Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Jesus help me….what lawnmower?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I had planned not to make this purchase before 40. So it's a big fat FAIL on that front.

A few grand and a great landscape dude later, I'm left with a lawn to look after. It's only ickle (about 600 sq ft) but it's new turf…on top of, for some bizarre reason, soil that the gardener said people would kill for. I've been diligently watering it everyday so any day now, it's going to take off big style.

I was thinking about one of those WORX jobbies…thought they might be a gimmick but after checking reviews, they actually seem quite good. I'm thinking petrol is overkill for this size lawn, yes?

iDave
    Free Member

get one with a roller, then you can be obsessive about the stripes and even makes some argyl style diamonds…… apparently 😯

Stoner
    Free Member

I thought those worx ones looked a bit "homebase" too. Im prepared to be surprised though.

My lawn is about 600' too and I just use a cheap crappy electric. In fact Ive just been out to do mine. It struggles at the beginning of the season when long and wet but I dont think the lawn requires much spent on it.

At the barn, though there's going to be a whole lot bigger lawn, plus a paddock/orchard that probably wont be stocked so Im going to splash out on a Mountfield 20" or something.

trailmonkey

sorry dd, i've had to stop myself from composing an answer.

spending time on threads like this are only ever a confirmation that i've reached a sorry state of middle aged banality and the long lingering slide into senility approaches

😉

. In fact Ive just been out to do mine

At 9am 😯

Bet the neighbours love you stoner 😆

crispybacon
    Free Member

get yourself one of these it mows & fertilizes at the same time – jobs a good 'un 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We've used the same Honda mower here for twenty years.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I thought those worx ones looked a bit "homebase" too. Im prepared to be surprised though.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. And though I may want a Qualcast or a Mountfield, I fully appreciate that I don't need one.

I checked reviews and was expecting to see it was a gimmicky piece of shite, but it seems like WORX is good kit. I have also heard good things about their tools too. Their price points certainly put them in competition with some pretty powerful brands. It's not a market with a great deal of room for newcomers.

Welcome back Stoner…sorry to hear you've not been well. Have you been away or just not bothering? 🙂

RoterStern
    Free Member

How about one of these?

redthunder
    Free Member

Job Done…

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Honda izy range would get my vote. They do some fairly wee ones.

Electric mowers are shit.

trout
    Free Member

What about a mulching lawn mower then you dont have to dispose of the clippings and supposed to be good for the lawn

But I know nowt and was considering one when mine packs up

DickBarton

What kind of grass do you want? And what do you want it to be used for? If it's for show it'll need to be short and prestine – something with a roller and a close cut would be handy – but requires regular grass cutting – up to twice a week! Petrol mowers tend to give a more consistent cut so if you have patchy grass or thick and thin bits over the area petrol can be useful for making sure the cut is even.

Stripes get done with a roller but if you miss judge a stripe you will be there for hours getting them just so.

Electric mowers are fine but if you have a large lawn you could burn the motor out – I did on our but I was cutting it twice weekly and suspect it was just over use!!!

Flymo do a good range of petrol mowers with few 'options' other than grass cut height but they are good…from what I've 'ahem' read a Briggs & Stanton petrol engine is the one to go for…so anything with one of those is likely to be fine – if you go for petrol.

Sit-on or push? Your choice but you'd need a large area to justify a sit-on and drive beast (but personally I'd love one!)

redthunder
    Free Member

Essential kit for tackling that 600sqf lawn…. 😉 [pic yesterday]

Stoner
    Free Member

My mower makes little more noise than the wife's hairdryer. In fact I reckon that might be better at the job.

DD – been really busy at the barn and TBH just not been bothering much – when you read a thread title and know exactly who will say what on it you know your cynicism requires a time out. TJ is still being an arse on any thread he fancies sticking he thinks he's overqualified to comment on. Although now Rudetw at has been told to sod off again I may return more often 🙂

martinh
    Free Member

600 sqft does not require anything powered so I'd suggest a Brill RazorCut 38cm.

If you really do feel the urge for power get electric not petrol. Much better for the environment. Less noise, less polution. If I had a garden that needed it I'd get a LiOn battery powered one

redthunder
    Free Member

Get a push along one.

tron
    Free Member

Get a couple of sheep.

fergusd

Buy a petrol, electric mowers are underpowered, Honda Izy, had one for years, starts first time every time, cuts anything, avoid a barrel mower unless you desperately want one, they are a load of hassle and have high running costs if you want them to be in good running order.

ski
    Free Member

If you do go down the Electric route…

Worth checking outthe Bosch Rotak 40 Lawnmower.

Looks cheap, but dont let that put you off, gives an amazing cut for the money, gives a beter lawn finish than my Petrol Honda!

Very light, cuts very close to edges too.

Grimy
    Free Member

I'm with ski on the bosch rotack 40 if you decide on electric.

supercyril
    Free Member

Dont bother with a mulcher. It will leave your lawn looking like a school playing field.i have had enough of mine so i have just bought a 'Hayter Spirit 41cm Petrol Push Roller Mower' from amazon. It works a treat.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ransomes Matador. I bought one of these at a council end of year sale. It needed a grass box. I phoned the agent. 'Yes we can get you one, are you sitting down' 'Why?' 'Its £400' 'How much is the mower?' '£3500' 'Yikes I only paid £40 for it – I'll make a box' They are hugely powerful and do a great job if bowling green stipes are your thang.

If mower racing isnt your thing how about a long distance enduro?

http://74.125.67.100/imgres?imgurl=http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46391000/jpg/_46391229_operation_matador_203_203x152-1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/suffolk/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8259000/8259841.stm&usg=__Nmvxo2ZTWpeEB7a4ktX05N0z920=&h=170&w=226&sz=13&hl=en&start=19&itbs=1&tbnid=G_KAb0-cSWWcZM:&tbnh=81&tbnw=108&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dransomes%2Bmatador%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1

iDave
    Free Member

Coyote
    Free Member

We've got two rabbits. I've not needed to mow the lawn in two years! 8)

On the flip side, they've eaten everything else too…

zaskar
    Free Member

Hasn't Argos a sale for cheap lawnmowers?

flip
    Free Member

Honda every time 😉

tron
    Free Member

Actually, in all seriousness, if they work and you have the cash, get one of those electric robot lawnmowers. Life is far too short to spend your Saturdays with a flymo.

PePPeR

I just managed to pick up a second hand Honda Lawnmower, its a little large 26" cut but for £100 I was over the moon!

rusky
    Free Member

Get some chickens, no need to buy eggs or cut the grass!

ski
    Free Member

rusky – Member

Get some chickens, no need to buy eggs or cut the grass!

Then you can shoot the foxes that come in to visit 😉

SuperScale20
    Free Member

We use a a moungfield petrol never misses a beat and takes about 30mins for a 120 foot garden, previously took 3 hours with an electric qualcast. If your grass is flat go with rotary If not then use a cylinder, I would say the only problem with petrol is that you have to maintain them.

Northwind

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That's what I want! A Fendt with a mower on the back! (mind you I'd have to knock next doors house down to get it down the drive.)

-m-
    Free Member

Petrol mowers are great for convenience, particularly if you've got a big area to mow where electric cables are a problem. The Honda ones are superb, but I used a cheap plastic one with a Briggs & Stratton motor that I bought 2nd hand for £30 for 3 years without any problems. Note that with a petrol mower you'll probably need to store it horizontal to stop fluids ending up in the wrong places.

However, as commented above, electric is more 'green', although maybe not if it has a Li-Ion battery pack 😀 Clearly you can store these at any angle.

We now have two Qualcast Panther 30 push mowers – one at home for our modest lawn, and one at the allotment. Although they're probably not the best quality push mowers they are cheap (£35ish new, plenty on eBay that have only been used a couple of times) and work fine. It also takes up minimal space in the shed/gareage. To be honest mowing with one of these doesn't take much longer than a powered mower for a small lawn, and there's no issue with petrol/power cables etc.

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

All suggestions above aside, how about this: Jet powered ride-on lawnmower

Bit more power! Nice eBay purchase that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone – though I think some of them were a little tongue in cheek 🙂
    I think given that I have very little room for storage, it's going to haver to be an electric jobbie.

A trip to B&Q I reckon – their prices are the same as anyone elses by the looks of it.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Jesus help me….what lawnmower?’ is closed to new replies.