Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • I've got a bit of a rattle on my TCX, anyone help?
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Bikes been excellent so far and let’s be honest here it’s been thrashed too 😆

But I came in from a ride today and I now have a rattle. It’s sounds like its coming from the rear of the bike and I’ll be blowed but I can’t trace it 😕

I’ve been over the bike tightening things up (nothing was loose and therefore didn’t need tightening nor did I find anything loose)’
    Did the M search starting at the rear, so the wheels true, clamped up nice and tight, discs not loose, nor the caliper. The mechs tight and the hangers tight too.. So I then moved up and forward and checked everything else, alls tight, alls not loose.

So I’m wondering if anyone’s got any ideas.

The rattle started when I was riding over some small cobbles, continued on very poor Tarmac surfaces, mostly when I was out of the saddle either pushing hard or not it made no difference.

Only things I’ve played with arE cutting the steerer down and yesterday I removed the seat post and re sealed it with carbon paste and that’s it..

Anyone any ideas what I can check next ??

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Could be the internal cables moving around?
    My TCX alloy was very noisy from new.
    Went 1×10 and was a lot quieter!
    Very long front mech cable!
    Thanx,
    Max

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmmmm… Not checked that, good point 😀

Speshpaul

The little nut that screws around the presta valve.
    Take it off or add a turn of PTFE.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have you checked for any grommets (if that’s the word!) around the entrance to any internal routing coming loose and slipping inside the frame?

All spokes/nipples in place?

cinnamon_girl

That’s what happens when you don’t post a ride report!

Hope the ride went well and you enjoyed new territory. 😀

eskay

Headset spacers loose?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Can’t help with the rattle; but where at these cobbles? 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Where the gear cables go under the BB, and insert into the drive side stay, they have a ferrule on the end. Has that come off and slid down into the frame? Where it exits is just a bung, so doubt it’s anything there.

If you shake the bike does it do it, or just when riding?

cinnamon_girl

Curious about the cobbles too!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok, all fixed !!

Damn if it wasn’t the front mech cable rattling down the inside of the downtube as suggested by Mr Turnerfan1 ^^ up there..

So I’ve fashioned a small rubber grommet (as I don’t think there ever was one) at the entrance from the top of the downtube and taped it in place with some electrical tape. Then I’ve just put a cable tie around the cables just in front of the bars to keep them all together making sure the cable tie sits below the cable adjusters.

I’ve looked at all the other grommets and they’re in place but thanks for suggesting them. The cables running under the BB in a plastic runner guide were tight enough and I took the opportunity whilst down there to lube everything all up.

Job Done, Ta.

Now onto these “cobbles” Ok so I used poetic license there a bit 😆 but it’s hard to describe fire roads and gravel trails that are/have been hard packed with the very large bits of flint and shingle we get down here. If you’ve ever ridden some of the trails/tracks in the Northern part of the New Forest you’ll get the idea, there seems to be a lot of them there and over here my way.
    Also the lanes and some byways have very poor surfaces, pot holes that have merged together giving a very potted rough surface not unlike the Arenberg Forest section of Paris-Roubaix.. (Ok not really but marginally)

Thanks again folks..

Writeup on my stint in deepest Salisbury Plain will happen after I’ve ridden it today, just setting off as it happens..

Woo
    Hoo

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘I've got a bit of a rattle on my TCX, anyone help?’ is closed to new replies.