Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I've discovered a hole in my frame
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

It’s a VooDoo Wanga and the hole is about the size of a flathead screwdriver tip. It’s horizontal and about 2″ below the top of the seat tube facing the wheel. It looks like corrosion is the cause (the frame’s six years old).

I’ve been thinking of getting rid of it (currently built up as a SS) so I can have space for a road bike.

Can anything be done with the frame? Is it worth much as it is?

wwaswas

I had that on a gary fisher;

got it shotblasted and they found this;

stevomcd
    Free Member

got it shotblasted and they found this

Yes, but was that there before they pelted it with shot? 😉

wwaswas

I’m not getting into the row about competency of the shotblasters and the media they used – we had that when I first posted these pics 😉

OP – I was trying to illustrate that what you can see on the surface may just be the symptoms of a far more severe problem.

theflatboy
    Free Member

wwaswas, why did you carry on with the colour change after you’d found all the holes?!

wwaswas

well….

I didn’t and was quite surprised he had to be honest. I suppose I hadn’t specifically said ‘look, if it’s a pile of swiss cheese when you’ve blasted it then stop there’ but I knew he did a lot of bike stuff so assumed he’d know and we’d discussed whther the corrosion woudl result in holes and that it wouldn;t be good if it did.

Anyway, he was doing a couple of frames for me at the same time and we came to an arrangement on the price.

dyl
    Free Member

What are these frames made of?

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

Rust!

TimothyD
    Free Member

If it’s not on a part of the frame that’s under much stress, I think some builders will just fill the hole for you, they put a little bit of brazing brass in or something like that.

I forget the details, but i’m sure i’ve read somewhere about holes in low load areas being filled with a little bit of metal or filler.

I’d take a pic and e-mail some frame builders if it was me.

You might only cover your costs with a little bit of money over I guess though.

TimothyD
    Free Member

…If you sell it afterwards.

cheez0
    Free Member

waswas, looks like shrapnel..

you been riding in Afghanistan?

seriously though, looks like damp has got in and rusted it out from inside.

bigthunder
    Free Member

What about jb superweld? Thats supposed to be good.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gripfill 😉

Seriously it’ll prob keep going forever (if that’s the only damage) but it’s not worth much – prob best to sell as is.

woodsman
    Free Member

NO frame builder will fill that with silver solder – it’s a new tube or the local tip! or a bit of shed wall art. It’s not the blasters fault either it’s rusted inside out.

Apologies for this crass comment OP and Wwaswas.., but to all the naysayers in the past – Waxoyl/Framesaver IS worth applying – from new if possible.

wwaswas

I agree woodsman – I bought it second hand and did that on receipt, I think the damage had already been done though. I use dinytol on all my frames (not the carbon one, though).

One of the few GF Ferrous frames to not snap at the seat stay/seat tube junction and thus last long enough to rust out, I think…

woodsman
    Free Member

Yep!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I've discovered a hole in my frame’ is closed to new replies.