• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ski.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Japanese Whiskey – worth a go for a Christmas tipple?
  • the-muffin-man

I thinking of the Yamazaki one you can get in Sainsburys as I have £35 worth of Nectar points to spend! 😀

I don’t drink a lot of whisky and prefer the lighter malts to the peaty ones.

Cougar

I would. You won’t go far wrong, they do some good stuff (I don’t think I’ve had a bad one of theirs).

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, although the source and distribution to manufacture and return back to this country is a bit much, more carbon miles in this than your “local” Scottish Brand.

chakaping
    Free Member

I really liked the bottle I had, it was fairly heavy but not peaty IIRC.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Yes, although the source and distribution to manufacture and return back to this country is a bit much, more carbon miles in this than your “local” Scottish Brand.

Not least because some of them use Scotch as a base…. (https://www.whiskynotes.be/2011/japan-whisky/nikka-pure-malt-white/)

A lot of it seems to be very overpriced by the time it gets to us. French and Spanish supermarkets are my source of cheap Whiskey – which brands are treated as ‘premium’ seems to vary as you travel..

teacake
    Free Member

I tried a Yamazaki 12 last week on our works night out (we’re a scotch distillery company) and I really liked it. Not the most amazing I have tried but subtle and a nice amount of different flavours to discover. Water made a big difference.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above, Yamazaki 12.

Lovely stuff.

ocrider

My mother in law stayed with us last Xmas and gave me a bottle of Nikka from the barrel (which was really nice). This year my sister is visiting and I’ve got no decent whisky/whiskey left 😥

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Stick to the original – if it ain’t broke

Bottle of Macallan for same price on their website.

prawny

Kuco

I must be one of the odd ones out as I’ve had the Yamazaki and wasn’t keen on it. But give it a go you might like it.

prawny

If we’re just talking non snobby christmas drinking whisky, I’d recommend Highland Earl from Aldi, its really not bad at all.

prettygreenparrot

I bought some for a friend a couple of years back. Eventually met up and got a snifter. Well worth a go.

dantsw13

My drink shelf is stuffed full of Japanese whisky. Love the stuff.

mrmoofo

Hibiki 17 year old is lovely ….

dantsw13

…….. and is £117!!

mooman
    Free Member

Nikka miyagikyo worth a try too; very nice

ade9933
    Free Member

Can’t be that good. They sent it in to outer space!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Eventually met up and got a snifter

Euphemism?

dantsw13

The good Japanese whisky in almost impossible to get hold of now, even in my favourite Tokyo liquor store. My bottle of Nikka Taketsuru 21 y/o is nearly gone – I paid £28 on a duty free special 2 years ago. Now I can’t find it anywhere in Japan, and its £300 online here 😯

ski
    Free Member

You can pick up the Nikka blended range for not much, it’s very good

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Japanese Whiskey – worth a go for a Christmas tipple?’ is closed to new replies.