Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Jeepers – I think we've just been hit by a mini tornado (Chester area)
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Been out for a couple of hours and come back to something verging on carnage at Sharkbait towers!

As its dark the damage that I can see so far is:

Half the tree at the end of our drive has been ripped off, literally thrown over a 5m high stable block (removing plenty of slates and ridge tiles) and has landed 75m away in the chicken pen.
    Three 10m pine trees have been snapped in half,
    One 10m high tree has been pushed over, the chicken house has been chucked 10m landing upside down with the roof off
    8m of post and rail fence has been blown flat
    One perspex panel in the corrugated barn roof has been blown in
    Numerous tiles blown off the house.
    4m long Laser dinghy (already broken) that was covering 3 crates of logs has disappeared and is no longer on our property – so it’s gone at least 200m.
    One chicken missing and the others are decidedly piffed off 🙁
    Will wait until tomorrow to see if the solar PV is still working as the big branch that went over the stable was inches away from one end of the panels.

But the trampoline is where we left it (75m from the path of the damage) which makes me think it really was a mini tornado with a narrow footprint.

Will post pics in the morning.

😯

Three_Fish
    Free Member

But the trampoline is where we left it…

Count yourself lucky…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRIaKMdO-Vw[/video]

JohnnyPanic

Hulk smash.

metruscan
    Free Member

Gulp! Other side of Cheshire here, and looking out of all the windows in turn. Hope you get tidied up ok.

project
    Free Member

driving out of chester today saltney to blacon,this morning cwac offices had 2 cherry pickers washing all the windows of the fish tank,tonight drove back, most horrendous torrents of rain and wind, lots of flooding on nicholas street, road turned into a river, also down Parkgate road, and loads of students dont seem to own a jacket,or could shelter from the rain.Massively high winds etc.

But at least the streets got a good wash.
    sharkbait which part of chester where you in.

Worst wether ive seen for a long time in chester, but reasonably normal on the wirral.

sharkbait
    Free Member

In between Tarvin and Waverton. Seems we got hit at about 4:00pm

CountZero

Certainly the right sort of conditions for spawning tornados all over the place, just small F1/2’s, but they’ll do a lot of local damage. Hope most of yours is easily put right.

Russell96

Had a pile of thunder/lightening about that time over in the Quay about 8 miles down the road. Wasn’t there a report of a mini tornado in Wrexham about a week ago?

Trampus
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/77816593[/video]

matther01
    Free Member

Nice veranda.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

That sounds devastating.

Still, on the plus side…..

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yep a bit more wood for the pile which is always a good thing, but holes in the stable block are not.

Missing chicken has reappeared and I’ve rebuilt their enclosure and hopefully got roofing guy coming over tomorrow. Neighbours have plenty of damage too.
    Oh and it WAS a tornado – I’ve found a 6′ hole in our hedge along the road and a corresponding hole in the hedge of the other side of the road….. this is where it came in!

TBH although I’m disappointed I missed it, if it had been 100m to the right it would have hit the house and I can only guess what damage it would have done.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

TBH although I’m disappointed I missed it, if it had been 100m to the right it would have hit the house and I can only guess what damage it would have done.

One man’s disappointment is another man’s relief.

CountZero

I’ll bet the errant chicken is now regaling a rapt audience with how it suddenly found itself lofted into the air and dumped half-a-mile away, and had to walk home!
    Sounds like you had a very lucky escape there, sharkbait; a few lost tiles are a pain, an entire lost roof a whole other issue. Big sigh of relief all round your household today, I’m sure.

project
    Free Member

Oh and it WAS a tornado – I’ve found a 6′ hole in our hedge along the road and a corresponding hole in the hedge of the other side of the road….. this is where it came in!

It may have been caused by the chicken,being propeled at a huge speed of knots by the wind.

matt_outandabout

mcmoonter. The silver lining.

maxtorque

Check carefully it’s actually your chicken, and not the wicked witch in disguise!

(tune in for more helpful weather advice tomorrow…. 😉

graham83
    Free Member

Hi there a fellow worker and I witnessed this tornado and have A few pictures of it, couldn’t believe what was happening it seemed to last for 3 mins we watched it touch down about 1/4 of a mile away we could see it lifting all sorts of in the air

cardo

Not Cheshire and the chickens might of had a longer walk home ! [video]http://youtu.be/skrnDGl1LxQ[/video]

sharkbait
    Free Member

Hi there a fellow worker and I witnessed this tornado and have A few pictures of it, couldn’t believe what was happening it seemed to last for 3 mins we watched it touch down about 1/4 of a mile away we could see it lifting all sorts of in the air

Really? would be interesting to see if possible – The Chronicle would have loved one of them too! Finally getting the loss adjusters round tomorrow morning (useless insurance company content)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Jeepers – I think we've just been hit by a mini tornado (Chester area)’ is closed to new replies.