Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tell me about the Turner 5-Spot please
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Confused about the different versions – TNT, DW-link, etc.

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Up to 2005 they used the patented Horst Link (HL) same as Spescialized FSR etc

2006 onwards the pivot got moved from chainstay to seatstay to circumvent expensive HL license fees – TNT link. Effectively the same as HL but with diferent pivot placement.

***TNT INFO HERE***

2009 onwards are DW link. Total resdesign.

heihei

Do a search – have posted a few times on here about the differences of all 3 from a riding perspective. Also check out MTBR forum.

toons
    Free Member

DW link is miles better than TNT/Horst Link.

Trimix
    Free Member

Really toons, how is that achieved then. I am genuinely interested as I may be buying a new bike in x months.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Toons is right you know….

vernon-sez
    Free Member

Don't buy one unless you're prepared to argue that the model YOU have is the best most expensive amazing version in the world

ever.

coogan
    Free Member

2006 onwards the pivot got moved from chainstay to seatstay to circumvent expensive HL license fees

Nope, he was only paying a few dollars per frame. Think it was more to do with an ongoing dispute with Tony Ellsworth.

I'm on DW version now from the HL version I had for 5 years. Both fantastic bikes. Too early to say its a big difference as I've only ridden it once in anger. Back end is certainly stiffer that much I have noticed, not that the HL version was exactly flexy. They are expensive frames, can't argue that one, but I wanted one, could afford one, really liked one when I tested it and thats enough justification for me. Best try and get a test before splashing the cash and make your own mind up.

heihei

Toons is right – I still own a HL version but rode exensively the DW version before buying one, and it's significantly better. A mate of mine has done the same moving from the TNT version to the DW version after riding mine back-to-back.
    Don't get me wrong – the others are good, it's just the DW is a good bit better. All IMHO of course!

firestarter
    Free Member

i have a tnt and its great cant really tell the difference between it and the hl ive ridden but apparently the tnt is stiffer . Dw is meant to be the dogs danglies but not ridden that i dont like the look of it but i would buy one when i need a new one as the ride is more important than looks

vernon-sez
    Free Member

…here they come

😉

shortcut

I am still running a HL version and for my money it is an extremely nice frame and very well made. Everything is very straight and nicely built. Pivots are very reliable and bushings last for ages.

I am not prepared or able to enter into a discussion on which is best having only ridden my own.

The-Beard

I have a TNT 5 Spot which is an awesome bike, it just handles brilliantly. I've got a HL Flux too but there are so many variables between the two bikes I can't really draw andy direct comparison between the two types of linkage. I used to have a DHX Air 5.0 on the spot and I was never really that happy with it, swapped to a RP23 and it's frickin' awesome now. I can't recommend the 5 spot enough.

funkynick

Homer… Homer… Homer… Homer…

Oh, and I love mine… it's a HL, but would be happy with any of them, and would buy another in a shot.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

owned all and now very content with my DW*

*except I am now waiting for a warranty replacement front triangle!

toons
    Free Member

I assume it’s achieved by a better suspension design?

It all depends on how much cash you want to spend? Find a cheap deal on a HL\TNT then bonus; it's still a shit hot bike.

If you can afford the extra money, defo the DW link 5 spot, it’s an amazing bike.

toons
    Free Member

freeform5spot what happened?

freeform5spot
    Free Member

The weld at the top of the gussett between the top and seat tubes failed on both sides.

Closer inspection shows that it was incorrectly done.

Silverfish have been world class at sorting it out! Should be back out on the trails very soon!

coogan
    Free Member

Think that weld is now sealed all the way round on 2010 versions if its the one I'm thinking of. well, mine has the 2010 tweaks anyways!

radoggair
    Free Member

i'm unwilling to comment on their bikes if you realised how many times mine break/ go though bushing kits

If only you had a spare hour to listen !!!!

Shut it duggie styleeeeeeeeeeeeee

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about the Turner 5-Spot please’ is closed to new replies.