Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Job/ new job question
  • nicko74

Not sure quite what response this will get…

[edit] having read it the answer’s kinda obvious, I guess.

I’ve been approached by a big competitor to apply for a job that would be the first person doing my function in their office. The pitch is “you’ll be the first, but give it time, we might let you hire a team…”
    My current job’s in the same area, but doing my nut somewhat (managers, that kind of thing).

I guess the question is: do I go for it? And once you’ve stopped laughing at that one, how about “do I go for it, given that I’m not really fired up about it, and am worried that if I *do* get it I might hate the culture/ crack under the pressure of being the top guy in my function?”

Cougar

Are you happy now? No? Go for it. Yes? Don’t.

Or, go for interview regardless and scope them out, you can always say no if you don’t like the offer.

jota180
    Free Member

As above realy, if you’re not happy now, move as long as the numbers are OK

“you’ll be the first, but give it time, we might let you hire a team…”

Almost certainly BS, it may well happen but I’d wager they don’t have the sign off for it or even the authority to scope it.
    So go, but not on the strength of that statement

blurty

Leaving a job because you dislike it is fair enough, moving to a new job/ company because you can’t think of anything better to do & hate your old job is not a good basis to start a new career I’d say

Sandwich

Some good advice on new jobs by The Register recently.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Job/ new job question’ is closed to new replies.