Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Job Offer ethics
  • samuri
    Free Member

Interesting.

I've accepted a job offer from a company, I'm two weeks into my notice period, and now another company is looking like it's going to make me an offer as well. Possibly. If they do, I guess there's no legal implications of knocking job offer one back but they will be seriously pissed off. Job offer two will certainly be better and I'd rather work for that company. Any moral dilema here? Or should I just laugh and take whichever I prefer.

Bearing in mind, both companies are freaking huge (one is public sector, one is a utility company), no worries of screwing up a little company here (which I'd never do). I'd feel fairly guilty knocking back the first one but I reckon I'd be much happier working for company 2.

NZCol

Who's life is it ?
    Do what you think is best for you, be professional about it but stick firm on your decision. Try not to burn any bridges as you never know whats round the corner but do what you think is best for you.
    Nice position to be in though 😆

epicyclo

If either of those companies suddenly had a directive from upper management to immediately reduce recruitment to cut costs, what do you think they would do?

Just be diplomatic and look after yourself.

igm

Long term it's probably better for both companies that you go to the one you feel more committed to. Of course it's still going to annoy those directly involved in recruiting you (or not) to the other company – and I've been one of those people on occasion.

john_l
    Free Member

Have you signed anything Jon?

thepurist

I've been on the other end of this as the bloke (in a big company) who recruited someone only to have them bail out just before they're due to start. It's a bit bl**dy annoying but I didn't feel the urge to put the guy's name on a black list or send out a hit squad. We did try to find out what the reason they took the other job was, and in that case they came back with a fair excuse and we knew there was no point competing. Do what's best for you!

DrJ

+1 – do what is best for you. As epicyclo said, the company will not be losing sleep about doing what's best for them.

Coyote
    Free Member

I've a fair idea of the companies involved. 😀

You've signed nothing yet, so legally no problem. Morally? Well as I learned recently, employee loyalty is sctrictly a one way street. Neither company would have a moments hesitation if disposing of you was to their benefit. Therefore, do what is best for you and and your family. Also bear in mind that company 2 haven't yet made a concrete offer but when they do you'll know what to do…

stumpyjon

Been in the same situation. I just told employer 1 what was happening, he was pretty good about it. As long as I told them before the Monday I was due to start I wasn't coming he was happy enough. You've got to make the right decision for you. It's your life and there will be little loyalty from either employer in the long run.

stumpyjon

Been in the same situation. I just told employer 1 what was happening, he was pretty good about it. As long as I told them before the Monday I was due to start I wasn't coming he was happy enough. You've got to make the right decision for you. It's your life and there will be little loyalty from either employer in the long run.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yep, pretty much what everybody has said. Take the one you want. But above all, be polite and professional about it. No sense in having anyone thinking you're a cock or anything like that.

And as epicyclo says, whatever job you take, you won't be getting any loyalty from your employer when the shit's raining down.

iDave
    Free Member

Working In The Name………..

samuri
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I guess I knew what the answer was already but just wanted confirmation.

spooky_b329

Just think, there's probably another applicant who's going to get a nice letter in a few days offering them that dream job they though they had missed out on…

Onzadog
    Free Member

No offence, but they'll not lose any sleep over it, they'll just go to the next name on the list.

Look after number 1

Drac

Just remember what attracted you to the public sector and why you wanted out of the private.

Smee
    Free Member

You are making the mistake of thinking that you're important to any of these companies – You're not.

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, I see what you're saying Drac and I'm being very careful. It would be a non-operational role with both companies so the bonkers hours are out the window but the more I hear about working in the public sector, the less I like the idea. I've been told my biggest problem is going to be finding anything to do which is my idea of hell.

Drac

You'll find lots to do but if it costs too much you won't be allowed to do it, if you can sell an idea to save money then they might consider it but it'll them 3 years of meetings to agree to it.

BigJohn

Don't worry. All recruiters (that is HR people and recruitment companies) only regard a job offer as actually confirmed if the person turns in for work on the second day. The drop-out rate between offer acceptance and starting is huge, and I don't know of anybody who has tried to enforce the contract.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Take both jobs.
    try them both out and stick with the one you like.
    It might take a month for the other one to sack you, by which time you've got an extra months wages.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Being honest with yourself, do you definitely think you'll prefer working for the 'new' offer .. it's not just the pay package?

If you are then jump to it..

If on the other hand it really is just the pay then may be worth playing your original offer off against the new one .. be honest .. tell them that they've got competition .. I had a friend who did this and the original 'bettered' the offer.

At the end of the day your preferred option might have a dragon of a boss/***kstain of a collegue. That you'll only learn of 2 weeks down the line.
    I'd go for the money/benefits/hours/commute everytime

Drac

If on the other hand it really is just the pay then may be worth playing your original offer off against the new one .. be honest .. tell them that they've got competition .. I had a friend who did this and the original 'bettered' the offer.

Not going to happen in the public sector.

samuri
    Free Member

I'm taking a pay cut on the public sector job and I'm not moving jobs for the money. I'm assuming the second offer will at least match my existing package but it's not about that. The second offer is coming from a customer who I've known for a long time, I know exactly what I'm getting into there which is why it is more appealling.

Coyote
    Free Member

There is also the fact that the customer thinks very highly of you. Imagine, there may even be a career path!

terrahawk
    Free Member

glad to hear you've got a good one sorted out. Good luck!

Coyote
    Free Member

So, which one did you go for in the end?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Job Offer ethics’ is closed to new replies.