Stupidity causes A road pile up

Home Forum Chat Forum Stupidity causes A road pile up

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Stupidity causes A road pile up
  • Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

Since when was the A249 a motorway? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

Since when was leaving Sheppey stupid?

Since when haven’t cyclists crashed?

highclimber

Since when did the forum contributors get so pedantic?

Premier Icon Haze
    Subscriber

Assume this was people trying to get away from Sheppey?

qwerty
    nwgiles

highclimber – Member
    You never see cyclists crashing like this!

well you do see a few big ones on the Tour de France, however they usually manage to clear the backlog in about 3 minutes as opposed to the “motorway” will now be closed for the next few hours

Premier Icon Speshpaul
    Subscriber

well it wasn’t foggy yesterday! i wasn’t informed of the change!
    its clearly some elses fault!

mrmo

i assume all the drivers will be arrested and charged with Dangerous/Careless driving?

Afterall running into the back of a stationary car does suggest someone isn’t driving to the conditions?

I also assume all the drivers involved will have to cover the costs of their gross stupidity?

….

highclimber

I think there must be some kind of crowd psychology that makes people bunch together not wanting to upset the flow by going slower than all the others around you.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

When is stupidity NOT involved in car accidents?

Premier Icon mintimperial
    Subscriber

it wasn’t foggy yesterday! i wasn’t informed of the change!
    its clearly some elses fault!

Bloody fog! Doesn’t pay road tax, isn’t licensed or insured, and what’s more you can’t even hit it with your car when you get angry! Something must be done! Ban fog, or at least restrict it to special purpose built fog-paths where it can go about it’s annoying foggy business without getting in the way of important motorists on their way to… whatever it is that people on Sheppey do with their time, God knows.

mrmo

tyre blow out, car fire….

ok not very often!

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

mrmo wrote:

i assume all the drivers will be arrested and charged with Dangerous/Careless driving?
    Afterall running into the back of a stationary car does suggest someone isn’t driving to the conditions?

What about the ones that stopped OK but got run in to?

highclimber

I suppose there’s gonna be a huge number of ‘whiplash’ claims!

If you follow the BBC links, there was a big thing in 2006 about the bridge not being safe enough – with no hard shoulder and inadequate lighting. While I think if you’re driving in a pea soup, you need to be at crawling speed, I also think someone’s going to get it in the neck about this (and someone else will make some political capital out of it).

mrmo

What about the ones that stopped OK but got run in to?

True there might be one or two innocents caught up, i am sure the police investigation will result in the innocent drivers being released.

Oh that will be everyone, because it was an accident and accidents just happen!!!!

clubber

highclimber – Member
    You never see cyclists crashing like this!

I rear-ended an ex-gf once ๐Ÿ˜‰

She’d stopped at a zebra crossing and I hadn’t noticed. The bikes were ok but a helmet got broken…

mrmo

If you follow the BBC links, there was a big thing in 2006 about the bridge not being safe enough – with no hard shoulder and inadequate lighting. While I think if you’re driving in a pea soup, you need to be at crawling speed, I also think someone’s going to get it in the neck about this (and someone else will make some political capital out of it).

To a point the design might be crap,I believe the M40? is also a known fog trap, but not sure lighting is really any help in dense fog. Having somewhere to go if you see a crash infront, such as a hard shoulder might reduce the number of cars getting caught up, but in this case i suspect the crash would just be wider and no real difference.

All you can do is slow down, and if visibility is c20m as claimed then you have to drive at barely more than walking pace.

Nico

The Sheppey crossing is like a roller coaster with a big and rapid climb. If you look at some of the photos the top of the bridge is in fog (clouds) while the approach is clear. This won’t necessarily be obvious when driving in a queue and concentrating on the cars immediately in front. Obviously if you leave the recommended gap between cars then you have time to slow down or stop but you’d be the only car in the whole of the UK sticking to the recommendations.

Premier Icon maxray
    Subscriber

I rear-ended an ex-gf once

๐Ÿ˜ฏ

highclimber

The AA have claimed that stupidity was probably the cause of the accident on Sheppy. Frankly I agree. You never see cyclists crashing like this!

a helmet got broken

Try explaining THAT to your GP ๐Ÿ˜†

clubber

๐Ÿ˜‰

fasthaggis

I bet the Zebra got a fright ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

fasthaggis

On a more serious note,more and more drivers seem to ignore safe driving distances,regardless of road conditions.Sadly no surprise that something like that pile up happened.

glupton1976

This – exactly this.

This won’t necessarily be obvious when driving in a queue and concentrating on the cars immediately in front.

The idea that the roads are full of people concentrating on the car in front scares me. Doesn’t surprise me, and it certainly explains a lot, but it scares me a lot. For **** sake look about half a mile further up the road than the car in front and you’ll see things coming….

clubber

The ex fell on the zebra and that was where the helmet got smashed…

tonyd

Hang on, it’s Thursday. Isn’t that giro day? Are they sure it was fog and not just the entire population of Sheppey simultaneously lighting up a B&H?

If the only car you are concentrating on is the one in front then you are far far too close to it. You should be able to see what’s going on in all lanes and for a good distance in front too IMHO.

Premier Icon dannybgoode
    Subscriber

It stuns and terrifies me the number of drivers who do not turn lights on in fog – particularly fog lights.

Fog lights make a massive difference to being able to see other vehicles and 99% of drivers I seen navigating fog seem oblivious to the fact that rear ones at least are fitted to all cars.

IanW

People are getting stupider, the proportion who spend there time in tin cans are the bottom of end of the scale.

Olly

It stuns and terrifies me the number of drivers who do not turn lights on in fog – particularly fog lights.

What fog? the fog today (we had some down these parts too) was the first fog I have seen in at least 5 years, probably more like 10. Mist is not Fog. (neither is rain, snow or a light breeze)

Mist, rain and snow are headlights materials, putting a pool of light in front of the car, and creating some inoffensive illumination for other road users.

The way fog hangs just above the road (proper actual real fog this is) means that head lights reflect back off the fog, creating more of a white out effect for the driver, and providing little to no illumination for other road users.

Fog lights are at the bottom of the bumper where they can project beneath the fog, preventing reflective glare, and remaining visible for other road users.

it stuns and terrifies me the number of drivers who use head lights and fog lights at the same time, showing a complete missing of the point.

Can you tell this makes me grumpy?

jag61

it is something that happens at the first sign of fog every year since I can remember Good (lucky) that no deaths. Had a thought 2 days ago that it was the season for this ๐Ÿ™

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Stupidity causes A road pile up’ is closed to new replies.