Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • ITV – why…?
  • yoshimi

Erm…….Corrie – it’s the best, X-factor is good also but the rest is rubbish

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Gladiators was mint.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Why? – For Cheryl Cole

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_lB5L-gOkk[/video]

psling
    Free Member

The thing about ITV is that it has to raise advertising revenue and therefore needs to produce programmes that attract large viewing figures. It would however appear that a number of the programmes that attract large viewing figures also attract derision from high-brow viewers.

My observation is that a lot of STW forum dwellers seem to know an awful lot about such programmes whilst at the same time professing not to watch them… 🙄 😆

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The OP asked for a justification for ITV, you appear to have listed a variety of programmes which I suspect have fairly high viewing figures. So has ITV justified itself or not ?

You’re missing the point. The OP doesn’t like ITV programming, so the whole channel should be switched off. End of. It’s got nothing to do with how many people watch the programmes and all to do with self-appointed arbiters of Good Taste. We should be watching all that educational highbrow stuff on the BBC, like Eastenders and Celebrity Come Dancing
    Although you’d think that someone who knows so much about TV would be able to operate the remote

donks
    Free Member

Still, it could be worse. It could be Channel 5

I beg to differ there shed loads more on 5 than ITV, at least 5 seem to have some pretty up to date films being aired at the moment.

Corra’s the only thing watched on 3 in our house.

AdamW
    Free Member

How old are you lot?

The only good thing to come out of ITV was the Muppets. 6:30pm on Sunday IIRC!

kimbers

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Doc Martin. Foyle’s War. That’s it.

DezB
    Free Member

Are you lot really saying you don’t watch You’ve Been Framed?
    “Sorry Mum, it was an accident” was the highlight of my year’s viewing.

Blackhound

I rarely look at itv schedules these days as nothing I am interested on it. Agree with Psling though, it is a commercial channel and if people were not watching it then they would show something else.

Just looked at tv ratings for last few days and ‘I’m a celebrity’ got 12.4m viewers and x-factor 15m. Coronation Street gets massive numbers so can 20-25% of the population be wrong?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The only good thing to come out of ITV was the Muppets

Daft statement. The muppets had no idea what they were doing, bunch of mup…

oh, hold on.

DezB
    Free Member

so can 20-25% of the population be wrong?

change the wr for a m

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The only good thing to come out of ITV was the Muppets

BMW and taxi drivers come out of ITV? Well I never.

ourmaninthenorth

Though I have little time for the vast amount of ITV’s output, there have been some good progs on the network – e.g The South Bank Show, far better than BBC’s Imagine (though I like Yentob). It was the longest running arts programme on British TV (1978-2009).

Even the usually execrable Sky and its bullish, brash advertising and willingness to broadcast some awful drivel, manages to have two arts channels, often far better than BBC4 and its eternal repetition of limited content.

I mean, even Channel 5 (pre Desmond), a channel born out of a manifesto of “Three Fs: football, films and fornication”, managed to have a series presented by Brian Sewell on religuious pilgrimage (The Naked Pilgrim).

So, to say that ITV is worthless, valueless and pointless misses some of the good it has achieved. TV should be educational AND entertaining. If the masses are happy to be entertained with the visual equivalent of soma from (what Michael Franti called) the cathode ray nipple, let them. The rest of us can do as we used to be instructed by Why Don’t You.

john_drummer
    Free Member

You’re right, I did misread that about NTNOCN. 😳

binners

I rely on ITV for news.

As otherwise I’d never find out what Jordan or Kerry Katonna were up to. If the tabloids didn’t ignore the subject, or maybe even if there were a magazine dedicated soley to their exploits, then I could happily read about them instead and get back to watching Newsnight 🙄

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘ITV – why…?’ is closed to new replies.