free Member

I used a Dr Jekyll as a do it all bike for a couple of years. Not too much of a pain on climbs, then loads of fun on the way down. Only downside is being a 4x frame, the chainstays are incredibly stiff, meaning sore backside is hihgly likely.

lunge

Don’t get me wrong, jump bikes can be great fun on yey trails, I just don’t think they work as a bike that can also be used for bimbling with your wife.

endurogangster
    Free Member

I have a dartmoor phantom 4x frame for sale if you are interested, very light brilliant little frame, only ridden a few time so in great condition, 13″ seat tube which was a bit too small!

http://dartmoor-bikes.com/hardware/frames/phantom

gonzy
    Free Member

I just don’t think they work as a bike that can also be used for bimbling with your wife.

i beg to differ there…it depends on the spec and set up. i had the one below for more than 7 years and loved it.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

This sort of multi function street/trail ‘play bike’ idea was the original concept for the Evil Sovereign, and a job it does very well IMHO. Worth considering.

sazter

My Steel fun HT, got the 16″ version of the fireeye Spitfire frame, am a 5′ 6″ female and LOVE it, use it as a winter trail bike and used to use it for the bmx track until I got my bmx. Hope to use it to jump & play too if I ever got good (brave) enough. Currently 1 x 9 upgrading to 1 x 10 soon as good a good deal on used stuff. Cheap home build and great fun!

sazter
    johnny

Cor, my thread took off!

Some good points/suggestions above. I’ve had a good look at various frames which might do the job, but the Octane one is a) pretty, b) versatile, c) fairly light for a jump frame, and d) shortish in the toptube.

The swapability of the wheels is an issue, but I’ve currently got an NS surge which i swap between a set of pro2-flows and pro2-crests, which is a 10 minute job. I’d like to sell this and build the Octane with her pro2-Olympic wheels, and swap with the flows for more silly riding.

Her current bike, a rock lobster XS frame is ok, but she finds it a bit steep, so this would also have the advantage of making her more confident on the descent, which is what she enjoys… and might help with my hidden agenda of her buying herself her own gravity-oriented bike… 😉

johnny

BTW- Passtherizla- that BFe looks perfect, what chain guide are you running?

xiphon
    Free Member

Have a look at the Trailstar – 16″ perhaps? Top bikes!

jimthelad
    Free Member

Have a look at the Trailstar – 16″ perhaps? Top bikes!

+1 for the Trailstar!

Bought a full build one years ago as a 24″ DJ/street/park bike. Then had it as a trail bike for a while, then a rigid SS, now after a year on the shelf, I have just rustled up enough parts for a 4X bike.

goby

Another +1 for the DMR trailstar or the Sidekick as had both. Moved onto a Dialled Bikes holeshot now. So so much fun! 🙂

honourablegeorge

I had a lovely Intense Tazer for larking about, was ace fun, and great on the pumptrack. But it’s a five mile ride to the pumptrack, and even on the flat, that was murder. Had to sell it. Bought a Soul instead, much better fun. I’d look at a sized down trail bike before a jump bike.

cookeaa

+1 for the trailstar here also, but realistically a “shared” bike never really works.

I have a norco 250 Frame and some other bits I probably want rid of soon if you are building a DJ bike…

nedrapier

Other options in addition to the above:

s/h Dialled Bikes Love/Hate or Holeshot would be good if you can find one?

Or even a Prince Albert. Dialled 4X riders were using them in small before Mike made the Holeshot.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Jump/street frame as a mini-trail hardtail? Genius or what!?’ is closed to new replies.