Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • I've just seen….
  • ollie
    Free Member

The international space station zooming across the sky, really bright and was shifting.
    I can't wait for 10:25 and it goes over again.

Have a look here for info and times, worth a look on a clear night like tonight.

maxsatnav
    Free Member

just been and had a look…bang on time here 10.26 till 10.28…. how bright was that…

ollie
    Free Member

Yeah, That's one of the coolest things i've seen in a long time, I'll be in the garden again tomorrow for another look.

It really did amaze me how bright it was and like you say bang on time.

jimmy

is there a timetable somewhere?

EDIT: just read the first post properly..

incognito
    Free Member

is that what it was. ruddy bright it was.

konabunny
    Free Member

…a descriptive thread title?

ollie
    Free Member

…a descriptive thread title?

And yet you still looked and felt it necessary to add a constructive post 🙄

Drac

Oh I wondered what it was.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

9.18 tonight where I am apparently. I might have a look out, although the trees behind my garden might not help!

ollie
    Free Member

It's certainly worth a look, I was surprised how bright it was and how it appears right on time from exactly where they said it would, not bad for something travelling at 17,000MPH

Xylene
    Free Member

not bad for something travelling at 17,000MPH

Bet it can't do a wheely though.

vinnyeh

great link, thanks for that.

maxsatnav
    Free Member

well i had to have another look tonight at 9.17 to make sure even longer in view… even the minisatnavs had a look.. "its an education thing"

scuttler

ISS just arseholed it straight over Cornwall. I've never seen it before but it's soooo easy to spot. Absolutely brill. Many thanks to the original poster and it will be putting in other good appearances over the next few nights.

PJ266
    Free Member

Saw it. Was cool.

Hohum
    Free Member

The first time I saw it was about 9 years ago when I lived up in Perth. It was a cold, snowy February evening and I was over at the park with my 2 year old daughter.

The sky was crystal clear and then I noticed I noticed this bright light moving at quite a rate through the sky.

I have always been interested in astronomy so this object perplexed me and I was straight back home on to google to find out what it was.

nickjb
    Free Member

That was indeed cool

Very bright and fast overhead

Then disappeared into the murk and light pollution

ollie
    Free Member

The sky was full of planes and stars tonight and we forgot how bright it was and thought we'd missed it then It just came over the top of our house silently bright as hell and made me smile again. 8)

portlyone

I went out to see it too. Missed Defoe's goal… oh well 🙂

avdave2

That was impressive, nice clear night in Brighton and just as it was disappearing from view a shooting star cut right across it's path.

I'll be out again tomorrow as we should be able to see it twice if it's clear.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Missed Defoe's goal

Which one?? 😀

scuttler

Loving the comments about it being right on time – that's orbital mechanics for you. Any earlier or any later and the ladies and gents on the space station would be bricking themselves.

tinribz
    Free Member

Went out at 9:18 (up north), was easily the brightest 'star' in the sky and passed across really fast West to East, inside a couple of minutes. Kids were impressed for a change.

konabunny
    Free Member

And yet you still looked and felt it necessary to add a constructive post

Yeah, I know. Sorry. This woulda been a prime contender for the PSA tag and a better title so that more people would have seen it…

bigG
    Free Member

9.44 tonight and I'll be having a look

retro83
    Free Member

Very bright even through the essex light pollution. Very cool web site.

Russell96

Bum, patchy clouds here, saw it for about 2 seconds no chance to take a pic

Rochey
    Free Member

can it be seen by the naked eye???

maxsatnav
    Free Member

"can it be seen by the naked eye???"

indeed it can

warton
    Free Member

yes definitely. on a good night in northumberland you see loads of satellites with the naked eye, its mental

Rochey
    Free Member

will I be able to see it from Milton Keynes? I have read the link above but if i'm honest I have no clue where or what i'm looking for, can you help?

jj55

Saw it the other night – wondered what the hell it was!

willej

Saw it last night, along with 2 or 3 shooting stars. Pretty damn cool.

Haze

Went pootling past ours earlier, pretty sure I saw it the other night too without realising what it was…

scuttler

When it's bright it's the brightest thing in the sky bar the sun and moon.

Seeing it from MK:
    Go here – http://spaceweather.com/flybys/search_results.php?lat=52.05&long=-0.683333&offset=0&country=GB&state=Milton%20Keynes&city=Broughton

For tomorrow (5th) look due west at 20:37 and if it's clear it'll be the unmistakable bright thing travelling apparently as fast as a plane but with no flashing navigation lights.

The next few nights it'll also appear from due west so you'll need to figure out which direction that is.

Don't worry about light pollution or dusk as it's very bright. The more -ive the magnitude number the brighter it is.

maxsatnav
    Free Member

west… is where the sun sets so not that hard to work out

martinxyz
    Free Member

I quite often stand in the garden and wait around for a "sattelite" to pass by. over the past 15 years or so ive been seeing them but never really bothered to find out about them.

Is this space station a lot brighter?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘I've just seen….’ is closed to new replies.