Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • I've actualy seen one out in the real world…
  • singlespeedstu

Even though it was sat outside a pub and spotlessly clean like it had only just left a showroom.

Yep it was an Orange 5 650b. The 27.5 on the sidewall of the tyres seemed a bit of an exaduration to me. 😆

The tarmac it was sat on seemed to come alive.

Nice colour though. 🙂

mokl
    Free Member

Fair play. I have yet to knowingly see one.

gerryberry
    Free Member

What a pointless thread…

Houns

Saw a SC Bronson on the top of a car today in Bristol. It was a vectra 😯

singlespeedstu

What a pointless thread…

What a pointless reply. 8)

A Vectra?

How very dare they.

rOcKeTdOg

i saw one in The Trailhead Shrewsbury, next to a 29er one

thomthumb
    Free Member

i saw one last month.

does that make me more niche than SSStu 😯

singlespeedstu

I’m not niche i just have a large selection of bikes in my garage.
    None of which are as nice a colour as the 650b Orange 5 outside the pub was. 😕

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ve seen quite a few and ridden one too. It definitely feels higher when riding but not by much. I definitely need to spend more time on one.

singlespeedstu

I’ve ridden a few 650b bikes but only ever ridden two orange fives.
    They all felt like “bikes” to me…

The thing that confuses me is where does the 27.5 come from?

Is it the marketing man? 😉

Certainly doesn’t seem to be an actual measurement.

benji
    Free Member

Saw a SC Bronson on the top of a car today in Bristol. It was a vectra

That’s one way of keeping a Vectra alive.

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking of tipp-exing “650b” onto my tires. Should make my bike way cooler and more valuable…

zippykona

I saw one of those new bright yellow McLarens outside my shop a couple of weeks ago.
    Didn’t know what is was til I saw it in the paper.
    Still haven’t seen a 650b though.

aracer
    Free Member

The 27.5 on the sidewall of the tyres seemed a bit of an exaduration to me.

I shall have to remember to carry a pot of black paint to cover up the “.5” bit on any bikes I come across if they become commonplace.

brakes
    Free Member

MAYDAY! MAYDAY!
    we have a breach.
    repeat. we have a breach.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

saw a Bronson C with all the extras and a couple more 🙂 Looked awesome but more to do with the bike that the wheel sizes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

saw a carbon Bronson with X1 single ring set up
    Nice and light but a horrible colour

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I know this one was black too 🙂

Northwind

I saw my first one at the glentress seven, santa cruz were launching the Solo. The funny thing was, they had to put an awful lot of effort into telling people it was 650b, because you couldn’t really tell by looking at it. “You- you should be excited! The wheels are imperceptibly bigger!”

BigSteve
    Free Member

If you’d been at Llandegla today you’d have seen an Orange 5 Diva 650b and a Bronson C. Both seen riding with an old hat Yeti SB66C with stupidly small wheels. My mate has the Bronson and his missus the Diva. The Bronson really is a beauty of a bike.

jaylaz73

I’ve got one, it rocks!

It definitely feels higher when riding but not by much.

Have you tried lowering the saddle ?

lerk
    Free Member

I had a demo one last weekend…

…then bought the 29er version instead!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

It definitely feels higher when riding but not by much.

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member
    Have you tried lowering the saddle ?

Ha ha ha…

This was riding out the saddle on a medium when I’m normally on a Large/XL.

Keef
    Free Member

I’ve never seen one,and neither has my wife.are you sure it wasn’t just a naughty boy ?

ratherbeintobago

I saw my first one at the glentress seven, santa cruz were launching the Solo. The funny thing was, they had to put an awful lot of effort into telling people it was 650b, because you couldn’t really tell by looking at it. “You- you should be excited! The wheels are imperceptibly bigger!”

This would be the same SC that said, when they announced their 650b bikes, that they thought it was marketing bollocks and were only doing this because their customers were demanding it?

@stu – yes, 27.5 has come from the marketing need to suggest 650b is half way between 26″ & 29″. Which it isn’t.

johnellison
    Free Member

exaduration

Brilliant… 😯

theocb
    Free Member

Come on chaps stop being silly.
    27.5 is correct with average tyres fitted (Low profiles will set you up at 27, high profile will be around 28)
    It appears that some of you actually believe all so called 26ers are 26 inches.

scaredypants

This would be the same SC that said, when they announced their 650b bikes, that they thought it was marketing bollocks and were only doing this because their customers were demanding it?

what better reason for them to expect punters to be excited ? “Here – it’s what you’ve been frotting yourselves senseless over for months”

gamo
    Free Member

My 26″ Five with Hans Dampf measures a perfect 27.5, I’m so lucky 🙂

parkesie
    Free Member

Was it being pushed down snowdon?

aracer
    Free Member

27.5 is correct with average tyres fitted

In the same way that 26.5 is correct with average tyres fitted to a bike with normal size wheels. Maybe I should just tippex the “.5” on my tyres instead.

Rik
    Free Member

My 26″ Five with Hans Dampf measures a perfect 27.5, I’m so lucky

Love quotes like this one – now image how big 27.5 wheels will be with a big tyre on like Hans Dampfs. Bigger still….

corsair
    Free Member

now image how big 27.5 wheels will be with a big tyre on like Hans Dampfs.

About 29 inches.

Wait – now I’m really confused. 😕

Still, at least I can recognise 650b by whether or not the trail underneath is coming alive.

Unless it’s full suss of course, as the deadening effect of that may cancel out the animation from the wheel size.

Ah, now I see why they have to write the size on the tyres… 💡

tomhoward

I’ve ridden a 650b five, a bronson c and a solo c.

They are bikes. They are nice bikes.

robowns
    Free Member

Still, at least I can recognise 650b by whether or not the trail underneath is coming alive. Unless it’s full suss of course, as the deadening effect of that may cancel out the animation from the wheel size.

Too true, this issue keeps me awake at night. Maybe a full suss 27.5 will feel like a 26, that’d be great, I’ll get two.

psling
    Free Member

I wish I’d hung on to my first adult-size bike; it had 28″ tyres. Then I could have totally confused Stu. Now, what standard for mx rims 😕 😉

singlespeedstu

Just a little update.
    We stoped at the same pub today and the patch of tarmac that was alive with the 27.5 Orange 5 sat on it yesterday looked like it wasn’t alive any more. 😐

Maybe someone needs to do a test to see how long the ground stays alive after the 27.5 wheels have left.

Edit for Pete.
    21/20 front 18/19 rear seems to be quite standard. 😉

Houns

Which pub was it and what colour was the orange bike?

If the pub is local I’ll make sure I stop by to see if the Tarmac comes alive again

singlespeedstu

I don’t think it will Houns.

I gave it a good kick yesterday and it didn’t move.
    (Blue and the Navi)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘I've actualy seen one out in the real world…’ is closed to new replies.