Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Jacobs Ladder Climb
  • Diane
    Free Member

Well i managed it on a hike around the Peaks yesterday on foot but surely no one can really do it on a bike!? That's just mad!

highclimber
    Free Member

hence the lore that you get put on a wall of fame at STW (or MBR) HQ if you can prove you did!

elaineanne
    Free Member

your not aloud to put a foot down either apparently or it doesnt count that you've completed the ride ? as if… 👿 😆

elaineanne
    Free Member

oh ps any pics Diane ?

Diane
    Free Member

No sorry Elaine – probably wouldn't have shown in correct light though

flyingmonkeycorps

Climbing Jacobs is doing it the wrong way on a bike anyway 😉 Photo from the top:

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

One of our group has done it….he's a proper irritant,but he can ride a bike better than most. The swine!

DavidB
    Free Member

You know how roadies have the annual National Hill Climb competition at the end of the season..well MTBers should do the same thing kicking off with Jacobs Ladder

JohnnyPanic

well MTBers should do the same thing kicking off with Jacobs Ladder

Nah – Bamford Hill Climb 🙂

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

You know how roadies have the annual National Hill Climb competition at the end of the season..well MTBers should do the same thing kicking off with Jacobs Ladder

No can do – racing on a bridleway is illegal…

giantjason
    Free Member

i went down Jacobs Ladder several months ago and thought it was a real blast.

however i dont believe anyone could get up it without having to put a foot down. it looked as if some of the steps would have been impossible to get up.

iain1775
    Free Member

I did it last night

….unfortunately I was asleep at the time

beefy

Nick craig?

docrobster
    Free Member

Most times I'm there I meet someone who reckons they know someone who knows someone who has done it.
    Often the name Tim Gould is mentioned.

nbt

Zulu-Eleven – Member
    No can do – racing on a bridleway is illegal…

True, but a timed challenge is not a race.

hora
    Free Member

You'd need someone ahead holding both the gates open though wouldn't you?

Better coming down it IMO- the walkers always give you nice comments 😀

JonEdwards
    Free Member

A couple of years back either MBR or WMB did an article on riding up it – Nick Craig, a guy from Hope, a Journo, and my mate Martin (rides for yeti). I think they all cleared it a couple of times, and Martin was going for a middle ring attempt – think he got within a couple of feet of the top.

It's doable. You just have to be GOOD

As others have said – I prefer riding up the other side, which is longer but not as steep, then hammering down the Ladder.

warton
    Free Member

A couple of years back either MBR or WMB did an article on riding up it – Nick Craig, a guy from Hope, a Journo, and my mate Martin (rides for yeti). I think they all cleared it a couple of times

In the article no-one cleared it dab free. They sessioned each bit, and cleared each individual bit, but no one actually cleared it (thats what the article said anyway)

LoveTubs
    Free Member

It's a 'tick' I'd like to collect, but it'd mean going out specifically to (dare I say it)train on it…which would be a tad boring ang against that freedom thing of 'let's ride,….man' 🙂

Willie-hangon
    Free Member

It has been done by a local lad Scott Rowland on two occasions, the second with the gates held open for him. The following month there was a feature in one of the mags which suggested Nick Craig had done it. Few years ago now mind and its dug out a bit in places since.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

I did push up it (via the path) recently as part of an anit-clockwise Hayfield Mega-Orbital. It was over quickly and sets you up for the descent to Kinder res. and crossing of Middle Moor :))))))))

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

at what point does it actually start?? some one show me the start point of the jacobs ladder climb, as when ive ridden down it, i thought it looked absolutley impossible to get up riding 🙁

hats off to any one that has done it from the point where im on about though (if that is the where it starts)

crazy-legs

A couple of years back either MBR or WMB did an article on riding up it – Nick Craig, a guy from Hope, a Journo, and my mate Martin (rides for yeti). I think they all cleared it a couple of times, and Martin was going for a middle ring attempt – think he got within a couple of feet of the top.

I was there at that photoshoot. The rules were set out – no dabs, no holding onto walls etc. Trackstanding was allowed to check out lines/rest etc. Gates were held open. The riders were observed at all parts of the climb.
    Martin cleared it on his Felt hardtail – I have to say he's one of the best and smoothest riders I've ever seen.
    Nick Craig cleared it but it took a couple of attempts. He was on a Scott Spark. Paul Oldham didn't make it (although he did far better than most folk ever do).

Afer the challenge bit was done, they spent the rest of the time shooting different sections for the article.

It's worth pointing out that Nick hadn't cleared it in one go for the last 10 years and he hasn't done it since. Conditions on the day were perfect. Jacob's Ladder is one of the few proper legendary climbs in MTBing and it can be done by the very best, the problem is that lots of people claim to have done it or "know someone who has". Anyone claiming to have done it without a healthy racing history at Elite level is probably lying!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Jacobs Ladder itself is the footpath, though that magazine article appeared to be on the Bridleway. I don't believe anyone has cleared the bridleway, I'm sure there are better riders than me that have tried, but I'm pretty decent yet a million miles off being able to get up quite a few bits of it. The idea that the mag completed it in bits but rode it all doesn't stack up as there aren't many places where you can easily start pedalling again once you've stopped.

That's my opinion, so don't have a go like.

crazy-legs

Start point
    Track climbs off to the left then doubles back on itself up to a gate. Turns left at the gate and climbs to a crest which is the acknowledged end point of the climb proper.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thats where i thought it may have started – wow! is all i can say…..starting at that little bridge at the bottom of the pennine bridleway….jeez that first section is super steep and super rocky, its hard enough getting down it, let alone getting up it 😆

i can honestly say id never in a million years be able to get up that in one swoop, probably not in 100 stop/starts let alone 1 🙂

the very start of jacobs ladder (going down) is also super super steep, how on earth can you ride up it, its almost vertical at the very start (highest point) 😆

crazy stuff, but whoever's done it (and im sure it will be under the number 10) deserve medals 🙂

cant imagine what level of fitness is required to do that, let alone skill.

will
    Free Member

I'd love to see somebody clean it!
    As for the start i class after the first gate off the little bridge? There are sections which are just impossible to ride 😆

tonto
    Free Member

I have seen someone ride all of it, however he did dab several times, each time he dabbed ha went back five yards or so and retried. Had to use some trials skills at some points.

elaineanne
    Free Member

do you get alot of grumbling walkers shouting the odds ? never been to Jacobs ladder…i must walk it sometime then see how far my little legs will cycle on it….lol 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

after watching this random video… i want a go !!!!!

benman
    Free Member

They are absolutely mincing down it… This guys shows how it should be done

http://vimeo.com/6653851

snowslave

Got to agree with general view it is impossible other than for gods. The first bit after the bridge is pretty hardcore with loads of loose rocks and stuff. Just to get to the 1st corner is pretty good going. But psychologically its a killer. You know at that point there is loads more to do, without thinking about the final 20 yards or so which is steep v technical, and when you're going to be completely wiped out.

Stopping and re-doing bits is worthy but doesn't count as clearing It. You've got to do the whole thing without dabbing.

alexxx
    Free Member

is he hell, he's got too much travel and it looks hump! its well smooth down there, certainly aint no garburn or wrynoes, I was all excited about going there to ride this till I saw that video 🙁

hora
    Free Member

I'm a shit rider yet even I could shift down Jacobs Ladder if you gave me a DH bike with Fox40 forks 😆

Remember the Pootle we did in the snow and ice down Jacobs? That was fun :mrgreen:

Agree with Snowslave- you've got to manual your wheel (I bet as theres **** all chance of me doing it) a fair few times and keep spinning atthe sametime.

peachos
    Free Member

i've got to the first corner before without dabbing. the whole thing is not impossible, you just need lungs of steel. the bottom section is loose, but not loose enough that it's unrideable – it just means that you really have to keep spinning in a reasonably low gear to get over stuff. it's this that knackers you out. i think i've ridden the top section from the gate with only a couple of dabs (the stupid ones where you know that you could have done it and when you re-try you clear it with ease); the rock up there is a much firmer, although there are a couple of step ups that need to be negotiated. only ever tried to go up the ladder a couple of times though, usually going the other way. maybe i need a trip there again soon…

ps – 6" FS bike for the win. no way i'd get the traction i needed from a HT.

nbt

alexxx – Member

is he hell, he's got too much travel and it looks hump! its well smooth down there, certainly aint no garburn or wrynoes, I was all excited about going there to ride this till I saw that video

Not ridden wrynose but have ridden Jacob's ladder and garburn, Jacob's is far hard as both climb and descent – I've ridden up most of garburn but gat less than 10 yards last time I tried Jacob's (and ripped my mech off nearer the top, so I'm reluctant to try it again! )

hora
    Free Member

Bloody ell. I haven't got a chance in hell of riding up Gaburn the descent-side.

nbt

hora – Member

Bloody ell. I haven't got a chance in hell of riding up Gaburn the descent-side.

tell us something we don;t know 😆

crazy-legs

I think NBT means riding up the Troutbeck side…

Problem with the video and photos is it flattens it all out. Jacobs is very rocky, very loose and the top part of packed stone steps is at least 25-35% gradient.

The climb can be broken down into 3. Bridge to RH hairpin is very loose baby head rocks, almost impossible to get going again if you stop. Hairpin bend to gate is the easiest bit, it's a lot smoother, more dirt than rock. Gate to summit starts off with a bitch of a climb but there's an "easy" line up one side, still very steep but at least it's smoothish. The track then levels out, just a shale stone surface and anyone can spin along that. Then it kicks up sharphly, the surface getting rockier but much more packed and steppy with a couple of steep bends and then right near the top a couple of hop-ups.

No one part is impossible but stringing the whole thing together into one continuous dab-free climb is one for seasoned Elite riders only. Makes a great challenge though, seeing how far you get, competing with your mates as to who can do which bit etc.

hora
    Free Member

I've NEVER met any angry walkers on Jacobs- Why? Almost all have been vocal in support.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Jacobs Ladder Climb’ is closed to new replies.