Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Oot harvestin'
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Last chance saloon before the MOT of Doom for the Land Rover.

The log shed has an empty bay that needs replenishing, I spent an enjoyable afternoon in the forest harvesting wood. The Beeches are just changing colour and Geese were landing on the Loch.

How are everyone’s log stores doing with winter around the corner?

ourmaninthenorth

Full.

But my stocking up isn’t so romantic. Phone man, he turns up and tips a trailer load on the driveway, student brother in law barrows and stacks.

MrOvershoot

No log store, though I do have a “World of Wood”. But I can spend ages watching the flying formations of Geese at this time of year I don’t know what it is but its very calming.
    Spent over an hour on Sunday evening down by the Dee Estuary watching them 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

My own log stores is doing great – should get one out with a strong coffee this afternoon.

sandwicheater

Not so good. Tis only small and i’ve about a third left. I knew I should have build another store, damn it!!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The going to get it is just as pleasurable as the burning of it for me. It’s especially rewarding on an autumn afternoon.

geoffj

All stores full. Managed to blag some space in a friends paddock to store some rings. Got a few cube of oak ready for splitting and a couple of lime butts that I can’t decide whether it is worth the effort to process or not.
    Processing the lime would involve swinging a 36″ bar on a mates ex-MOD husky – it’s a strangely appealing and yet terrifying proposition.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Ready to go. This was cut/split in April 2013 will see us through this winter and I’ve almost finished cutting and splitting 7m3 which is still outside for winter 2015.
    Need another delivery from my tree surgeon though otherwise the chainsaw and splitter are going to bored over the winter months!

Bunnyhop

The last weekend was full of the noise of local chainsawists.

We have 2 small full stores, 2 very small stores and a few large logs that hubby needs to split. Don’t think we’ll need those though as there is enough to get us through a tough, cold winter, if it turns out that way.

vorlich
    Free Member

I can tell you’re impressed. 😀

To be fair the stove isn’t getting fitted until the end of the month, but I’m going to need to get some ordered soon.

Mcmoonter, if it’s not too insulting a question – do you know any local suppliers? I’m down the road in Burntisland. I see there’s a sign by the side of the road near Dunearn, no idea if they’ll be any good though.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Is ^ that a birds nest?

trailmonkey

i thought this thread was going to be about something infinitely more interesting

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Mcmoonter, if it’s not too insulting a question – do you know any local suppliers? I’m down the road in Burntisland. I see there’s a sign by the side of the road near Dunearn, no idea if they’ll be any good though.

John and Roddy at Dunearn are good guys, they have a lot of seasoned wood. They deliver with a tip up Land Rover, I’m not sure if they do builders bags.

You could also try Scottish Wood near Oakley. They may deliver too.

The guys at the lodge here get theirs from someone out by Leven, but the delivery charge will be more.

There is also a guy on the old Kelty to Kinross road that looks really geared up .

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The going to get it is just as pleasurable as the burning of it for me. It’s especially rewarding on an autumn afternoon.

This + a million. A day liberating is every bit as good as a days riding. 😀

vorlich
    Free Member

Cheers, a tipper should be fine. I’ll give them a call if I can memorise their number next time I pass. That dodgy corner isn’t the best place to put a sign!

I’ve seen a few places out past Kirkcaldy and over Milnathort way, but I guess I should speak to the local folk first.

cozz
    Free Member

spent a rainy day assembling a 11 ft logstore, and half filled it with about 4 cubic metres of logs

do the rest tomorrow

logburner is lit

best enjoyed with single malt in hand

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I spent a couple of hours yesterday afternoon splitting the load and stacking it.

Just the empty bay in the long shed to refill and we are back up to full capacity. 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Oot harvestin'’ is closed to new replies.