Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Job Finding – How do you……
  • speaker2animals

…. persuade employers that the fact you earned £xK 12 months ago is no longer really relevant to someone who has been unemployed for 12 months. Especially in the current (and soon to be worse) job climate.

I appreciate there is the fear that you might nick off as soon as you find a job that offers more, but really if that was a realistic possibility why would I have been out of work 12 months and applying for jobs at half that salary?

Frustrated, sorry.

br
    Free Member

Been there, and don't know the answer.

Even when I tell them that you can afford to work for less, as when I earnt 'big' money we paid everything off.

Also most Managers don't want more experienced staff working for them – they see it as a big threat, and so do their bosses.

speaker2animals

Ah – I must admit I never thought about the fear of being shown up by new staff. I've always assumed, as I said, that other than places that expect high turnover of staff employers are worried that they will set you on and then you leave in 3 months for a better paid position.

Spose I just keep plugging. As said – just VERY frustrating.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    uplink
    Free Member

Just lie

The people doing the interview are unlikely to ever see your P45

If they do find out, you're in no worse a situation than if you didn't get the offer

speaker2animals

Except that then perhaps you have had a job offer taken away from you? I'm afraid that my self esteem is rocky enough as it is. And if they did let you take the job knowing you lied how do you think that they would treat you?

Admittedly I know that there are people and jobs where being a lying git is viewed as being something to be admired/desired, but I'm afraid I'm not that type of person or want to work in that type of position. Maybe that's why I'm not an M.P. (and possibly/probably why I've been out of work for 12 months).

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

I've just accepted a job paying 45% less than before, in a field i've never worked in before, just so i have a job. The company are very excited to have someone with my IT skills coming on board.
    They are paying me the trainee rate because I know nothing about the role. If (read when) they start tapping into my IT skills, do I storm the boss's office and ask for more money as i'm not a trainee when it comes to IT!

I'm bored of applying for jobs that would have been split between 2/3 people a couple of years ago and yet they are offering 70% of what one of those roles would have paid back then.
    Like the OP, trying to explain you know the market it shot to peices and you're willing to give 100% even at the reduced pay rate to each and every Agent is soul destroying.

tron
    Free Member

Ring up your references, and explain the situation. Massage your old job title into something a little less threating. No need to lie, just use a less grandiose title than your old one.

speaker2animals

Thanks Tron – my last title isn't very intimidating at all. I am trying to explain to potential employers the situation. That was the point of my OP. It's how you explain to them and convince them. It ain't easy.

BigJohn

Just don't put your salary on the CV or the application. They'll just assume you're earning the going rate.

Unless you're applying for a job with the same salary as the old one. Remember the most important qualification for a highly paid job is to have had a highly paid job.

tron
    Free Member

Can you not tone the CV down a bit? Normally it's all about pumping things up – negotiated this, managed that. Arranged and co-ordinated would normally be weaker ways of saying these things.

thomthumb
    Free Member

saw a similar cv recently;

6 lines on the 60k salary job.

3 paragraphs on the £10 a day driving job.

just edit the CV to suit the application as you would with any job – but this time it's about playing down things not making a song and dance of it.

Edit; beaten by tron.

tails
    Free Member

I feel for you mate, I was unemployed for less than half that an the c**ts and they are c**ts who employ people really frustrate people, my number one pet hate is not even a no it takes 2 seconds to click reply and say no thanks. If you want someone to look at your CV feel free to email me Ands43 @ hotmail .com I can't say I'm the best at writing them but I'm okay at presenting them.

Couple of CV things you may not have done is change the font from Times new roman, as at least it shows you have thought and think about the presentation, one double sided A4 as opposed to a 2 stapled pieces. If you have access to a layout tool (adobe indesign) try that.

What field do you work in?

tails
    Free Member

Also try a wanted add in the classifieds I did and got a reply!!

tron
    Free Member

the c**ts and they are c**ts

I can vouch for that. Got all the way through the recruitment process for a grad trainee job at a smallish firm and somewhat inexplicably, got a letter saying I wasn't being offered a job. Couldn't work out what had happened, until I saw the same firm advertising what sounded very much like the same role, but this time wanting a grad from another discipline. Nice one! 😆

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I'm very glad to have read this – I've been having exactly the same trouble, particularly persuading people in unrelated fields to my experience.

I'm perfectly happy to work for less money, because I recognise that the my of my key experience is utterly shagged, and I don't fancy going back to it anyway.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

What sort of jobs are you looking for?

It makes a difference to how to apply. I was in your position for a few months last year and even in that short time I did a lot of reassessing of what I needed and what I wanted

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Job Finding – How do you……’ is closed to new replies.