Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Job interview, what's the word on the streets?
  • aa
    Free Member

Evening stw.
    I’ve an interview for a new job on Tuesday. Obviously I meet the essential criteria, but, i am fairly shite at interviews.
    What snippets of wisdom would anyone like to share? What does the interviewer want to hear?
    One of the questions will be along the line of ‘implementing performqnce management systems and progress against targets’…in real terms..?
    Ta in advance.

TheBrick
    Free Member

What’s your price? Everyone has one.

aa
    Free Member

A couple of quid, or two mars bar duo’s!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go naked. Interviews are better when you’re naked.

aa
    Free Member

one of the interviewers is a died in the wool speedo wearer, the other….well, she does naked sit ups at the top of her stairs.
    Thats a competition i’m never gonna win!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

well, she does naked sit ups at the top of her stairs.

POIDH.

aa
    Free Member

lol. I really hope it’s not true. I’d bleach my eyes first.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Many unsuccessful candidates neglect to hug their interviewer goodbye.

maccruiskeen

The words I most commonly see on the street are

dannybgoode

Start off with the basics – shake hands, make eye contact, wait to be invited to sit down. First impressions really do count for an awful lot.

If you don’t understand a question ask them to repeat and if you don’t know the answer just say so. The interviewer generally will know the answer and will therefore spot any BS!

Maintain eye contact throughout, try and stay relaxed and think of a couple of questions to ask them also.

Finally, do your research on the company if you haven’t already. They may ask what you know about the firm and these days there isn’t an excuse not to know the basics.

Good luck…

Cheers

Danny B

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

You have to look them in the eye and say “Tubal Cain, is there no help for the widows son?”

Instant promotion

aa
    Free Member

you lot, except for danny b goode are not a lot of help.
    Genuine lol at keep claer though! That’s gonna pop up in my head 20minutes into the interview!

rOcKeTdOg

end every answer with

“cheers
    aa”

Tom-B
    Free Member

Punch the largest person in the room immediately upon entering the interview. …companies are crying out for people yhat are assertive. If there is a woman there then you want to at least slap her arse at some point to reinforce the image of you as the alpha male.

Cheers

Danny B

Flaperon

Even if the interview isn’t strictly competency-based, that’s probably the best approach to take since you can combine the bullshit-bingo with examples of when you actually achieved stuff.

But you need to work hard on your examples, practice describing them and think of situations where each one applies.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stay Calm
    Don’t babble
    Listen to the Questions

Run through some examples of things you have done beforehand, but be careful not to shoehorn them into the wrong question.

If you can’t wing something well don’t, it’s outside of what I have done recently but I can pick it up/done similar before.

Have some good questions for them, what is the future plans, how did the role become available etc.

footflaps

Start every answer with “There was this one time at band camp…..”

mrhoppy

Bird is the word.

rickmeister

I dont have anything to do with this lot but the free stuff is a start. Look on the free resources page. If you want any more stuff, pm me…

HTH

http://www.interview-skills.co.uk/default.aspx

ononeorange

Hum in a high-pitch every time the interviewer speaks. Works every time.

freeagent
    Free Member

When you get to the end of the interview, and they ask if you have any questions, ask them –
    “why should I choose to take a job here over any other offers I may have on the table?”

Turns the tables nicely and gets them thinking….

ScotlandTheScared

Always give examples to back up your answers.

Think about the question:
    ‘Why do you want this job?’ its often the first question.

Think about responses to any other questions you reckon you may be asked. Even write down bullet points to help you revise them. However, dont script them – just try and sound natural when giving responses.

Get a friend to ask you those questions and give the responses as you would in the interview. Take such a rehearsal seriously and stay ‘in the zone’ during it.

In the interview, take deep breaths before you go in. Relax and smile -this will help you come over better.

Good luck.

mikertroid
    Free Member

All sound advice ^^^^

I’ve been in shed loads of interviews over the last 18 months. If they ask competency based qs then approach your answer in the STAR format:

S – Situation (brief description/introduce the scene)
    T – Task (describe what you had to do)
    A – Action (describe how you achieved task)
    R – Review ( was it a success? What would you change for next time)

Be prepared to be asked about your weaknesses. Fading foreign languages, music skills and a tendency to concentrate on professional topics rather than cultural ones are mine. I don’t think those weaknesses are likely to crash the interview.

Also, and I think this is really important; it’s an opportunity for you to research the role further and discuss pay. I’ve been to a couple of interviews out of morbid curiosity only to find the job is better than expected and accepting the offer.

Good luck. I quite enjoy them now!!

robgclarkson
    Free Member

make sure you wear a bluetooth headset throughout the interview, it’ll make you look very important and the kind of guy everyone wants to have on their team

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

All sound advice ^^^^

😯

therealhoops
    Free Member

NOT SAFE FOR WORK

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4rSZP0nNCc[/video]

monkey_boy
    Free Member

i had my first interview in over 10 years at the start of the month, my god how they have changed.

mine was a ‘Competency based’ interview, luckily the wife prepared me, have a read of this…

S.T.A.R

It’s sounds a load of b*lox but i wrote down 5 examples of answers to various questions, such as “give an example of when you were stressed” – “give an example of when you were part of a team”

i actually got the job and they said they were impressed, so i guessed it worked.

good luck

rickmeister

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O6bWb7oEuE[/video]

mikertroid
    Free Member

CFH.

Every last word. 😉

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Job interview, what's the word on the streets?’ is closed to new replies.